Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Marasmos

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sheer ineptitude of the cops in the vid is mind-boggling. In this case it didn't matter at all - the naked dude was not a threat - but it's pretty crazy that they didn't seem aware of basic restraining and control techniques that would have let them take care of the unruly naked wizard without resorting to a taser.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 1:29pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3 View Post
    The sheer ineptitude of the cops in the vid is mind-boggling. In this case it didn't matter at all - the naked dude was not a threat - but it's pretty crazy that they didn't seem aware of basic restraining and control techniques that would have let them take care of the unruly naked wizard without resorting to a taser.
    do YOU want to grapple with a naked man? I know I don't, and I bet that was exactly what was going through those cops heads when they decided to to taze the guy. I would bet money that if someone spoke to the cops off record, they would say he was only tazed because he was naked.

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 2:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The easy way was for naked guy to put some clothes on. It is also obvious that there were some LEO's that could use some training. The taser didn't bother me as much as the knee drop and that hair pulling/head control. I think the frustration of not knowing what to do made the cops react more aggressively. I also think that naked guy could have prevented all of this and had a much better day.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a mater of what the officers "want" to do, It's a mater of what their duty is to do. People wearing clothes can conceal knives, needles, crack pipes, bazookas, and lapel chokes, and are a lot more of a threat than a naked psychedelic drug abuser. If this man had a heart condition, this could have been his execution. He was not swinging at the cops or wielding a threatening weapon. This man was guilty of resisting without violence and disturbing the peace, in my mind this is not a crime that should be punished electrocution to the base of the brain or the heart.

In my opinion the reason the hair-pulling officer resorted to this use of the Taser was because the guy rolled his probes out. I think the office who deployed Taser in this way this deserves to face charges for his abuse of force. The other 2 officers are incompetent, and should be sent back to the academy for restraint 101, they can't hammerlock for ****. But at one point you can actually see one of the incompetent officers try to motion the offending officer to restrain his force by holding their hands up.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 2:06pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    do YOU want to grapple with a naked man?
    Reasons for deploying potentially deadly force:

• The perpetrator was violently resisting arrest
    • The perpetrator posed an immediate threat to the arresting officers or to bystanders
    • The perpetrator was armed, or (to a reasonable degree of certainty) appeared to be armed
    • The perpetrator was harmless but too icky to physically restrain

To me, three of these reasons appear to be sufficient grounds to deploy a Taser. Guess which one doesn’t.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the wizard failed his Save vs. Paralysis saving throw.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 9:11pm

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Reasons for deploying potentially deadly force:

• The perpetrator was violently resisting arrest
    • The perpetrator posed an immediate threat to the arresting officers or to bystanders
    • The perpetrator was armed, or (to a reasonable degree of certainty) appeared to be armed
    • The perpetrator was harmless but too icky to physically restrain
    To me, three of these reasons appear to be sufficient grounds to deploy a Taser. Guess which one doesn’t.
    Well he definitly wasn't armed with anything to a reasonable degree

I'll stay out of the legal arguement for this one, I don't know american laws, I just find it funny a naked wizard got tazered.

Infidel

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 10:23pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was resiting arrest.
    Serious question for the people who think the individual was tased too soon.

How much fucking around should the cops be expected to put up with?
    He gets up off the ground and it looks like he's about to run.
    Should they wait until he grabs an officers sidearm before they tase him?
    Should they wait until he flips out (clearly he's not in a normal state of mine) and bites them sending the cops to the hospital for HIV needles?
    The crowd is getting more and more excited by the minute. How long should the cops have waited before putting n end to the situation? Until someone in the crowd decided to bravely throw a brick at the cops and run away? Before a few drunks wanna bravely come to the wizards rescue?

When the cops say you're under arrest and you say no or anything to the effect it's whole new ball game
    Last edited by vigilus; 4/23/2009 10:27pm at .
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 10:48pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    He was resiting arrest.
    Serious question for the people who think the individual was tased too soon.

How much fucking around should the cops be expected to put up with?
    To me those are two different questions. He was breaking a law, so the cops had a duty to do something about him. He wasn’t complying, so they had a right to apply some degree of force; knee-dropping seemed unnecessary, but hammerlock and handcuff and drag away, by all means; they don’t have to just "put up" with it. But he wasn’t offering violence to anyone—no one was offering violence to anyone except for the cops. Given that a Taser is potentially deadly, I think it’s overkill to bring a non-violent situation under control. I mean, even if he did run away, what kind of threat did he really pose? Being naked is not assault.

In other words, once there was an imminent threat of violence, bringing out the Taser may be justified (if it can’t be safely and reliably controlled by other means), but before that, it just looks like countering non-violence with violence. I can’t countenance that.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:09am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave View Post
    Greetings.

Resisting arrest for minutes on end after being given ample opportunity to comply and after other, softer control techniques failed to gain compliance (and even after harder techniques failed).

Just because you aren't violent doesn't mean police can't use certain means to control you. If you sit there flailing or act like a limp noodle or act like you have full body rigor mortis etc, expect for their response to get increasingly more painful for you as time goes on.

Yeah

if you're just marching or having a sit-in or something they totally need to get out the firehoses and

wait

you're wrong.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast