Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 6:18pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bridge back and forth, trying to get them to push back into me so I can roll them over. Makes me harder to hold down, too. If he pushes too hard, you roll 'em (hard to do if they're significantly bigger). If he doesn't push hard and he leaves space you can either regain guard or go to your knees. When going to my knees, I like to have a leg of his in my hand already, and then I pull his leg forward and to his opposite side and take him back down and hopefully land in side control. I also use the "pendulum" escape. Basically putting both of your feet together and swinging 'em from your right to left as if your waist was the center of a circle and their going perpendicular to the ground. Makes you VERY hard to hold down. Work it into your bridging. I only learned it a few days ago and it works wonders.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 6:21pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    He's actually just gay for Helio.
    Damn. You are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 6:22pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by mikus
    I bridge back and forth, trying to get them to push back into me so I can roll them over. Makes me harder to hold down, too. If he pushes too hard, you roll 'em (hard to do if they're significantly bigger). If he doesn't push hard and he leaves space you can either regain guard or go to your knees. When going to my knees, I like to have a leg of his in my hand already, and then I pull his leg forward and to his opposite side and take him back down and hopefully land in side control. I also use the "pendulum" escape. Basically putting both of your feet together and swinging 'em from your right to left as if your waist was the center of a circle and their going perpendicular to the ground. Makes you VERY hard to hold down. Work it into your bridging. I only learned it a few days ago and it works wonders.
    When you do the rocking, do you have reach over their back to their belt to anchor their lower body when your roll them over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That pendulum idea is interesting, mikus. I'm headed to Judo in an hour so I'll let someone get sidemount on me and see if it works.

Originally posted by brandeissansoo
    Shumagorath is roman, apparently
    What you say? If you're reffering to my use of "c" as a number, that's the constant for the speed of light (roughly 3 10^8). I figured I had a better chance of someone getting that than Na.

Originally posted by Anthony
    Damn. You are right.
    Impressive. You've worked on your reaction since last time I took that jab ;)
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/15/2004 6:33pm at .

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a white belt in BJJ. In total two years.

Most of the side escape techniques I have learned just don't work, especially when the other guy is bigger and stronger. Continual shrimping/bridging can help create space to get a half guard sometimes, but when my opponent is good, I am pretty much fucked.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side control escapes definately don't require you to have more strength than your opponent. If that was the case then only the big strong guys in BJJ would be the best or have black belts.

The first thing you need to know about escaping side control is not get caught there in the first position. I can hear many of you saying "Duh" but how many of you actually start doing your side control escapes before the guy has finished passing your guard?

You need to be setting up your escape earlier, which is why you rarely see top guys get put flat on their back. If someone looks like they're going to pass you should firstly turn onto your side. The hardest part of escaping side control is getting to your side, so do it before he pins you. From here you can get an underhook, or escape to your knees as he comes around to front control, or stop him controlling your head by blocking his nearest bicep with both arms etc.

To actually escape once he's got side control and is pinning you on your back is such a broad topic and so dependant on what your opponent is doing that it's almost impossible to write here as it would take too long.

Try escaping before he's passed your guard and you'll find that you're pinned far less often.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Anthony
    When you do the rocking, do you have reach over their back to their belt to anchor their lower body when your roll them over?
    Really, I don't use that escape too often. I'm one of the lightest people in my dojo and it's just not too high percentage for me, unless the person is a newbie and is keeping thier hips too high. You're big though, you could probably get it to work pretty well.

I actually use a bit of a modified version where if they're pushing into me, if I'm controlling their arm on my far side (their right arm if they're pinning me on my right side), I will roll onto all fours and go straight into one of those pigrolls we were talking about. I've been able to get it on people bigger than me with roughly equal skill level, but not the highly skilled guys who are my same size. Worth a try, anyway. The key is controlling the arm as high up towards the armpit as possible. If you only have the wrist area there's a good chance it'll slip and you'll roll back into side mount again.

For the version you're asking about, Anthony, the general principle is getting them pushing into you, and getting UNDER them a lot. And you should be on your side towards them (if they're pinning you on your right side, you're shrimped to your right side). Don't be flat on your back. When you get under them and they're pushing into you, grabbing between their legs should work well because you can raise their hips if they aren't doing it on their own. So I think you should experiment with different grips. The key is the principle. Try grabbing the belt over their back and kind of underhooking their crotch area. I think that'd be easiest for me.

Sorry about the jumbled response. It's really difficult to do.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    That pendulum idea is interesting, mikus. I'm headed to Judo in an hour so I'll let someone get sidemount on me and see if it works.
    Yup, try it out. A key point is to make sure both of your legs are together. Don't let them flop around apart, because the force cancels itself out. The pendulum builds momentum as you do it. Also, don't get into TOO much of a rhythmn or they'll catch on and know when/where to place their weight. Use it for a bit to get space and then bridge, and then shrimp, or whatever.

Also, if it wasn't clear in my other post on it, make sure your feet are going to the ceiling and back down. They should NOT be skidding across the floor at a constant height. It should be going along the circumference of a half circle that is from the ground to the ceiling. The momentum should lift your hips off the ground and make everyone look at you funny.

It also works well to get out of north/south and scarf control. Though, if someone has a good north/south on you it's hard to do if they have your head clamped down.

My friend is getting a video capture card soon so I'll try to post clips I have showing it on the Kosen videos. Hopefully in the next month or so.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Preacher
    a kimura could work in side control dependig on his position....althougt if the position is good for i kimura you could aswell oput your foot in beetween his feet and brifge ond voila you have him in side position....
    Actually, this could very well get you armbarred.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by MrMcFu
    Oh and I seem to remember some kind of sub when you are in side control, but I can't recall what it is. Anyone remember? Besides some collar choke . . .
    You can do a reverse triangle choke. It's a little hard to explain. You can only do it if they're pinning you with one arm between your legs, though. That seems to be a common judo way to pin someone. From what I've seen from bjj competition videos, bjj'ers seem to do it much less often.

There is a collar choke you can begin from standing which ends up with you in sidecontrol, I believe, but I don't think it's something you can just grab when you're on the bottom.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast