Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 1:03am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kids are all stupid.

There was a new kid at our BJJ school last night. Prior to last night he hadn’t done any form of grappling before and he’s only 13, in a class where everyone else is 16 to 50 years-old, so we weren’t expecting much. This kid is seriously tiny, so I was guessing that the coach would tell him to come back in a few years when he gets a bit bigger. Needless to say, no one wanted to roll with a tiny 13 year-old when there were adults of their own size and skill level around, so he was left on the sidelines at first. Feeling sorry for him, I offered to show him some of the basics of BJJ, and we started rolling lightly with the intention that I would explain stuff as we came across it. It didn’t take me long to realise that any ideas of ‘going easy’ on this kid had to go straight out the window. This guy was tiny and inexperienced, but he fought like an animal, was flexible as hell, and went balls-to-the-wall the entire time. It was pretty obvious from the first round of rolling that this kid had the potential to be a champion and would be posing a serious challenge to much bigger adults there in about a year.

I spoke to him afterwards about what other MAs he’d done, and he mentioned that he trained in Muay Thai. He said he was planning to enter a junior MMA comp in a few months and wanted to get some solid grappling experience before entering. I was thinking to myself, “what a badass kid! He’s done Muay Thai, he’s doing BJJ, and he’s entering comps at thirteen.” I remember thinking how awesome it is that kids are finally escaping the shitty MA scene of Karate, TKD, Kung Fu, etc and doing serious stuff now that MMA is in the limelight. An long-overdue 'enlightment' in the realm of martial arts for kids and younger teens. Then he said something which made all my good impression of this kid fall apart –

“You hear about how they banned Wing Chun from the UFC because it just dominates too much?”

“Uhh, no…”

“Yeah, it’s just too deadly… like, they snap joints, punch other dudes in the throat, hit pressure points and stuff… it’s fucking wicked.”

“Who told you that?”

“My brother. He does Wing Chun and he’s pretty much unbeatable. He once beat up five guys in the city when they tried to take his wallet.”

“Who does he learn from?”

“William Cheung. He’s some old Chinese guy, you ever seen his videos on youtube? He’s, like, 100 years old and he kicks serious ass.”

“I trained under one of Cheung’s top students for about five years. I can promise you, Wing Chun’s not like that… and it’s not banned from the UFC. They don’t ban styles.”

“Nah man, I’m serious, it’s been banned because it’s just too dangerous. In MMA they’ve gotta keep it fairly safe or else someone’s gonna die, so they banned Wing Chun and Shaolin.”

“Shaolin, too?”

“Yeah man, that shit’s even better than Wing Chun. Those dudes, like, balance on spears and stuff, they’re fucking deadly.”

Moral of this story – no matter how promising younger martial artists may seem, they’re all stupid children.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was pretty stupid at 13. If he keeps training with you, slowly show him the light. He may never get it, but you can try (if you want).

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 1:28am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't facepalm while reading this. The aneurysm hit too quickly.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 1:33am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they don't grow out of it, they are just better at hiding it. I had to walk away from a conversation at work where one guy was talking about how badass hapkido is and another is talking about how kung fu is the best and most adaptable art in the world. Its really funny because the guy talking about hapkido just took up boxing and I am the only person there with any real fighting experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 1:35am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Shakes head in a mingling of frustration and disbelief.)
    So here's this kid who
    A: Has experience in Muay Thai
    B: Is learning BJJ
    C: Is interested in entering MMA competitively
    D: Has a brother who studies _ucking _ing __un
    E: Still thinks his brother has a chance.
    My hopes for the future just got flushed.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 1:45am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is stupid and you should feel bad for making it. It's hilarious how the grappling forum is quiet as a crypt but you all spend most of your time acquiring a sense of false superiority from those poor fellow who "just don't get it".

What I mean to say is shut the **** up and contribute something of value for once, main ideology of bullshido. Goddamit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 3:04am

Style: MMA,JJ,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're all stupid at 13 years old. I remember at 13 I used to think I'd become a tr00 kn1ght with shining arm0rz even though I weighted a wet 105 lbs with no athletism at all, then at 15 years old I started believing I'd become teh Uber Samurai from Japan with Huge background in Ninjertsu and Khen-dow in less than two years from my puny 110 lbs self. What I mean to say with this post is that when we are young, we all have some unrealistic dreams we are trying to fullfill, sometimes they vanish much later than the average, but usually an event in our life make our vision on our dream change. when I started Kyokushin back when I was 17, I realised how BS other non-fighting self defense arts were and I just realised what I really wanted: To fight. However, befor eI realised that, I was as deep in the kool aid as any other Kid who watched Jackie Chan's moveis all the time and went apeshit crazy in the backyard to test what we learned from watching the movie.

Your little guy will grow up and eventually realise how stupid all of what his brother told him was and it's better that he realise it at such a young age, so don't drop such a quick judgment on him and keep teaching him what you know.

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 3:11am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask View Post
    Moral of this story – no matter how promising younger martial artists may seem, they’re all stupid children.
    Hope you're content knowing you're better than this 13 year old kid now, because you won't be for much longer.

He'll learn. You can't go back to impractical martial arts after learning practical ones, and he might already have a strength of character that seems to be lacking in most martial artists.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 3:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frank's right... you should cross-face the little bastard so he can't eat.
    He'll starve to death...

Seriously, though... I believe the children are the future... teach them well and let them something something. I think Shakespeare wrote that ;-)
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 4:03am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man no one took my bait.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast