Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 9:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: RBWI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't care, Blasphemy.....Okay, Neither do I.

I dont know what all this arguing back and forth is about, I was a student within the system previously known as RBWI and PPC concepts and i can tell you this much after studying different martial arts including ju-jutsu, judo, karate, capoeira, kung fu over years and years (me being a black belt in Miyama-ryu Jujutsu), i have not experienced a more unique, and effective system as that taught by robert bussey.

The principles taught in it is quite advanced, and because ive learned so much from it i dont care where it came from, im glad it exists and Thank God for Robert Bussey.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 10:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And thank god for retarded noobs like you, because were else can I flame people for necroing 4 year old threads.

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: RBWI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont give a **** if the thread is 10 years old i found it trying to search for Bussey related information to find such blasphemy slander on a good mans name. I would like to give my account and thumbs up on this system so that people know not to believe everything they read.

There is no need to insult anyone like youre trying to do (maybe youre lacking something?), people like you make the internet an annoying place rather than informative.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 10:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You thought your post was informative? You didn't add anything of substance. You're simply another annonymous dumbass that things something is awesome. Why don't you go to newbietown and introduce yourself so we can decide if your opinion is worth anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 10:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    Why don't you go to newbietown and introduce yourself so we can decide if your opinion is worth anything.

kaspereternal, listen to the advise, build up some cred so we know you're not some sock puppet.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 4:16am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As this has been necroed, that gives me a chance to link to the section of my blog post I wrote on Scott Morris and Bussey in UFC 2, here.

I've always wondered what Morris thought of the incident.
    Somebody claiming to be his sister posted that "that was the one and only fight Scott ever lost [] he asked Pat Smith to fight again, and he refused!"

Unfortunately she doesn't say what he thought of Bussey's cornering, which would be interesting to hear.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 6:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaspereternal View Post
    I dont give a **** if the thread is 10 years old i found it trying to search for Bussey related information to find such blasphemy slander on a good mans name.
    Blasphemy. Really? Really? You really did use the term "blasphemy" to describe someone's opinion of this Bussey person's "style"? Wow. I mean....wow. I am embarrassed for you.

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 6:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bussey is an interesting figure in the history of contemporary martial arts. I do think it is easy to dismiss him but easy is not always best. Keep in mind that the "Ninjers" so often dubbed here would love for the Bullshido faithful to do just that.

So to play devil's advocate here, something which has the potential to make Is It Fake wretch his breasfast cereal..... Auslander to look for permanance in life in all things and Sam to go on sabbatical after smaking himself in the forehead.... haha... lets assume that Bussey is a guy who tested Hatsumi's art albeit briefly and found it lacking in some fundamental respects. Here is a guy who did go over to Japan and tell Hatsumi his art needed to be adopted to the viscious streets of the USA that it was too slow and needed an update.

Essentially we have a guy who said "how wil this art do live?" A guy who put the art into the ring (no matter how ill conceived) A guy who the Buj truly has had a hard on for years... you can always get a great buzz at a Tai Kai (when they existed) mentioning Bussey and others of his ilk, a typical dialogue might be "what about Bussey?" "Oh he only studied when Hatsumi was working the stuff slowly and would have been the equivalent of a green belt."

YEs as said above Bussey's efforts were conceived hastilly dangerously (Morrison) and crudely (Jenum) but they were I assure you on a par with Hayes at the time... We are talking about dojo wars in the states over the placement of a foot in Ichi Munji! and people practicing the Togakire stuff as though it were foundational for all body movement skills (Hayes). Meaning in essence that aside from perhaps Charles Daniel, who always did seem to have his **** together, Bussey was no more or less ill conceived in his attempts at Tai Jutsu than Hayes the other guy who brought it back in that group with the differnece being that one guy bought the deluxe pac and the other guy did not!

I think Bussey has always been somoene with martial talents. He is one of more than a few guys who have modified the art as an experienced martial artist... Ralph Severe (who I will mention in this context shortly) is another one who did this at a later date witha hell of a lot more Buj experience. Let me say that Bussey's critiscisms and his insisitance to test the stuff live I agree with... But like Ralph Severe, a guy who presents as a churlish oaf to many and who is actually a brilliant martial arts savante in many regards, while I agree with the critiscism, what they fall back upon I disagree with.

But like Ralph the Buj would love nothing more than for people to think Bussey's attempts at Ninja Live are laughable. The truth is that many of us have always tweaked things a bit when material came from Japan... I always looked at it like this: I live in a society that today is simply more violent than Japan. The techniques have to be able to work in a social context that to most contemporary Japanese Shihan would be absurdly violent and indifferent to human suffering on the street. You always had people like mark Obrien to hash those things out back in the day. People who understood that in South Philly things work differently than the mean streets of Tokyo after a few too many Saki!

Bussey was a fighter who did what a lot of fighters do and did: He modified the stuff he got from Hatsumi.... that was his path. Again, I have seen fighters of various degrees modify this art and do not always agree with what they come up with. Other guys do a great job with the modifications... Watching Mark Obrein deconstruct a Gyoko Ryu waza or kata works for me in this regard... I always felt with Mark that his approach would allow me to use the technique in the midst of Glascow head booters or in an ancient Chinese temple.... thats a preference though.

