Posted On:
    4/21/2009 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DV7
    don't take any criticism to personally.
    one set of vids, against the zame opponent isn't enough to evaluate.

there are some things obiously needing attention,
    but mostly it is a nice change from most videoed
    sparring on here, especially wc.

thanks!
    `~/

btw - experience is the best teacher!

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 9:15am

Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vorpal, how long have you been doing Thai boxing?
    DV7, same question to you in regards to WC.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MT? I just switched last month (same for BJJ) I had previously been training Aikijujutsu for a year and a half and took Hapkido in Korea back in the mid eighties.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 8:50pm

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaRonin View Post
    Vorpal, how long have you been doing Thai boxing?
    DV7, same question to you in regards to WC.
    well i first started training in martial arts in 1991 at a kung fu school, and the style was a hybrid of 5 Animals and Wing Chun, and i also practiced Tai Chi there. i did that for about 4 years and wrestled in high school for the first 2.

i met Sifu Mazza in 1995 and decided to dedicate my training to Traditional Wing Chun. i've been with him ever since, but I haven't trained throughout all those years. my biggest problem, as he tells me, and as i know myself, is consistancy. i'll be gung ho for a little while and do some serious training, then i'll disappear for a while. and throughout the years, there have been periods of my life where my training may have been a lot less wing chun and more of what would amount to kickboxing(because of how i work out with the punching bag, or who i'm working out with on the side), or just going to the gym. and there are definitely times in which i'm not in class as much as i'm training at home doing Shaolin-based conditioning stuff, which is great and all, but caused my refined fighting skills to fall by the wayside.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 10:02pm

Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, DV7. You're to be commended for putting yourself out there. You probably know where I'm going with this. Judging by Vorpal's response, he's had about a month of schooling in real punches and kicks and yet it appeared to me he was dominant with the more explosive shots that counted. Look at his fundamentals -- chin down, hands up in a loaded position, hands going back to guard after exchanges, and putting his body behind the shots. Being smaller and therefore faster, you did catch or stop kick his leg a few times. At other times you would try a parry or trap, throw a few punches, and then pause. That's one of the side effects of too many, compliant two-man drills. You got away with those pauses and chin in the air, but that's what's going to get you seriously decked in the future. Vorpal did catch you good on the inside after a couple of exchanges, which is supposed to be the bread and butter range of WC. You may be a tougher gringo than myself, but in my younger WC days I didn't particularly enjoy getting hit in the face with those inside, short crosses and hooks that I couldn't see coming so I dropped the slap-happy crap.

That other feller with the orange/yellow logo on black. [what's up with that color scheme, BTW?].. Please don't tell me he's one of the senior students. The guy punches like my cat paws at the end of a string.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, DV7. You're to be commended for putting yourself out there. You probably know where I'm going with this. Judging by Vorpal's response, he's had about a month of schooling in real punches and kicks and yet it appeared to me he was dominant with the more explosive shots that counted. Look at his fundamentals -- chin down, hands up in a loaded position, hands going back to guard after exchanges, and putting his body behind the shots. Being smaller and therefore faster, you did catch or stop kick his leg a few times. At other times you would try a parry or trap, throw a few punches, and then pause. That's one of the side effects of too many, compliant two-man drills. You got away with those pauses and chin in the air, but that's what's going to get you seriously decked in the future. Vorpal did catch you good on the inside after a couple of exchanges, which is supposed to be the bread and butter range of WC. You may be a tougher gringo than myself, but in my younger WC days I didn't particularly enjoy getting hit in the face with those inside, short crosses and hooks that I couldn't see coming so I dropped the slap-happy crap.

That other feller with the orange/yellow logo on black. [what's up with that color scheme, BTW?].. Please don't tell me he's one of the senior students. The guy punches like my cat paws at the end of a string.
    oddly enough, my Sifu said very similar things and says i haven't been in class enough. i was just a little sloppy and resorted to some bad habits.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, DV7. You're to be commended for putting yourself out there. You probably know where I'm going with this. Judging by Vorpal's response, he's had about a month of schooling in real punches and kicks and yet it appeared to me he was dominant with the more explosive shots that counted.
    he's definitely been training real punches and kicks for over a month, by the way. you should check out his youtube page and look at all the sparring vids he has on there, and even watch him when he's really dominating someone and you'll see some differences.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234