Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 10:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido USA- Worst Dojo in the History of the World

I was employed here for 8 months teaching children and adult Jujitsu classes. There were 3 other sensei, all teaching Aikido. One of which was a 6th kyu, the other two claimed to be second dan, but it was apparent by their poor and often dangerous teaching technique that they had only read a few books about aikido. They kept no records of payments and arbitrarily changed the monthly fee. They never cleaned the mats or the facility.

I started an MMA program here, employing another instructor who was EXTREMELY experienced and knowledgeable. They canceled this after a very short time because they did not want to upgrade insurance, even though the MMA program was bringing in a lot of people.

Testing requirements were insanely simple, each rank consisting of 4 or 5 techniques. The average age for the "black belt" students was 12, many of which only trained for about 6 months.

There was very little equipment. There were two heavy bags, two sets of sparring gear, some bokken and shinai, and some freeweights and kettlebells which I brought in and owned, so when I left I took them all. Now, it is basically a room with mats and nothing else. Uniforms were bought from a local store and sold for greatly inflated price.

I do not reccomend this dojo for anyone who is remotely serious about traditional martial arts. It is cheap, which is about the only positive I can think of.

Their website: www.aikidousa.org

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, tell us what you really think ;)

Posted On:
    4/13/2009 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha. Yeah, I held back a little. I should try to be more blunt next time I write a scathing review.

Posted On:
    4/13/2009 8:17pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a minute, how did you end up teaching at such a bad place? Did you interview? Were you suddenly surprised by the suckage? Are you a competent instructor? This review sounds like sour grapes. The grapes may suck anyway, but you sound like you have other issues. Please give more background.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/13/2009 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Hell, tell us what you really think ;)
    I think Isshin-Ryu's the only bigger waste of time than Aikido.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    4/13/2009 11:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
    I think Isshin-Ryu's the only bigger waste of time than Aikido.
    Isshinryu varies wildly and I don't recommend it as a rule. I'll give you that much.

Beyond that you can eat a dick, you ignorant punk.

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

to mike

Well, here is a little more background about the situation.

I was previously running the martial arts programs at the YMCA and I met the director of Aikido USA through that, because they ran a few classes at a community center we worked with. At this point, the dojo which this thread is about didn't exist. When they started the dojo, they asked me to come and work there very early on, as it was only a few months old. Of course, me being young and brash, I left the Y because the idea of a small private school seemed much more appealing. At first, I attributed the "suckage" to the fact that it was new. I also had very little contact with the other instructors and I was free to run my classes the way I wanted to, which was nice. I like to think that I am a competent instructor. I've been training for almost 15 years now and I have been teaching for 5. I left Aikido USA after 8 months. The reason I stayed was that I was naive enough to think that it would improve, but the poor management prevented that. It seems pretty commonplace in dojos now adays that the martial arts are undermined by the whole business aspect of it. My opinion of the dojo may be a result of the animosity I have towards them, nevertheless my experience training in a variety of schools around the world give me a good idea of how poor Aikido USA really was run and maintained. I still would not reccomend it to anyone who is interested in a comprehensive martial arts program. If you want to get a black belt in 6 months and a few hundred dollars, then by all means I reccomend Aikido USA. If you go that route, just try not to get into a real fight.

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 11:56pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your response was well done and will help people understand where you are coming from and make the review more useful. Best of luck finding your martial path going forward.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 8:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Mike. Also thank you for asking me about it and giving me the opportunity to explain further.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2009 9:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like aikido daycare.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast