l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 10:04am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I received this e-mail response this morning:

Chris,

Thanks so much for the interests once again. I also use to train with Bushido Kai from Penfield NY. One of the black belts, not sure if he's there anymore, Kevin Haughn, and I grewq up together in Webster. Anyway, I have training in Karate and Kung Fu, Arnmy combatives, Seidokan martial arts and now US combat Martial Arts. This is what myself and the other two instructors are certified under. We are sertified by pastor Joe Burress, who is a 10th don and oversees the martial arts ministry. His son, Paul Burress, is another instructor on Thursdays, 4-6pm, and he deals strrictly with grappling and jiu-jitsu. Trinity on the other hand, deals with the three forms of martial arts, ground, muay tai (stand up) and traditional
    martial arts w/boxing background. Hope this is enough, hope to see you there. I am a 2nd degree and the other two are 1st degrees in US Combat Martial Arts.

Marv
    It looks like they are ranked in their own system, a home grown system, I'm going to see if I can get in contact with Mr. Burress, the founder of the system.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 10:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I responded with this e-mail:

Mr. Patterson,

Thank you very much for the information. Would you be willing to elaborate on exactly what US Combat Martial Arts is? What styles is it comprised of? How long did you train before being awarded your Black Belt? What was the curriculum like? Would it be possible for me to speak directly to Mr. Burress? I am looking forward to coming by and training next Tuesday. What equipment should I bring? Should I bring a Gi?

Christopher Myer
    I'm thinking that this may be a case of instructors with some skill, being graded by a 10th Dan "Grandmaster" with some skill, though what skill level. I don't know. What bothers me more is that I'm completely unqualified to critique their striking having nothing more then Wing Chun to go on.

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 11:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    That one of the striking coaches was an "ex-SEAL, taught the RPD, (Rochester Police Department) the military, that kind of stuff, ya know?"
    If you can find out which coach it was and if that coach claims he is an ex-SEAL, I can try to find out more about that.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    If you can find out which coach it was and if that coach claims he is an ex-SEAL, I can try to find out more about that.
    I'm not going to take it as anything close to gospel until I hear it out of an instructors mouth. Last thing I want to do is open up a can of worms because a student in a weight room said something.

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 11:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I'm not going to take it as anything close to gospel until I hear it out of an instructors mouth. Last thing I want to do is open up a can of worms because a student in a weight room said something.
    This is of course understood. That's why I stipulated that the coach himself had to claim it. Students are apt to exaggerate all sorts of things on their own initiative.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 11:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    This is of course understood. That's why I stipulated that the coach himself had to claim it. Students are apt to exaggerate all sorts of things on their own initiative.
    Yeah, I'm really hoping this is nothing more complicated then a few guys who got suckered into a system. If that is the case I go in, spread the good word about some of the other schools in the area, roll with as many people as I can, then go home.

I can't, and won't, strike with anyone due to my complete lack of training.

Once I'm done I'll direct them to this thread, let them defend their system, and go on about my business.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 10:19am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have looked at thier site. Even if it is a legitimate style, how do you justify a black-belt in that short of time frame? Also, a search on google turned up that Mr. Burress is/was a 2nd Deg. in TKD. Don't know how you become 10th Dan if there is no one to promote you because you created your own style...

http://www.hkleetkd.com/ourFamily.htm

Here is a description of the "style" he developed:

http://www.hawthornemartialarts.net/

Call the church and contact him...I want to know the outcome of this. I have met a couple guys from there and have always been suspicious...especially with the claims made.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahhh...the old "create my own style and rank myself trick"

Posted On:
    4/26/2009 7:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello friends, I'm new to this website, joined actually out of a search for the elusive Joe lol. Anyways My Sensei Mr. Hawthrone http://www.hawthornemartialarts.net/ was taught by him, I have also met him at a seminar with some college kids. to cut it short, he is no bs. Him being a navy seal with seem trivial after u have heard about some of things hes done and places hes been. The only way I can put it, is that when your with him you feel like your with God. Hes truly a genious in the classical sense of the word. In anycase if you can go to his classes BY ALL MEANS DO.

Posted On:
    4/26/2009 7:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does he claim to have been a SEAL, chriskungfu?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast