Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:58pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I want to second JohnnyS's post. If you're significantly on your side when they have the pin, they have to either push back into you (opening them up for the roll over) or you can just get to all fours and go for a single leg or something else.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm bored at work so here's a quick description on how to get the bridge and roll side control escape to work. This should only be used if you've messed up and he's got chest-on-chest i.e. your arms at at your sides rather than on your chest:
    He's on your right side with his left arm under your head. Use your right hand and grab his left bicep and pull down so it takes the pressure off your jaw. Keep control of his bicep and put your right elbow tip under his left hip.
    Your left hand reaches over and grabs the gi in the middle of his back and your elbow pulls down on the back of his head. This makes him into more a ball shape and so easier to roll. quite often the person will either jump to knee ride or lift his hips to pull his head free which is what you want.
    When he does this, walk your hips away a little and bridge and roll him to your left. You want to roll him over his own arm and not over your body or else you won't be able to do it if he's bigger than you.

So, right hand grabs his bicep.
    Left hand grabs the middle of his back, use your elbow to keep his head down.
    When he lifts his hips, keep his head down and bridge and roll to your left.

There's obviously more to this technique, but if it's too long most people won't read it. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you walk your hips away a little? Don't you wanna walk your hips in a little? Because if you're not close enough you're using more arm strength than the whole body roll. I guess ideally you'd scoot your hips away a little and then he'd push straight into/over you and you'd roll to help him out. Or am I missing something?

And which arm of his do you roll him over?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 8:09pm

Style: boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "He's actually just gay for Helio." ahh how many people is that true for

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 9:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to walk your hips away to try and make more of a cylinder shape with both bodies than a right angle. You don't need to walk your hips out very far to be effective. You should roll the guy over his left arm i.e the arm trapped under your head, so it's probably an angle of around 20 degrees from the top of your head. If you get the angle right it's easy.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reporting in.

The leg pendulum thing works to get me under the person on my side, but not any more than a good push on the closest knee.

Also, the escapes I tried today worked well against people intent on holding the sidemount, but the black belts would just move to another position (kesa-gatame and kata-gatame being the overwhelming majority). I still managed to take a shodan's back today though :D, although I failed to sink the sleeper choke.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 11:18pm

Style: Im a Lover, not a fighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by MrMcFu
    I am a white belt in BJJ. In total two years.

Most of the side escape techniques I have learned just don't work, especially when the other guy is bigger and stronger. Continual shrimping/bridging can help create space to get a half guard sometimes, but when my opponent is good, I am pretty much fucked.

And you were telling me...

"Obviously you have not learned too much about the "size and strength matters" rule. Maybe if you stopped rolling with only white belts, you would."

.... Uh huh. Apparently you are having quite a bit more trouble with people than I am. I do well for myself... and dont have any problems with people bigger than me, even when they are very good. Im 150 pounds and have no problems with people up to around 180 or so, including rolling them from side mount, and taking either side mount or north-south.. whichever I want. Learn your basics before you start talking ****.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 11:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, ok. Isn't that also a north south escape, JohnnyS? I was showed it once but wasn't able to remember it. What I was talking about was more of a straight on roll. It takes more strength, but it IS a viable option for the stronger folks.

Shumagaroth: It's really only for being able to turn to a side well. You may be able to get to your knees if you do it right. If you get to your side you start shrimping. It's only to create more space when simply bridging from side to side doesn't work.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 11:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about doing it from North-South. If you do it this way you don't need to be strong. There's a guy who I train with occasionally and you don't want to get side control on him because he just does this move on everyone. If you get the angle right there's no strength required at all.

As I said originally though, this isn't a move that you'd do unless you get caught with your arms out and can't get them back in. This move can leave you open to a far armbar and it's always easier to escape with your arms in so your body is like a cylinder.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 11:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the angle somewhat between north/south and side control? If I remember correctly, I was once shown an escape from north/south that sounds like what you're describing. I can't remember it though. I'll see next time I'm in class.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast