Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Orleans Dojos

I was wondering if anyone knew any BJJ/NHB, muay thai or good boxing gyms in the new orleans area, specifically uptown. I've found one, but it is a little far away as i dont have a car. Any suggestions would be appreciated tho thanks

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try dogpile or google, in 20 seconds I came up with this list (atleast the jj or judo might be your cup of tea)

Aikido of New Orleans - New Orleans - is non-profit organization whose purpose is the dissemination and practice of Aikido. Classes are available to men and women of all ages, creeds and national origins, as well as children, six years old and up.

All South Karate Federation - Metairie - is the oldest traditional Karate organization in the southern United States.

American Amateur Karate Federation - Includes history, news, events, and regional contact information.

American Institute of Martial Arts International - Information and links pertaining to affiliated clubs. Includes membership details, photo gallery, calendar, message board, shop, links and general information.

American Teachers Association of the Martial Arts - A democratic organization of students and instructors of all ranks, from all styles, seeking to improve the level of competency within the martial arts through a mutual exchange of knowledge. Includes history, ranking policy, teaching levels, curriculum, news, events, membership, and area chapters.

Art Monroe TaeKwonDo - Gretna - For over 25 years, 7th degree black belt and taekwondo master, Art Monroe, has been teaching the ancient art of taekwondo in the New Orleans area.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Metairie - offer group and private classes. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu employs ground fighting techniques to submit and control more powerful opponents. It is an excellent martial art for self defense.

Elmwood Fitness Martial Arts - New Orleans Metro - offers lessons in traditional martial arts taught by mature, experienced instructors. Whether you're at the Harahan location for TaeKwonDo or the Downtown location for Akido, we offer a focused, disciplined way of training your mind, body and spirit.

Gold Dragon Shin Jitsu - Slidell - one of many New Orleans area martial arts studios that is based on ideals of efficiency.

Hertao - New Orleans - Learn self defense and martial arts techniques. Learn realistic defense against empty hand, gun, stick, and knife attacks.

Holy Cross - New Orleans - is one of the only schools in the state that offers Martial Arts as a Sport.

Kenner Karate Center - Kenner - offers classes in Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Hapkido, and Taekwondo.

Korean Martial Arts Academy - classes are run through the Jefferson Parish Recreation Department where classes are offered at more than an affordable cost and for ages 4 through adult.

Lion's Den Karate Academy - Slidell - including Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, kickboxing, and Isshinryu Karate.

Louisiana Karate Association - Metairie - Headquarters of All South Karate Federation is the oldest karate club in the south. It was established in 1961 and has as its chief instructor, T. Mikami, 8th degree black belt.

New Orleans Judo Academy - New Orleans - Judo is a top level activity that is creative, nurturing, and self-esteem building for children, teens and young adults. All Judo classes are free to middle school age students.

Radio Martial Arts - is a Real Audio stream of "Radio Martial Arts" featuring insightful interviews with top martial artists, movie stars, athletes, and those that have contributed to the martial arts. As well as training in many of the arts.

Red Phoenix Martial Arts Tai Chi - Metairie - tai chi, chi gueng in New Orleans.

Shaolin-Do Kung Fu & Tai Chi - New Orleans - find class schedules.

Tai Chi Instructor - New Orleans - Baba Hakeem has studied various Martial Arts since 1967 with Masters of East and West.

Tulane Martial Arts - New Orleans - was the first organization in Louisiana to host Grandmaster Remy A. Presas. The effective techniques of Arnis form the core of the clubs curriculum. This non-profit organization's goal is to spread Modern Arnis through the Gulf South.

USA Karate Federation - A non-profit organization dedicated to promoting karate within the USA. Includes information on the structure, tournaments, links and affiliations to other organizations including the World Karate Federation.

USA National Karate Do Federation - A representative body governing national competitions and operating as a member of the US Olympic committee. Includes information on national tournaments, world karate and Olympic updates.

White Tiger Martial Arts - Donaldsonville - Prairieville - find the locations of two New Orleans area martial arts studios.

World Karate Federation - The representative of world Karate aimed at having kata and kumite competition, governed by a set of rules and guidelines acceptable to the International Olympic Committee, accepted as official events in the Olympic Games.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 1:01pm

Style: Sport BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try www.nolabjj.com
    We are in Metairie. We do mostly sport BJJ but the instructor also fight NHB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the suggestions... my problem is i have no car so my options are limited to getting rides or public transportation from uptown NO. Also if anyone knows any good boxing gyms in uptown (liek near the garden district st charles, magazine) I've found some places but havent been able to check them out yet... any information woudl be appreciated

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, why don't you go check those schools out and then get back to us.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    checked out nolabjj - was not bad. only a purple belt teachin, but he's an active fighter and he knows what he's doin. they were a little arrogant bout their technique, but its a decent place. i recommmend. only warning - rolling is very organized, since there is not that much space, i'm used to just goin around and rolling, this was all organized by the teacher. And at the end they had this sort of battle royale - two teams each just tap out as many from the other as they can. was funny - but it was BJJ against multiple atttackers - sorta i guees on the "street" guys wouldnt just use sport BJJ

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anconas Gym & Martial Arts in Metairie Louisiana. The classes offered are Self Defense, JuJitsu, Boxing, Kickboxing, & MMA. Our membership includes full use of the gym as well as unlimited classes. IF that interests you, feel free to contact us. We offer one free class of your choice, giving you a chance to check us out and see if we are what you are looking for.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 5:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that Rich Clementi (UFC Lightweight Up and Comer) has an MMA school in Sliddell, ran into some guys from there at a grappling tournament a few months ago.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 6:21pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rolled with a visiting blue belt from NOLA BJJ and he was a very cool guy. I got zero attitude from him. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:41pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    I rolled with a visiting blue belt from NOLA BJJ and he was a very cool guy. I got zero attitude from him. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.
    Same here. I trained with Mathias Meister for a week about 2 years back. Good place, no attitudes or egos, that's my experience.

Tomas