Posted On:
    1/16/2004 7:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ST principles applied to the MA

Strength Training Principles Applied to the Martial Arts

Strength training (ST) is common place now in the MA, just like almost every other sport.
    The indispensable benefits of ST can’t be ignored.
    So lets us take a look at the most common principles of ST and see how we can APPLY them to MA.

The Law of Individual Differences:
    No two people are alike genetically, the recovery rate, their capacity for speed/strength, their “natural” athletic ability, etc. When designing a ST program those things are taken into account, SO... perhaps they should also be taken into account when choosing a MA or teaching a MA.
    You MUST tailor the MA to the individual, NOT the other way around. An instructor must take into account the REASONS an individual is training in a MA, and teach accordingly.

The Overcompensation Principle:
    Your body overcompensates for the demands put on it through ST by making the muscles stronger/larger so they can deal with the demand placed on them.
    In the MA your body goes through much the same process, although it may be more in terms of endurance than muscle growth/strength increase.

Overload Principle:
    You MUST progressively lift heavier weights ( overload your muscles) to get stronger, if you always bench 200lbs and never try 210lbs, you will NOT get stronger/progress.
    This is the MOST important principle, in my opinion. Too many people are consumed with how many sets, reps, workouts, that they forget that, if they are NOT progressing in the amount of weight they are lifting, they are NOT getting stronger.
    Same thing in the MA, if you do NOT try to hit the bag HARDER, FASTER, if you do not try for the extra round on the bag, if you do NOT try to but in the submission in 30 seconds instead of 1 minute, or try that throw that you have been wondering about, you will NOT PROGRESS.

SAID Principle:
    Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands:
    If you want to Squat more weight , you need to SQUAT, leg presses WON’T do it !!
    If you want to run faster, you must learn to fun FASTER.
    This is a VERY important principle as it applies to the MA, if you want to improve in a particular facet of the MA, you need to perform THAT facet:
    If you need to improve your cardio on the bag, you need to do MORE BAG WORK !! Not road work, not swimming, not cycling, BAG WORK !!
    If you need to improve your cardio in grappling you need to GRAPPLE !!! Not do bag work, not running, GRAPPLING !!

GAS Principle:
    General Adaptation Syndrome:
    Your body WILL adapt to your routine, no matter what.
    You need to vary the intensity of your workouts, or the recovery period between them, HOW you workout, the length of your workout ( this goes hand-in-hand with the intensity part, the MORE intense your workout, the LESS you can workout, the LESS intense, the LONGER you can workout for).
    This is the same for ST or MA.

Specificity Principle:
    You get Better at running by running, you get stronger by lifting weights ( and in particular, you get stronger in the ST exercises you do. EX: you get stronger in the Bench Press IF you do the Bench Press, you get stronger in the DIP, if you do the DIP).
    Same thing in the MA, Progress achieved in striking does NOT translate to grappling and vice a versa, endurance achieved in running for 5 miles does NOT translate to Bag work.
    If you want to be Better, to Improve, to Progress, in a particular MA, or particular facet of training, THAT SPECIFIC art/facet MUST be trained.

In closing:
    Realise that ANYTHING the involves the human body needs to fall on the principles of anatomy, bio-mechanics and physics ( as physics relates to the human body in movement).
    Strength Training has A LOT to offer, not only for developing Strength, but also for understand how are bodies work.

As Martial Artists, are bodies are what we improve on, we dedicate our life, to trying to perfect our bodies to accomplish certain goals/tasks, We compete, in the end, with NO ONE BUT OURSELVES to attain these goals.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 8:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent Ronin, a very insightful article of information.But martial artists are not body builders and as a result we should not train the same. You yourself say many times you only do strength training at the gym once a week since you do martial arts 3 - 4 times a week. Theres only so much one session can give you.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was refering to using ST based principles and applying them to the MA.
    And the principles are NOT bodybuilding principles but Strength training.

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 10:27am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My girl likes how I can pick her up and walk around like it's nothing.
    And how I can swing her above my head. Snatch, clean and jerk!

:D

And there ain't nothing wrong with being a bodybuilder. :)
    (Yeah....well maybe a bit.)

"If you need to improve your cardio in grappling you need to GRAPPLE !!! Not do bag work, not running, GRAPPLING !!"
    WTF? I thought if I just practice my kata grappling moves will manifest themselves!

Edit: Edited for my pour spelinng!
    Last edited by PizDoff; 1/16/2004 12:22pm at .

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except that is not what most bodybuilders in my experience work for piz. Never seen one do cleans of any variety. Maybe the didn't know what they were doing, but I'd be surprised if doing such exercises were common for bodybuilders.

Ronin, I'd agree with the caveat that there is going to be some transference of cardio capability. If you improve cardio running you're going to see some (in my case probably dramatic) improvement in other categories of carido exertion.

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 12:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no no no Dochter.
    You read me wrong!

:)

I am not linking powerlifting techniques to bodybuilding techniques here.
    Though I consider myself a "powerbuilder."
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 2:43am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting article. Heh, you just reminded me to push harder...and well add some weight to my bench press :p.