Bussey's approach does reek of his fundamentalism, his ego and a change of goals and priorities. But peopel should remember that he did make an effort to use the stuff and had the balls to call Hatsumi on what he considered material that was lacking. Keep in mind that there are stories of Hatsumi's attempts to show Robert the error of his ways. A bone massage by the likes of Nagato would not be my idea of a fun social filled evening! haha So Bussey did pay for his point of view... and that is fundamental to why I have some respect for his efforts. I mean for example, how many times did Marc Denny (crafty Dog) have to feel the stick when working things out? thats the toughness and stick to itness that the critique, or the innovator has to have. Been there done that and it is not an easy path that some might imagine. Guys like Ralph Severe did not one day decide to do it this way... No! the decision comes in the midst of trial error and a lot of pain.

So in conclusion the critiscism is valid with some notable caveats. Robert's attempts to test the stuff were primitive to say the least. But he did make an effort to test the stuff live. His trajectory, attitude and approach make him a much maligned figure... so be it.
    Last edited by Dsimon3387; 4/21/2009 6:20am at .

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus fucking Christ, what a wall of garbage.

YouTube - Mornin' Greetings in Deadwood

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 10:07pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Bussey is an interesting figure in the history of contemporary martial arts. I do think it is easy to dismiss him but easy is not always best. Keep in mind that the "Ninjers" so often dubbed here would love for the Bullshido faithful to do just that.

So to play devil's advocate here, something which has the potential to make Is It Fake wretch his breasfast cereal..... Auslander to look for permanance in life in all things and Sam to go on sabbatical after smaking himself in the forehead.... haha... lets assume that Bussey is a guy who tested Hatsumi's art albeit briefly and found it lacking in some fundamental respects. Here is a guy who did go over to Japan and tell Hatsumi his art needed to be adopted to the viscious streets of the USA that it was too slow and needed an update.

Essentially we have a guy who said "how wil this art do live?" A guy who put the art into the ring (no matter how ill conceived) A guy who the Buj truly has had a hard on for years... you can always get a great buzz at a Tai Kai (when they existed) mentioning Bussey and others of his ilk, a typical dialogue might be "what about Bussey?" "Oh he only studied when Hatsumi was working the stuff slowly and would have been the equivalent of a green belt."

YEs as said above Bussey's efforts were conceived hastilly dangerously (Morrison) and crudely (Jenum) but they were I assure you on a par with Hayes at the time... We are talking about dojo wars in the states over the placement of a foot in Ichi Munji! and people practicing the Togakire stuff as though it were foundational for all body movement skills (Hayes). Meaning in essence that aside from perhaps Charles Daniel, who always did seem to have his **** together, Bussey was no more or less ill conceived in his attempts at Tai Jutsu than Hayes the other guy who brought it back in that group with the differnece being that one guy bought the deluxe pac and the other guy did not!

I think Bussey has always been somoene with martial talents. He is one of more than a few guys who have modified the art as an experienced martial artist... Ralph Severe (who I will mention in this context shortly) is another one who did this at a later date witha hell of a lot more Buj experience. Let me say that Bussey's critiscisms and his insisitance to test the stuff live I agree with... But like Ralph Severe, a guy who presents as a churlish oaf to many and who is actually a brilliant martial arts savante in many regards, while I agree with the critiscism, what they fall back upon I disagree with.

But like Ralph the Buj would love nothing more than for people to think Bussey's attempts at Ninja Live are laughable. The truth is that many of us have always tweaked things a bit when material came from Japan... I always looked at it like this: I live in a society that today is simply more violent than Japan. The techniques have to be able to work in a social context that to most contemporary Japanese Shihan would be absurdly violent and indifferent to human suffering on the street. You always had people like mark Obrien to hash those things out back in the day. People who understood that in South Philly things work differently than the mean streets of Tokyo after a few too many Saki!

Bussey was a fighter who did what a lot of fighters do and did: He modified the stuff he got from Hatsumi.... that was his path. Again, I have seen fighters of various degrees modify this art and do not always agree with what they come up with. Other guys do a great job with the modifications... Watching Mark Obrein deconstruct a Gyoko Ryu waza or kata works for me in this regard... I always felt with Mark that his approach would allow me to use the technique in the midst of Glascow head booters or in an ancient Chinese temple.... thats a preference though.

Bussey's approach does reek of his fundamentalism, his ego and a change of goals and priorities. But peopel should remember that he did make an effort to use the stuff and had the balls to call Hatsumi on what he considered material that was lacking. Keep in mind that there are stories of Hatsumi's attempts to show Robert the error of his ways. A bone massage by the likes of Nagato would not be my idea of a fun social filled evening! haha So Bussey did pay for his point of view... and that is fundamental to why I have some respect for his efforts. I mean for example, how many times did Marc Denny (crafty Dog) have to feel the stick when working things out? thats the toughness and stick to itness that the critique, or the innovator has to have. Been there done that and it is not an easy path that some might imagine. Guys like Ralph Severe did not one day decide to do it this way... No! the decision comes in the midst of trial error and a lot of pain.

So in conclusion the critiscism is valid with some notable caveats. Robert's attempts to test the stuff were primitive to say the least. But he did make an effort to test the stuff live. His trajectory, attitude and approach make him a much maligned figure... so be it.
    drrrr.... was that really worth writing? Why even dignify the RBWI fanboy with a response?
    Did Robert Bussey really try to open a gym when he was 16? or is that BS?
    Last edited by NoTeefa; 4/21/2009 10:09pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast