Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 11:18am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update as of noon 04/21, no response to my request sent via the site. Hopefully khm016 has had better luck calling them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 5:22pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coach Smith brought Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to Washington by bringing up the first certified Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor Marcelo Alonso. Coach Smith trained under Marcelo, Alfredo Aablog, Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Carlson Gracie, Carlson Gracie Jr, Allan Goes, Mario Sperry and more.
    So yeah, seems that Marcelo might know ;p.

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 10:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Thank you, we all feel so much more educated now.
    LOL!

the funny thing is when I wrote my first email asking about prices and schedule they responded very quick but the speed of reply pertaining to the black belt is not being treated with the same urgency.

pertaining to phonecalls it is very hard to get someone to answer + no mssg services.

also email Marcelo Alonso but no reply as of yet.

Posted On:
    7/20/2009 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kevin Smith

Hello,

Just wanted to give my two cents on Kevin Smith. I started grappling training with Scott Sonnon in 2000 doing Ross (Russian Sambo) and have been studying bjj with since 2002. Got my blue in 2004 from a 10+ year Royler Affiliate in PA. Trained in PA until 2006 when I moved here to the Seattle area. I have trained with Eric Dahlberg and James Foster since I have been in Washington State, having been with coach Foster the longest (2.5 years.)

In Jan of 2009, I was looking for a change (coach Foster is great as is his school) just needed something different and came across Kevin's web page at International MMA. I wrote to Eric Dahlberg who is reputed to be one of the best MMA and bjj instructors in the state, and is a person I greatly respect. From discussions with Eric, I knew he had trained with Kevin for years at Marcelo's and would give me it strait. I asked him his opinion of Kevin and he had only glowing remarks for Kevin. Its my understanding (from many sources) that Kevin was instrumental in bringing Marcelo Alonso to Washington state many years ago, and that he and another training partner spent a large amount of money, to help Marcelo move here and establish his school. Kevin is one of if not the oldest tenured instructor in Washington state having been involved in bjj since 1993. Coach Smith was awarded his brown belt through Marcelo and has been recently awarded his brown with 4 stripes by Gracie Barra in Seattle, becoming a member of the Barra team. From what I hear, Kevin was awarded his black belt by a Alfredo AAblogg (unsure of the spelling of the last name), but values the linage and distinction of the Barra team having trained with many members through the years and is excited to be on the team.

I have always surrounded myself with good people... and have been fortunate to train with some very good BJJ people and I would put Kevin Smith up against anyone I have trained with in regards to Love of BJJ, Technical proficiency and knowledge as well as how he treats the people he has on his team. In my eyes he is a great coach and mentor. He does not know I am writing this..and Im not gonna tell him I did, but I hope that others who read this see and know him put in their positive comments.

Thats my 2-c.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 7:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by h2430djm View Post
    Hello,

Just wanted to give my two cents on Kevin Smith. I started grappling training with Scott Sonnon in 2000 doing Ross (Russian Sambo) and have been studying bjj with since 2002. Got my blue in 2004 from a 10+ year Royler Affiliate in PA. Trained in PA until 2006 when I moved here to the Seattle area. I have trained with Eric Dahlberg and James Foster since I have been in Washington State, having been with coach Foster the longest (2.5 years.)

In Jan of 2009, I was looking for a change (coach Foster is great as is his school) just needed something different and came across Kevin's web page at International MMA. I wrote to Eric Dahlberg who is reputed to be one of the best MMA and bjj instructors in the state, and is a person I greatly respect. From discussions with Eric, I knew he had trained with Kevin for years at Marcelo's and would give me it strait. I asked him his opinion of Kevin and he had only glowing remarks for Kevin. Its my understanding (from many sources) that Kevin was instrumental in bringing Marcelo Alonso to Washington state many years ago, and that he and another training partner spent a large amount of money, to help Marcelo move here and establish his school. Kevin is one of if not the oldest tenured instructor in Washington state having been involved in bjj since 1993. Coach Smith was awarded his brown belt through Marcelo and has been recently awarded his brown with 4 stripes by Gracie Barra in Seattle, becoming a member of the Barra team. From what I hear, Kevin was awarded his black belt by a Alfredo AAblogg (unsure of the spelling of the last name), but values the linage and distinction of the Barra team having trained with many members through the years and is excited to be on the team.

