Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a big fan off Goldberg's commentary, but he IS very knowledgable.

All you have to do is listen to him give an interview about MMA when he is not commentating. He knows a lot about boxing, MT, and BJJ and can predict fights and discuss strategy with the best of them. The first couple of times I heard him I was almost convinced it was a different guy, but it wasn't.

I used to train with a guy who was on a local radio show that had Goldberg or Dana on before almost every PPV. I asked him why Goldberg sounded so smart, knowledable, and funny on the radio but was a complete idiot on PPV. The answer I got was "He's doing his job." When he is commentating he is supposed to nut hug the UFC and be the chessy "broadcaster guy" that pretty much every commentator was taught to be either in school or through years of in the booth. If he didn't he wouldn't be the PPV voice of the UFC or any of the other sports he commentates.

Bottomline is, as much as I hate to listen to it, Goldberg's douchatude is a act that he is very good at and makes him a lot of money.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 10:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe View Post
    Goldberg's favourite word: "teep".
    What about Rogan's "mission control" and/or "crackhead control"?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Joe Rogan has improved quite a bit with his commentary, so I give him props for that.
    Haven't heard the words "mission control" or "crackhead control" lately, so there's been some improvement indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sircmas View Post
    Goldberg's UFC contract is for $1.5mil
    Call him douche, he's making th3 mucho dinero. That's just the way it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 11:09am

Style: shotokai/bjj/MT/ex-BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to see UFC 150: Goldberg vs Buffer Battle of the suits. I'd give the fight to Buffer.

Seriously i think that if they just done some events without Goldberg and Rogan and saw fan's reactions. I'd like to see maybe Randy C and Rampage. On the referee note, all the refs need to study Big John, as he was an amazing ref.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 11:22am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to see Goldberg v Rogan. Classic Striker vs Grappler matchup.

Goldberg does some Muay Thai (although he may only know the teep) and Rogan is a 10th Planet guy.

Sidebar - has anyone seen the Eddie Bravo book where Rogan is the opponent in all the demo photos? I just saw it this weekend and started laughing out loud in Barnes and Noble. Rogan's quote on the back is something like "I honestly believe that this will be the most important book for grappling in the history of mankind."

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 12:30pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Sidebar - has anyone seen the Eddie Bravo book where Rogan is the opponent in all the demo photos? I just saw it this weekend and started laughing out loud in Barnes and Noble. Rogan's quote on the back is something like "I honestly believe that this will be the most important book for grappling in the history of mankind."
    The book is Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed, and it has been discussed on this site before. In fact, this site is the reason that I've got a copy.

A copy of the book should be included in a complete series box set of News Radio.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 12:50pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie Evergreen View Post
    The book is Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed, and it has been discussed on this site before. In fact, this site is the reason that I've got a copy.
    That's the one. Do you think it's the most important grappling book in the history of mankind? Should I have bought it?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    I'm not a big fan off Goldberg's commentary, but he IS very knowledgable.

All you have to do is listen to him give an interview about MMA when he is not commentating. He knows a lot about boxing, MT, and BJJ and can predict fights and discuss strategy with the best of them. The first couple of times I heard him I was almost convinced it was a different guy, but it wasn't.

I used to train with a guy who was on a local radio show that had Goldberg or Dana on before almost every PPV. I asked him why Goldberg sounded so smart, knowledable, and funny on the radio but was a complete idiot on PPV. The answer I got was "He's doing his job." When he is commentating he is supposed to nut hug the UFC and be the chessy "broadcaster guy" that pretty much every commentator was taught to be either in school or through years of in the booth. If he didn't he wouldn't be the PPV voice of the UFC or any of the other sports he commentates.

Bottomline is, as much as I hate to listen to it, Goldberg's douchatude is a act that he is very good at and makes him a lot of money.
    no it's not.

Goldberg is a general idiot. He sounds like a retard while on air because he's on his iphone texting... ON AIR. He gets bored and doesn't want to pay attention.

When he's interviewing or talking with a camera, he sounds more "there" because he has to. He's got coaching and he's got pre-determined questions and **** he's already good for.

He's been at this for years, he knows how to be funny and charming and knows what to say to sound knowledgeable. Otherwise, he's just a huge douche.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 1:19pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    That's the one. Do you think it's the most important grappling book in the history of mankind? Should I have bought it?
    Not really, I sometimes use it as a reference for certain body mechanics (very difficult to articulate, suffice it to say that I sometimes wonder "how does that position prevent [limb] from moving?")—the kind of thing I'd learn if I actually grappled.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 7:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goldberg is HUMAN???? I thought he was one of those automated machines that spews out THIS FIGHT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY XXXX MOVIE (cheesy line about movie eg. its out of this world) over and over.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sircmas View Post
    When he's interviewing or talking with a camera, he sounds more "there" because he has to. He's got coaching and he's got pre-determined questions and **** he's already good for.

He's been at this for years, he knows how to be funny and charming and knows what to say to sound knowledgeable. Otherwise, he's just a huge douche.
    You would think he should have coaching, but does he listen? He calls hooks jabs and cant name anything but a kimura.

He should know how to sound a little better for all his years.

He can sell some **** though, and remind me of the next three fights and how/where to buy...over...and over...and over...

and over...

again.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast