Posted On:
    4/20/2009 1:54pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

reviews of the FN 5 7

I have an urge to own something controversial

Has anyone here handled/shot one of these? Our range doesn't have a rental.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 1:58pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony's got one.

YouTube - KC Mega 06: Phrost Shooting FN-FiveSeven

Christ I was blubbery in 2006. Anyway, it's a brilliant weapon but I couldn't hit **** with it. Maybe it was anticipating the recoil that wasn't there, or the wind pushing the teensy bullets around. I dunno.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 2:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: american kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have held one, never fired it though. It feels very lite, almost toy like as I recall (its been a while). I would expect good quality from FN. Also the ammo is fairly costly.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are all the urban legends about it being a hand-held rifle and shooting in one side and out the other of some guy this guy I know talked too's brother even though he had level 6 space marine power armor on remotely plausible?

Not that I care, I'm more then content to knock a guy in body armor down with .38 ball and then finish him with pridestomps...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 1:32am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

IMO it answers a question that nobody was asking.

Urban legends are exactly that.

Dr. Gary Roberts, probably the most knowledgeable and well respected person in the field, evaluated the round and basically concluded that it produces substandard wound profiles with unimpressive penetration depth. You could probably find the full results somewhere, but here is a snippet I picked off a google search real quick:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=148448&page=2

Anyway, you can spend money on whatever makes you happy. But it's not a magic bullet, certainly not even better than a plain old 9mm.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 2:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well I can see it if you KNOW you're going to be shooting a guy in armor or as a toy. (I would be buying it as B)

The Remington 870 will always be what comes out from under the bed if the rats in the walls get too loud

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 5:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got one. They're pretty damn accurate, low recoil, and very expensive to shoot.
    Boxes of 50 rounds are still hovering around $20.00, which is way too damn expensive for this particular gun. They strip easily (even from an armorer's perspective--I'm an FN armorer) and feel great in your hands. So...what's to stop you from buying one? Cost (many are priced near $1,000.), cost of ammo (see aforementioned rant), and controversial issues regarding penetration and effectiveness on human targets using the only commercially available, reduced-performance ammo on the market. I've got a PS90 as well..and I love the way that little thing shoots--again, unless you have full-load, badass ammo (which is restricted from public purchase)--you might be better off with another choice.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 11:54am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They feel cheap and crappy. I really really really wanted to like them but couldn't stand the feel of the thing.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 11:59am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On second thought "crappy" is subjective, but they do feel very plasticy and a little awkward, from front strap to backstrap is kind of long for my hands, I'm sure your hands are bigger then mine but I wouldn't buy one without handling it first. I prefer the feel of my airsoft guns.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/25/2009 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity View Post
    On second thought "crappy" is subjective, but they do feel very plasticy and a little awkward, from front strap to backstrap is kind of long for my hands, I'm sure your hands are bigger then mine but I wouldn't buy one without handling it first. I prefer the feel of my airsoft guns.
    Don't be too sure

I come from carny folk

I just got a line on a really cute mosin

For the cost of a little under 2 xbox games

I'll probably get that and be just as happy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast