...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Ordnance View Post
    Mine shoot s great, but failes to eject. There is still a shell lodged in the breach, I may just keep this one (48 dollars) for parts and pick up a slightly less beat up version. I do love the damn thing, and I just bought 500 rounds of Bulgarian ammo...
    My mosin sometimes has difficulty extracting casings as well. I think it only happens when the rifle gets hot. It could actually be a function of non-brass casings from Bulgaria expanding due to heat or some crap.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 7:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    Sorry to zombie, but the local gun shop has these on sale for 89.99 this week. I'm going to pick one up tonight. Any suggestions on what to look out for? I know to check the crown and make sure it's got rifling and to check for cracks and to make sure the serial numbers match. Anything else?
    Headspace among other things.

Look HERE
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is headspace?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 4:25pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ended up not buying one. They were just in way to poor condition for me. I'm just going to save my money and pick up a Rem 700.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 11:36am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    My mosin sometimes has difficulty extracting casings as well. I think it only happens when the rifle gets hot. It could actually be a function of non-brass casings from Bulgaria expanding due to heat or some crap.

Follow-up:

This is exactly the problem. Cheap Bulgarian ammo...tricky to eject. Maybe one casing in 5 sticks. Dry-fire once and it ejects just fine.

Quality ammo from Cabela's: Smooth as glass and dead-on straight.

Pro-tip: Percussion form good ammo will break your cheap-ass mail-order scope mount. I promise.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 5:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I just bought a cleaned up and ready to shoot Mosin Nagant w/bayonet and toolkit and a box of ammo - $130

I am now choosing a small, european country to dominate. I think I may begin with Luxembourg.

it's a 91/30 with a hex receiver from the tula arsenal circa 1927

did I get hosed by the mean man at the gun store or did I do OK?
    If it is in good condition, and all the numbers match, then you've all but stolen that rifle! (Tula, Hex, pre-WWII, all are "rare" features.)

If you look under the tang on the receiver, you can find the original manufacture date. It is possible you have a weapon with components older than the date currently displayed. Just a fun little detail that adds to the history, and mystery of each of those old war horses.

Good find, shoot safe bro!

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 5:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Those "non-brass" casings from ex-combloc nations usually have a thin lacquer coating. This coating tends to stick in chambers when it gets warm.

I like Czech surplus personally. It's basically government contract stuff from Sellier and Bellot. Good ammo at a value.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 7:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ended up not buying one. They were just in way to poor condition for me. I'm just going to save my money and pick up a Rem 700.
    Uh, a Rem 700 is going to cost way way way more than the 80 bucks or so for a Mosin on sale. I don't know how you're saving money.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 8:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be a bitch. Get an M39 or K-31 or something.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    1/05/2010 6:03am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Mark 1/2? What's that? Never heard of that.
    Sorry missed your post way back then but this is what wikipedia says, I wasn't sure myself, explains why it looks like a bitser.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    In the years after the Second World War, the British produced the No. 4 Mk 2 (Arabic numerals replaced Roman numerals for official designations in 1944) rifle which saw the No. 4 rifle being refined and improved with the trigger being hung from the receiver and not from the trigger guard,[34] the No. 4 Mk 2 rifle being fitted with beech wood stocks and brass buttplates (during World War II, the British dispensed with brass buttplates for their No.4 rifles in favour of steel ones to reduce production costs and to speed up rifle production). With the introduction of the No. 4 Mk 2 rifle, the British refurbished all their existing stocks of No. 4 rifles and brought them up to the same standards as the No. 4 Mk 2.[35] No. 4 Mk 1 rifles so upgraded were re-designated as the No. 4 Mk I/2 rifle, whilst No. 4 Mk I* rifles that were brought up to Mk 2 standards were re-designated as the No. 4 Mk I/3 rifle.[32]
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast