222001 Bullies, 3943 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 73
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    11/22/2009 8:01pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I think I just learned a little bit more about women today.
    I don't think this is a male/female thing. If it seems like your coach doesn't give a **** then they're not much of a coach. Maybe guys are just less attuned to what a good coach is :P A good coach isn't just someone that tells you what to do and holds pads for you, a good coach gets on your ass about making the most of the talent you have and making sure you're really getting the most out of your training.

    If your coach is ambivalent to your showing up or not, then they're not going to do much for your fight career. Good coaches are excited about their fighters. I have never met a good coach that didn't show that they really had some sort of mental and emotional investment in their fighters and I've met a lot of coaches.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  2. Whathappened is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Posted On:
    11/22/2009 10:03pm


     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I don't think this is a male/female thing. If it seems like your coach doesn't give a **** then they're not much of a coach. Maybe guys are just less attuned to what a good coach is :P A good coach isn't just someone that tells you what to do and holds pads for you, a good coach gets on your ass about making the most of the talent you have and making sure you're really getting the most out of your training.

    If your coach is ambivalent to your showing up or not, then they're not going to do much for your fight career. Good coaches are excited about their fighters. I have never met a good coach that didn't show that they really had some sort of mental and emotional investment in their fighters and I've met a lot of coaches.
    Ha!

    Maybe its because I'm chinese, I'd find it very uncomfortable for my coach would call me if I'm coming to the gym. ****... I got enough pressure from work and play to worry about my coach hounding my ass to turn up! :5eek:

    I'd rather he pull me aside, pat on the back, saying something like, "You got potential to go pro, think about it and look me up when you think if you're up for it."

    If I missed a class, a text something like, "hey man, you missed some great stuff last class. See you around."

    Calls about 'Why didn't you turn up?" and I'll be running far far away.
  3. Whathappened is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Posted On:
    11/22/2009 10:23pm


     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I don't think this is a male/female thing. If it seems like your coach doesn't give a **** then they're not much of a coach.
    It is a male thing, I now recall forming a men's dragonboat team for my technical school back in the 90s.

    I did the calling and the reminders and "How we missed you" story.

    I had complaints that I was harassing, some threatened to complain to the school board for it had I not explained myself that I was just trying to show concern and be a good organiser. lol.

    Then rumors started circulating around the same time that I was gay...

    Like I said, gender differences.:qcheerlea
  4. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    11/23/2009 12:14am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Ha!

    Maybe its because I'm chinese, I'd find it very uncomfortable for my coach would call me if I'm coming to the gym. ****... I got enough pressure from work and play to worry about my coach hounding my ass to turn up! :5eek:

    I'd rather he pull me aside, pat on the back, saying something like, "You got potential to go pro, think about it and look me up when you think if you're up for it."

    If I missed a class, a text something like, "hey man, you missed some great stuff last class. See you around."

    Calls about 'Why didn't you turn up?" and I'll be running far far away.
    I'm not saying that you should harass every student that signs up for your class, this is just something our coach did with the serious fighters actually interested in pursuing a serious fight career. Doing martial arts as a casual hobby and being a serious competitor are very different. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to get harassed by your coach all the time, but it works.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  5. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    11/23/2009 12:15am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    It is a male thing, I now recall forming a men's dragonboat team for my technical school back in the 90s.

    I did the calling and the reminders and "How we missed you" story.

    I had complaints that I was harassing, some threatened to complain to the school board for it had I not explained myself that I was just trying to show concern and be a good organiser. lol.

    Then rumors started circulating around the same time that I was gay...

    Like I said, gender differences.:qcheerlea
    The circumstances here are a tad different.

    edit: I'd just like to clarify that the "calling" thing was only something I'd do with those prepping for fights.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  6. Whathappened is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Posted On:
    11/23/2009 9:35am


     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I'm not saying that you should harass every student that signs up for your class, this is just something our coach did with the serious fighters actually interested in pursuing a serious fight career. Doing martial arts as a casual hobby and being a serious competitor are very different. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to get harassed by your coach all the time, but it works.
    I apologize for not being clear enough, the members I was "harassing" were people who I personally spoke with and knew their interest in dragon boat racing, even had 2 guys been waiting for 5 years for an opportunity to join dragon boat...

    The more often I called, the less guys turned up, until we had less than 1/3 of a boat, at that point I thought "ah, I'm fucked" and told everyone "I'll stop caring who comes or left as its clear this club won't be rowing a dragon boat anytime soon."

    Next week... bam...

    Everyone turned up and even had extra folks. o.O;;
    I asked those who were usually missing if they came because they heard from others that we're closing the club, but no, they came, because they felt less pressured when I stopped calling them...

    One of them even became the team captain. . .
  7. Sang is offline
    Sang's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,248

    Posted On:
    11/23/2009 11:43am


     Style: MMA, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe the difference is more team versus individual sports. No one wants to be singled out in a team sport but when it comes to ring fighting you're stuck in there with only one guy trying to beat your head in and another guy there to facilitate it. You can't fall back on anyone and i think it puts a much bigger onus of responsibility on you to get into the gym and do the training.

    My coach will ring me occasionally if i have a fight booked to make sure I'm doing my out of gym work and to tell me some videos to look up and i really appreciate it. If your coach doesn't take an extra interest it saps away a lot of your fight confidence. There is nothing worse than being trained for a fight by someone who doesn't give a **** if you win or lose.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
  8. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,288

    Posted On:
    11/23/2009 12:36pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I'm not saying that you should harass every student that signs up for your class, this is just something our coach did with the serious fighters actually interested in pursuing a serious fight career. Doing martial arts as a casual hobby and being a serious competitor are very different. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to get harassed by your coach all the time, but it works.
    when i was coaching someone for a fight, i expected them to keep a training log of their roadwork and other training time spent outside class, and i would ask to see it regularly. if they were having to cut to make weight, i also wanted to see their diet and weight updates in that notebook.

    some of them wouldn't do it, but that's another story.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  9. socratic is offline

    How do elenchus?

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,837

    Posted On:
    12/14/2009 10:10pm


     Style: gah, transition again

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I actually trained hanging around my awesome coach was a pretty big motivator to actually turn up. I think if you can build a good 'team' atmosphere where individual members hold respect for you and each other (and vice versa) then you can a) get a lot out of them and b) able to radically motivate people with the phonecalls and whatnot. But I mean if they're training to be a fighter than it's inevitable that the coach and the student has a much closer relationship than the casual students. It's the same with any pursuit- if you're serious and spend a lot of one-on-one time with your coach something's wrong with your dynamic if your coach phonecalling you creeps you out. They're putting in a lot of time and effort and psyche into making you the best you can be, after all.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32
  10. Asriel is offline
    Asriel's Avatar

    I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,795

    Posted On:
    12/15/2009 5:06am

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just like to add that I think having the Beginners class first is the way to go. I've seen people leave who have been waiting for their class to begin because they saw the advanced class before they knew what was actually going on and got intimidated.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

    " I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

    "Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

    "Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

    "That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.