I have always surrounded myself with good people... and have been fortunate to train with some very good BJJ people and I would put Kevin Smith up against anyone I have trained with in regards to Love of BJJ, Technical proficiency and knowledge as well as how he treats the people he has on his team. In my eyes he is a great coach and mentor. He does not know I am writing this..and Im not gonna tell him I did, but I hope that others who read this see and know him put in their positive comments.

Thats my 2-c.

Thanks for your post, but do you have any evidence of this? This is basically just hearsay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 12:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything on here is Hearsay.. We are not in court of law.. but if we were some of it would be accepted as "Evidence" and some may not. Since I am not in a court of law..all the evidence I need..like most moments in my life, is based in my own personal knowledge, my own personal experience and the knowledge of persons I trust.

Im not defending coach Smith, those that seek to tear him down will continue to do so (the politics of BJJ run strong) I just am giving my 2 cents...sharing another part of the picture (as I have experiance it first hand). Take it or leave it..or...as one person posted..come in and roll with him...I guarantee he can tap you 20 time a minute or roll for and hour move to move. He runs a great class has people developing as fast or faster than any school I have attended. He has a team that loves him and each other. Kevin always talks about community, about his training brothers that are now black belts and are running schools in the area, about Marcelo. He only has good things to say, he preaches to us that we are all one big bjj community and that we are forbidden from bad mouthing other schools. He encourages us to check other places out, to find the place where we fit if it is not with him. If your close enought to attend class..your close enough to stop in and ask him questions face to face. BTW..Kevin has opened another school in Buckley with a long time student, now you have a second location to stop in for a chat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 3:31pm

Style: We'll see

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything on here is Hearsay.. We are not in court of law.. but if we were some of it would be accepted as "Evidence" and some may not. Since I am not in a court of law..all the evidence I need..like most moments in my life, is based in my own personal knowledge, my own personal experience and the knowledge of persons I trust.

Im not defending coach Smith, those that seek to tear him down will continue to do so (the politics of BJJ run strong) I just am giving my 2 cents...sharing another part of the picture (as I have experiance it first hand). Take it or leave it..or...as one person posted..come in and roll with him...I guarantee he can tap you 20 time a minute or roll for and hour move to move. He runs a great class has people developing as fast or faster than any school I have attended. He has a team that loves him and each other. Kevin always talks about community, about his training brothers that are now black belts and are running schools in the area, about Marcelo. He only has good things to say, he preaches to us that we are all one big bjj community and that we are forbidden from bad mouthing other schools. He encourages us to check other places out, to find the place where we fit if it is not with him. If your close enought to attend class..your close enough to stop in and ask him questions face to face. BTW..Kevin has opened another school in Buckley with a long time student, now you have a second location to stop in for a chat.
    No one fucking cares. Where did he get his BB from? What tournaments has he competed in, what tournaments have his students competed in and how did they do? This is the kind of thing people want when they ask for evidence, not a verbal measurement of just how far your head is up his ass.

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :) Nice..you eloquence almost matches your arrogance.

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 7:05pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantroce View Post
    No one fucking cares. Where did he get his BB from? What tournaments has he competed in, what tournaments have his students competed in and how did they do? This is the kind of thing people want when they ask for evidence, not a verbal measurement of just how far your head is up his ass.
    You reading comprehension, retarded, arse. He already said from what he knew:

Coach Smith was awarded his brown belt through Marcelo and has been recently awarded his brown with 4 stripes by Gracie Barra in Seattle, becoming a member of the Barra team. From what I hear, Kevin was awarded his black belt by a Alfredo AAblogg (unsure of the spelling of the last name)[sic]
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 10:37pm

Style: We'll see

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    You reading comprehension, retarded, arse. He already said from what he knew:
    That only answered one question (and not very well), and it was all from some guy on the internet just talking out of his ass. Surrounding that little "fact" of who he got his blackbelt from was him giving annoying anecdotes hanging off the guys dick. OP wanted to know if this Kevin Smith person is a worthwhile person to train with and he came on and wrote a ton of worthless information in his post. So from what he hears, he got his blackbelt from Alfredo Abdakdjabooo. Suuuuper. That answers that.

I've seen people do that before, and in most cases it's some ninjer defending his sensei.

And bolded for retarded sentence structure, you dumb ****.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast