Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/27/2009 9:47pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Questions:
    -How are transitioning between submissions handled with the ground controls? Can I switch a defended kneebar into a calf crush?
    -Is there/will there be a character creation mode?
    -Don't know (neither Shogun or Chuck does AFAIK), but hopefully. Different fighters have different techniques, but who knows just how individualized it'll get? Maybe we'll have Lyoto Machida with a unique ability to do a switch kick, but then again they might have just gone with a basic Muay Thai/Boxing/Wrestling/etc. moveset and the combinations they make.

-Yes, definitely. There's a menu option for it on the demo, but you can't select it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/27/2009 10:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** is hard.

Also, they've got throws from the clinch but no Jon Jones? Colour me disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 8:14am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta say- I was skeptical that they'd be able to do a decent MMA game because of the grappling, but they did a good job with it. It took me a good 20-30 minutes to figure out the controls, but I think the complex controls were necessary to do it right. I'm seriously gonna get this when it comes out.

Although have to say, if I used this game as a predictor, I would never have thought Rua could have knocked Liddell out standing up. The only way I could get Rua to punch out Liddell was from the mount. Whenever the two went toe-to-toe Liddell just creamed Rua. I was playing this with a friend and we both had the same experience.

Above all though, the best part has got to be that unlike a lot of other fighting games, playing well is a matter of picking a strategy and executing the proper move at the proper time, rather than "can you execute an awkward combination of stick movements and button presses early and often."

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 12:09pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple things: First off, I got a few specifics in the article wrong - the character's trademark transitions are minors with the LB button being the biggest.

I've figured out more about subs - turning the stamina bar on in the options will help you see how they work - when you get a sub, both character's stamina starts to drop, at a rate determined by your relative position - the better your position, the less stam you need relative to your opponent to try to sub. When you opponent runs out of stam, he will tap.

It's not a contest of stamina, though - there are several chances for escapes in the subs, although I've been just spinning the joystick and I haven't worked out their timing yet.

Moj0: don't be bitter because you suck at streetfighter. That guy is not a guy you want to be.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    -Don't know (neither Shogun or Chuck does AFAIK), but hopefully. Different fighters have different techniques, but who knows just how individualized it'll get? Maybe we'll have Lyoto Machida with a unique ability to do a switch kick, but then again they might have just gone with a basic Muay Thai/Boxing/Wrestling/etc. moveset and the combinations they make.

-Yes, definitely. There's a menu option for it on the demo, but you can't select it.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of combo'd subs in the game. The sub you attempt in a given position depends on the fighter's style - you attempt a sub and he does the one that's right for his style and the position. They had to hit a ceiling somewhere. Trust me, the game is complicated enough. I have a few small complaints with the game - there's no thai shield, for example, at least not for Rua or Liddell, and I've heard a rumor that there aren't any southpaws in it. (Some southpaw fighters are in it, but they fight orthodox)

In general, if you want to play this well, the tutorial is not the real key - the real key is the moves list avail. from the pause menu. It's individualized to the character and has a lot more detail. There's also a position chart you can access from the list.

As far as roster complaints go, the released roster of 80 doesn't include the two DLC chars or unlockables, which evidently ARE in the game - Babalu, Royce G. and Couture among others have all been tossed around on the rumor mill but not confirmed.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 4/28/2009 12:25pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 7:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23 View Post
    Although have to say, if I used this game as a predictor, I would never have thought Rua could have knocked Liddell out standing up.
    PROTIP: For improved realism, remove the right top trigger when playing as Chuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, Rua is actually almost as dangerous as chuck, but his "killer move" is his thai clinch knee and it's just a little harder to get too. Rua also has a transition from under side control TOO side control which is lethal in this game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:37pm

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I been playing the hell out of the demo since it came out; I had it preordered so I got to mess around with it a little early.

I love how getting hit actually can stun you and knock your own punches and kicks off. I got a question though. Anyone figure out if there's some kind of wall clinch game, or if there's any benefit from shoving a guy's head against the cage when you're on the ground? I wasn't able to find any kind of special situation for being against the cage.l

Also, are we gonna have to start posting up gamertags so we can have Bullshido UFC '09 meetings?

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:57pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a weird thing: learning to play this game goes through (for me) a similar progression as actually learning how to grapple. Namely, my success rate with Rua improved dramatically when, on the ground, I stopped frantically trying to punch Chuck every second of every round, and relaxed and focused on holding position. Mixing up striking and defending against reversals (with back on the right stick) is much more successful against the AI than button mashing.

Color me impressed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2009 2:51pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    PROTIP: For improved realism, remove the right top trigger when playing as Chuck.
    No kidding- when I saw Liddell fight Rua my first thought was "You know, when I leave my hands down like that, I just get wailed in the face."

...And apparently so does he.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast