153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Ash,

Just saw this now sorry I didn't reply earlier.

I only have a few tips.

1) curriculum - make sure you have a set curriculum set out for a long while. An outline is good but the failure of must gyms comes when they outline the class but then just plan as they go. People respond to curriculum that is why schools have it set out for teachers that way no one can make things up as they go.

2) For women - graduation is key. Start them off slow and ease into harder workouts. I believe any woman and most women can/want to be fighters, they just don't know it yet. The right coach will bring that out in them by the way they teach.

3) Empowering - Empower these women. Take a look at how Roxy Richardson runs her programs. Personally don't teach as bubbly as she does but she runs a great female program and she builds a great female bond in her school.

4) Consistency - Find a way to make the girls want to be consistent because as the class gets a wee harder, some women will tend to fall off. This happens in every gym. Be creative with how you will engage your females in class to make them want to stay for years, not months.

5) Music - Bring in great music, it makes a world of difference.

That's it. You are off to a great start.

Hope I helped a little.

J

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant personally "I" don't teach as bubbly as she does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 10:37pm

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the OT has a very good idea, remember to post pictures of trainings, nothing nicer than a woman who can kick your ass:karated:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:47am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3) Empowering - Empower these women. Take a look at how Roxy Richardson runs her programs. Personally don't teach as bubbly as she does but she runs a great female program and she builds a great female bond in her school.
    IMHO, very important, women are much more social animals than men are and twice as vindictive. Building good ties and strong bonds as well as social structure (sisterhood) is as important as teaching a right hook. I've seen my fair share of good groups that breakup eventually because the leader couldn't handle dissent and backbiting among members.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips, Kru J. I've been running my own muaythai class the past few months now and learning a lot about how to coordinate a group and have things run smoothly. I've already got some really dedicated students and people seem to be loving the training. Soon I'm going to start putting together a muaythai fight team and get these folks geared up for competition. At some point I'll start considering again how I want to start putting together the women's team.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This morning my mom told me that women like to go to athletic classes where they think the instructor cares about their health and well being. Whereas they don't like it when an instructor says something like, "Don't tell me if you can't make it, I don't care". Whereas for me being a guy I might feel more relaxed and chill about the thing if I heard something like that.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2009 1:49am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    This morning my mom told me that women like to go to athletic classes where they think the instructor cares about their health and well being. Whereas they don't like it when an instructor says something like, "Don't tell me if you can't make it, I don't care". Whereas for me being a guy I might feel more relaxed and chill about the thing if I heard something like that.
    You have highlighted a major difference between men and women.

A male instructor who cares too much on his younger male/female students is gaaay and screams pedo. But female instructor who cares too much on her male/female students gets no reaction, and some would say is good.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/22/2009 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    err, a good coach/instructor should always be concerned with their students' well being and health. I can't see wanting to train with someone that acted like they didn't care about me. Our old boxing coach would call us every day to make sure we were going to be at the gym and if not, why not. I've considered starting to do that with my more serious/dedicated students that have expressed interest in competition. Gotta lay on the guilt!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2009 12:46pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck with your team Ash. =) We´ve had some success with "gateway method", women doing cardio-savate, and getting interested of sparring, and finally joining regular boxe francaise. They can visit regular boxing training, where last 30 minutes is open, you can do bagwork, mitts, or spar, and little by little they turn.

Anyhoo, you mentioned about dynamic stretching, check Tom Kurz´s site www.stadion.com. He´s got good articles about dynamic stretching and sports training, and I can vouch they work.

Edit: There´s one downside. You´ll need to watch Dillman´s picture time to time. ;)

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/22/2009 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    err, a good coach/instructor should always be concerned with their students' well being and health. I can't see wanting to train with someone that acted like they didn't care about me. Our old boxing coach would call us every day to make sure we were going to be at the gym and if not, why not. I've considered starting to do that with my more serious/dedicated students that have expressed interest in competition. Gotta lay on the guilt!
    I think I just learned a little bit more about women today.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast