Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    Could've been a worn out or low quality bag.

But my question for OP is, if you don't even train San Shou, why is it in your name?
    wondering that myself
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    txsanshou -

what exactly do you mean when you say "snapped in half"?

it bent over at the impact point and the cover tore and the insides came out.
    it didn't bend at impact, but the cover tore where you kicked it.
    it folded slightly upon impact and returned to normal after.

also how tall are you and how much do you weigh? i coach sanda and even our 250lb + strong as an ox guys don't damage the bags in my school (we don't use shitty bags though.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please don't ask him to post his kick video again(!) We've been through this before. TxS, you have (had) a shitty wave master type thing. They break.

In his defense: He was asked to change his style field from SS to TKD and he did. IIRC Noobs can't change their usernames. His post seemed to be making the point that he couldn't break his WaveThingie with the TKD round kick, but he could with an untutored SS round kick (in the same family as KK and MT).

I don't know the specifics of Cung's TKD training, but he did study it, and it shows. He also studied VVD which is similar. All of Cung's SS specific moves come from training with the national team and training with Rudi Ott from the Boston San Shou team. The bulk of his game is Greco + TKD + VVD.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 9:43am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a Sanshou/Sanda school in your area? I would take it if there was one in mine. The best I could do was to learn a bunch second-hand from people at a campus martial arts group. This Olympic TKD guy from the Ukraine started training with us and was throwing all these impressive kicks, and all the relative newbies to Sanshou were like "Oh ****, this guy's going to mop the floor with us." I already had my opinions about TKD, so I kept quiet, and the guy seemed pretty athletic, so I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

The first time he joined us for sparring, he went up against a pretty built guy who had been doing Sanshou for just a couple of months, and whose background before then consisted of "Boxing with friends to end arguments." To most of the people here what happened probably isn't a surprise -- the TKD got a nice kick in now and then, but never to the head. The Sanshou newbie just followed him around aggressively, the TKD guy had trouble keeping his hands up, and when the Sanshou newb charged in with a series of simple jabs and crosses, the TKD guy would panic and sort of turn/curl up into this standing fetal position thing cradling his head, and we'd have to temporarily stop the fight and tell him to stop doing that, which would work for about a minute or so then he'd be back to his standing fetal. Eventually the Sanshou newb just picked him up and gave him this really sloppy graeco-roman looking toss every time he did that.

While my kicking technique was nowhere near as solid as the TKD guy's, I was able to keep a lot better composure during the sparring matches just from the sense of distance and timing and having an eye for weight shifts / the very start of a motion just from a saber fencing background. Fencing itself isn't really anywhere near a simulation of a real sword fight, but at least the "right of way" part of the game and the fact that if anyone gets near you when you're not on your guard means you're toast gave me some sense of what to do when squaring off with someone.

This is sort of a side point, though. If there's Sanda/Sanshou take it - and you're lucky. If there isn't, cross-train Muay Thai or Savate or Kyokushin or something. What's the point of doing TKD? As pointed out numerous other times at this forum, sure -- you'll learn some decent kicking technique, but you'll learn that anywhere else people will teach you a kickboxing technique with real aliveness.

Dammit I wish there was good Sanda here or where I'm moving... I just want to kick and throw people...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 9:49am

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    txsanshou -

what exactly do you mean when you say "snapped in half"?

it bent over at the impact point and the cover tore and the insides came out.
    it didn't bend at impact, but the cover tore where you kicked it.
    it folded slightly upon impact and returned to normal after.

also how tall are you and how much do you weigh? i coach sanda and even our 250lb + strong as an ox guys don't damage the bags in my school (we don't use shitty bags though.)
    when I kicked it the bag bent in and I heard a loud pop when I took the cover off the plastic core that you put the cover over was broken in half and fell off its really not an amazing feat or anything I'm sure most people with a decent kick could do it I was just saying thats something I never dreamed of doing with a tkd kick

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TxS, when do you start at your friend's gym?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    TxS, when do you start at your friend's gym?
    I have to either wait until my contract is up or pay 50% of the remainder of the balance so as soon as I get the cash I am about to start doing personal training so hopefully it will be soon

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:40am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're an idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    You're an idiot.
    God bless you too.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:48am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were you dropped on your head as an infant?

& then had a tribe of rabid wildebeest perform a rendition of River Dance on your skull whilst you were down?

Stop your fucking complaining, get out of your contract, & go take Sanshou.

The entire purpose of your post is ego gratification.

Oh, & the whole breaking the bag thing?

Wins you no points. You broke a plastic core. Ladi-fucking-da.

Until you're actually shredding hanging heavy bags, you haven't accomplished anything extraordinary.

And if you wanted to know about shredding heavy bags, ask some power kickers who've done it multiple times.

LIKE TKD PIONEER HEE IL CHO.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast