Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:00am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trinity Training: Rochester NY

Trinity Training is an MMA gym in Rochester NY. Housed in the Victory baptist Church The school offers Mixed Martial Arts instruction in both "striking" and "ground game"

I spoke to a student of this school yesterday and feel that everything might not be on the level. The usual claims of Navy Seal, police training, "we teach MMA" all raised a series of red flags.

I have sent the instructors the following e-mail:
    Mr. Goodfriend, Mr. Stevenson, Mr. Patterson,

I had the pleasure of speaking with one of your students yesterday at R.I.T. I was surprised to learn of your school as I thought I knew all of the MMA/Combat Sports schools in the Rochester Area. I'm currently working with several online databases to compile a list of all the MMA and Combat Sports clubs in Central and Western New York.

If you could take a moment and answer the following questions I would be thrilled!

- What styles do you teach at Trinity Training?
    - What ranks and certifications do your instructors hold?
    - Who awarded your instructors their ranks?
    - What is the average class size?
    - What is the cost for classes?
    - What does an average class conssit of in terms of drills, sparring, time spent etc.
    - Can you give a quick description of your training space, equipment, square footage etc.
    - Any other pertinent information you feel a prospective student would want to know.

I understand this is a fairly long list but having this information, in as much detail as possible, makes me job much, much, easier. it also allows me to present the best possible write up for you and your school.

Additionally, would it be possible for me to stop in and participate in a class? I like to add a first hand account to all of my reviews.

I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Christopher Myer
    Further digging also turned up this website: Trinity Training.us Which seems to paint a much more legitimate picture of the school. However, in the two instructor Bio's that are filled out they reference "Paul Burress Jiu-Jitsu" as well as a very heavy Christian/Born Again slant.

Google gave me nothing for Paul Burress Jiu-Jitsu outside of the two instructor pages. Paul Burress himself is a chaplain in the Monroe County Jail, no mention of any BJJ or Jiu-Jitsu rank.

OTM comes up blank as well.
    Last edited by ignatzami; 4/22/2009 10:04am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They both have a black belt in what? That is what I didn't understand. But they do seem to compete and do ok. The prices seem reasonable.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 4/22/2009 10:42am at .
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    They both have a black belt in what? That is what I didn't understand. But they do seem to compete and do ok. The prices seem reasonable.
    I agree on the prices, Though the lack of a real bio for any of the three bothers me. No ranks, no previous instructors, just bothers me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried googling Combat Mixed Martial Arts, but couldn't seem to find any relation to this school. Do you know about these tournaments they did?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    I tried googling Combat Mixed Martial Arts, but couldn't seem to find any relation to this school. Do you know about these tournaments they did?
    Fists of Fury 2 - Palmyra, NY 2008: Nothing on Google other than references on Trinity Training.

18th Annual American International Mixed Martial Arts Championships - Rochester, NY 2008: Looks to be a local Rochester tournament, I found mention of it on another local Karate/MMA place.

Hayastan Grappling Challenge - Fredonia, NY 2008: Looks legit. Link: http://www.hayastangrapplingchalleng...d=70&Itemid=92

Arnold Classics - Columbus, OH 2007: Looks to be a all round sports festival, gymnastics, fencing, taji push hands, weight lifting etc. Is probably legit, not sure how still the competition is though.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 2007 Arnold Grappling Classic is listed on NAGA, but there are no results posted so no way to verify the gold medal, or what size the division was.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Response to my e-mail:

Chris,

It's good to hear of your interest in our school. I would highly encourage you to stop by first and possibly work out with us, before we give you all our info. Are you a student anywhere else and have experience in MMA? If you visit first, you'll know what we have told you is true, after you have participated, and we want to make sure were not just giving out our information when we don't know who you really are. No offense, but we want to know who's writing about us, positive or negative. Wouldn't you agree? We meet on Tuesdays 7-9:30 pm (grappling), Friday same time and Saturday 0930 to 11:00 am. Hope to see you there. Thanks and God Bless

Marv Patterson
    To which I responded:

Mr Patterson,

I would very much like to come and take a class with you. I have been training in Judo for the past year and a half with the Bushido Kai Judo Club out of Penfield, prior to that I trained in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu with Ken Kronenburg at Tai Kai Jiu-Jitsu in Syracuse N.Y. prior to that I was with Syracuse Martial Arts with Sifu Anthony Iglesias. I've done a smattering of Kali with several instructors and hardly enough Karate to count years ago when I was 13.

While I can understand your desire to know who, and what, is being written about you I would feel much more comfortable coming and training if I knew at the very least the certifications of the instructor I'm training under. I hope you understand. I will do my level best to attend next Tuesday's grappling class, May 5th, if this is acceptable to you.

I look forward to hearing from you,
    Christopher Myer

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    The usual claims of Navy Seal
    Expand upon this, please. I saw nothing about this on their website. What did the student claim, specifically?

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 9:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    Expand upon this, please. I saw nothing about this on their website. What did the student claim, specifically?
    That one of the striking coaches was an "ex-SEAL, taught the RPD, (Rochester Police Department) the military, that kind of stuff, ya know?"

Posted On:
    4/23/2009 9:54am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems that there are a lot of Martial Arts schools in that part of the country. I wonder what's behind that.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast