Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 12:25am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Bas hasn't fought in some time, and the game has changed a bit (not much, but a bit), and Big John, as far as I know, has never actually fought.
    Neither of your points is relevant to a person's ability to provide useful commentary.

In the years since he fought, Bas has been training fighters and providing commentary for various combat sports broadcasts. This means he is both a) up to date with the state of the art, and b) well experienced with ringside commentating. I can't think of a single HDNet broadcast I've watched, wherein he was a commentator, that Bas wasn't articulate, accurate, and sometimes almost psychic. It would be interesting to see if anyone has real statistics on this, but I think it's fair to say that Bas is "batting" at least .500 in predicting a technique moments before it's applied.

I don't think Big John has as much experience as Bas does with commentating, but he's sure as hell current with the state of the game. In fact, Big John's complaint about many referees and judges is that they aren't students of the game in the manner he is.
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 12/30/2009 12:26am at . Reason: added a missing letter

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 12:36am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Agreed.
    I agree with your agreement.

Sadly, the reality remains that we have had a small debate on what would be a much MORE PERFECT WORLD than our subjection to the obtuse and often misinformed Goldbooger. But total wish fiction. dammit.

Someday maybe the Gods of sport may shine down on us and corporate directives meet core functionality and we might be blessed with "non sucking commentary" for the UFC and televised fighting beyond!

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough, all three are good commentators, and well above people like Mauro, Goldberg, or Tito.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 12:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Irie Evergreen;

I don't think Big John has as much experience as Bas does with commentating, but he's sure as hell current with the state of the game. In fact, Big John's complaint about many referees and judges is that they aren't students of the game in the manner he is.[/quote]

Exactly, Big John trains and has been in the ring a lot more than a lot of us. And he has an extroverted personality that might be personable and positive on tv- but I dont know if it would translate.

I do know that he was the only good judge the UFC had!

I think he trains at Randy's Gym doesnt he?

Like Miletich, I liked Bas's commentating the one time I heard it.
    Last edited by Nwp; 12/30/2009 12:50am at .

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 1:49am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I remember back in the day I used to mute my T.V. and put the radio or my walkman on and listen to Chick Hearn call the Lakers games. He was so much better then the tv commentators. I know and have met allot of guys who did the same thing. Now if only we could tune into a radio/internet radio station and do the same thing. That would be awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 8:33am

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was rewatching a few of the classics and realized something just now...

Jeff Blatnik(sp?) FTW!!!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 12:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blatnik? I remember him doing some announcing back in the day with collegiate wrestling and I think he would be great- good call throw him in the pile.

Although if memory serves he wasnt exactly much of a polished commentator, but he is educated and well versed in calling the action.

Watched Nog. vs. Cot. last night again to show a friend Nate KTFO Demian Meia (or whatever his name is spelled), and WOW goldberg said about 379 stupid, erroneous, and or incorrect things.

Cant wait till tom. nite. Maybe I will mute it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 1:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwp View Post
    Blatnik? I remember him doing some announcing back in the day with collegiate wrestling and I think he would be great- good call throw him in the pile.

Although if memory serves he wasnt exactly much of a polished commentator, but he is educated and well versed in calling the action.

Watched Nog. vs. Cot. last night again to show a friend Nate KTFO Demian Meia (or whatever his name is spelled), and WOW goldberg said about 379 stupid, erroneous, and or incorrect things.

Cant wait till tom. nite. Maybe I will mute it.
    You failed kindergarten 15 times didn't you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 1:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    I think it's just the sport. Found this clip of Goldberg on The Rumble doing some news-y stuff for college basketball. He sounds fine here, I think he just refuses to pay attention or get educated on the sport.

YouTube- Mike Goldberg before he was the voice of the UFC.
    In this he's reading off the prompter for almost all of it. The only non-scripted things he said are:

1. What teams did you pick?
    2. A tease to guests in a later segment.

I still like the Rogan-Goldberg team though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 7:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The 13th day of XMAS View Post
    You failed kindergarten 15 times didn't you?
    No, no, no. I just failed kindy thrice times! It was third grade I really had the problems with.

I think its cuz my dad injured me so many times while he was trying to teach me "th3 deadly"!
    Last edited by Nwp; 1/01/2010 7:43pm at . Reason: because I post like I think, and its not that linear, or sharp
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast