--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where's Sean Connery when you need him?

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:32pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The legal answer would depend if you reasonably believed yourself to be in imminant danger of serious bodily injury or death. Secondly the courts would be interested to find out if you provoked the confrontation yourself. Generally you can not start fights and then claim self defense though you might have an argument that he escalated the confrontation when he pulled the knife. Finally there is an issue that some states the person has a duty to retreat if retreat is possible before using deadly force outside your home.

If you are trapped somewhere where you can't run you have a stronger case for using lethal force then if you can simply walk away.

Given the circumstances as you provide them, and that you are less then seven feet from the guy I will say you are probably justified in using lethal force, though my opinion does not take into account places like the UK or Los Angeles where an injured criminal = official hostility to your self defense claim. They may claim if you had time to deploy a knife you had time to leave therefore you were dueling rather then defending yourself.

For a formal legal opinion, you may prepay me $200 at which point I will actually look up the case law in your area.
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 4/24/2009 1:37pm at .

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 2:07pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do, this is the only acceptable way.

(3:00)

YouTube - Beat It : Michael Jackson

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i say, if someone gets the drop on you with a weapon, then give them what they want.

if you plan on using deadly force, you better be ready to explain yourself to a district attorney and tell him exactly why you could not walk/run/pole vault away.

other than that, sam browning said it best.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 2:41pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In honor of this thread, I am officially re-naming my .357 magnum carry pistol "knife."

Therefore, the answer is: Yes. Yes i would pull my "knife." And then I would "stab" him several times from a safe distance.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 4:19pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    In honor of this thread, I am officially re-naming my .357 magnum carry pistol "knife."

Therefore, the answer is: Yes. Yes i would pull my "knife." And then I would "stab" him several times from a safe distance.
    I know a guy who can Laser-engrave "knife" onto the barrel. Do you want his number.

PT

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Is it? Lets say you have a knife in your pocket, and they don't have theirs pressed against your(or anybody elses) neck, they're about 5-7 feet away. In what circumstances would you do or not do it? (if they want your wallet, etc.)
    Try drilling it & find out how successful this idea is.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime View Post
    Second if you live in a state with CCW rights and you are concernd get a CCW buy a pistol, train how to use it weekly, and carry a gun.

Always remember....

Gun trumps knife.

PT
    Not always. Especially if it's still concealed. 21' Rule, folks. You can't just stick a gun in your pocket & think it's all good. Drill some "Die Less Often" gun VS knife stuff. HARD.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 6:55pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pull it as you run away.

There really should not ever be such thing as a "knife fight". It's either you kill him, or he kills you, or if you both have knives, it will probably be both. Or you just run away. You should not try to "win" a knife fight. Winning is surviving.

I've done stick and knife stuff a long time. In knife on knife, or empty hand vs. knife, the odds of serious injury are just too high to warrant engagement. Nike-fu and a lot of yelling for help will give even an expert a lot higher chance of survival.

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 8:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    backflip (I can jump 21' high) and pull out the PPK in it's ankle-holster while airborne. The only hard part is shooting accurately while upside down.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast