Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Shootfighting?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shootfighting?

Anything wrong with it?

I mean, I see few MMA fighters with that background (obvious exeption excluded)

So is there anything wrong with it?

Or is it just to small to spawn many great fighters?

Or do I just suck and have no idea of what I am talking about? If so, name some currently great fighters so I can check that up.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't the precursor of what is Pride today? Is Shootfighting still its own sport?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well....yeah

At least in Sweden there are Shootfighting clubs and contests.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shootfighting goes hand in hand with catch wrestling. Its basically submission grappling with more wrestling emphasis than BJJ emphasis.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<done some shootfighting I liked it for what it was, definitely good as a precursor to full MMA.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are shootfighting rules? And what the **** is the difference between shootfighting and shooto? I don't understand.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy in my bjj class used to do shootfighting. He has had about the same number of classes as I have. Submission wise we are about equal (i.e. pisspoor), neither of us are able to get subs on each other. Positionally... well that is another story. The guy dominates, he moves from mount to side and back and I'm a little baby getting his candy taken.

If it is an option, I definetly would say go for it, this guy at least is highly competent at takedowns and getting position. From there he can strike pretty much at will except against really good grapplers.

Of course I myself suck so that may not really be a good barometer to go by.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought shootfighting was basically just a name for MMA.
    ie. standing, clinch fighting, takedowns, G&P, and submissions.

Is that wrong ?
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, people who did Shootfighting were piss poor ar most everything. They could get subs once in a while but were always sloppy and almost never worked. They had no strong points, but knew a little about lots of things.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shootfighting has limited time you stay on the ground I think, also if you touch the ropes the ref makes both stand up... So it has more limited rules than MMA.

There's also shootboxing... I THINK that's basically thai boxing w. standup grappling & throws allowed....

Page 1 of 3 123 Last