Style: Do not train

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: rodrigo@bjjseattle.com
    Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:45 PM
    Subject: Master Kevin Smith brown belt lineage question

Dear Sir,

I apologize for bothering you, but recently a lineage question has occured regarding a Mr. Kevin Smith ( http://www.tkd-bjj.com/Instructor.php (bottom of the page) and it was alleged in a post linked below at he was awarded his 4th stripe for his brown belt by your orginazation and I'd simply like to verify that, if possible.

The post can be found at:

No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Master Kevin smith

This exact support statement on the behalf of Mr. Smith was also made at http://www.lockflow.com/viewtopic.ph...f8770275492b07 but unfortunately at the time I am sending you this, www.lockflow.com appears to be down.

Again, my apologies for interrupting your day and training with this matter.

Jon

<enrious' real name>
    St. Charles, MO
    <enrious' email addr>
    <enrious' cell number>

Permanent Lurker

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 10:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: mabjj@hotmail.com
    Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:56 PM
    Subject: Question concerning the ranking of a Mr. Kevin Smith

Hello,

Recently some requests for clarification regarding the Brazillian (Gracie) Jiu-Jitsu ranking of a Mr. Kevin Smith ( http://www.tkd-bjj.com/Instructor.php - bottom of the page ), including claims that Mr. Alonso awarded him his BJJ black belt. I'd like to verify this if possible, as I was unable to see any reference to Mr. Smith on your websites Instructors or Affiliates pages.

Is this a ranking that can be verified by Mr. Alonso? I appreciate any time you can spare in a response and thank you for your time.

The links that support the ranking may be found at

No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Master Kevin smith

and

http://www.lockflow.com/viewtopic.php?p=213458

Again, I thank you in advance for any insight you may provide and apologize you for interrupting your day.

Sincerely,

Jon

<enrious' email addr>
    St. Charles, MO
    <enrious' cell number>

Permanent Lurker

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 12:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recieved a call from Rodrigo from Gracie Barra Seattle (caller id number matches that of the Barra's listed on the website) and he wanted to know why people were asking about Kevin.

I explained that someone simply wanted to verify his training and ranking as Kevin is teaching BJJ. I explained to Rodrigo that I do not know Kevin, not even being in the same state. People were asking simply to verify Kevin's rank, just to ensure that if they studdied BJJ under Kevin, they would be recieving safe and effective training.

Rodrigo said he understood and explained that he does know Kevin and believed him to be "one of the best around here" (at the Barra). Rodrigo said he does not keep up with other instructors, so he cannot say if Kevin was awarded a black belt by Alonso, so I asked Rodrigo what he thought of Kevin's skill level. Rodrigo immediately replied that he feels Kevin's skill is at black belt level and also commented that in terms of jiu-jitsu, Kevin has "been around a long time".

Rodrigo also confirmed that he awarded Kevin his brown belt, 4 stripes. Rodrigo then pointed out that as a a black belt 1st degree, he is unable to promote anyone above the the rank of brown w/4 stripes according to the Federation policies.

Rodrigo also said that Kevin has taught classes for him a few times and also mentioned that Kevin won a "large jiu-jitsu tournament" and he again emphasized that he believe Kevin to be a very skilled player.

Based on Rodrigo's conversation, it seems that Kevin has a black belt skill level and in terms of thus far authenticated rank, he has been given the highest rank possible that Rodrigo can award, although as mentioned, Rodrigo believed at the time that Kevin's skill level was higher than that rank.

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 1:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Professor Kevin Smith - Gracie Barra, Southsound

I know this is in reference to an old post, but this is the most recently updated website for Professor Kevin Smith's bio and school info.

http://www.southsoundbjj.com/

You can also find him on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Federa...u/277191911001

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 3:56pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that settles it. Confirmed his placement at the Pan Ams on the results page, 3rd place Brown belt Senior 2 is a Kevin Smith affiliated with Gracie Barra. It would appear he was a brown belt when the emails were sent asking for confirmation of his lineage too, kinda ridiculous they didn't just answer with what we know now. Would have put this to bed ages ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 3:57pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're in the Seattle area, check out Marcelo Alonso, go here:

mabjj.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Well that settles it. Confirmed his placement at the Pan Ams on the results page, 3rd place Brown belt Senior 2 is a Kevin Smith affiliated with Gracie Barra. It would appear he was a brown belt when the emails were sent asking for confirmation of his lineage too, kinda ridiculous they didn't just answer with what we know now. Would have put this to bed ages ago.
    FYI, Kevin was promoted to Black Belt at the GB instructors meeting after Pan-Ams by Carlos Gracie Jr. and Rodrigo Lopes. www.southsoundbjj.com now reflects this.

PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 6:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

>

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Would have made more sense just to all professor smith or checked out the school. I am a blue belt under Kevin and have trained under him for 5 years now it's much simpler just to ask him he is a very kind honest person and tells everyone he now a professor and he was a coach prior though given the title by the gracie family of MASTER Coach due to his personal relationship rank and history in the world of BJJ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 8:28pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsedergren View Post
    Would have made more sense just to all professor smith or checked out the school. I am a blue belt under Kevin and have trained under him for 5 years now it's much simpler just to ask him he is a very kind honest person and tells everyone he now a professor and he was a coach prior though given the title by the gracie family of MASTER Coach due to his personal relationship rank and history in the world of BJJ
    If I'm not mistaken, people DID attempt to contact Kevin and the school and never seemed to get an answer or call back.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 12:58am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsedergren View Post
    This post is semi-retarded, but you're new here. Welcome to Bullshido. I suggest you go read the stickies in the MABS forum as to how we conduct investigations. Several of us DID ask politely for Kevin's credentials, I know I was one via email. All of them were roundly ignored, which 9 out of 10 times is Not A Good Sign© and indicates there's some bullshit afoot. Thankfully it turned out to be not a an issue and Kevin's not bullshit. This could have and should have been ended in about 3 posts if they'd just have responded to our requests earlier.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast