Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 9:32pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I shouldn't have mentioned the whole back story... I don't really care about guns on campus. It would be nice to have that little freedom for everyone involved, but I won't hold my breath.

I am not worried since college campuses are pretty safe places in general. The whole gun crazed student shooting up a place doesn't really happen that often and other violent crimes are rare as well. Most of the violent crimes are going to be from people you know anyway.

I will say this again in the hopes that some person made of the purest awesome hears me... Does anyone have a scientific study saying that guns make people safer?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 10:11pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First campus I went to was a CC. They had like 4 full-time security officers. I only ever saw one when he kicked me out for staying too late in the ceramics room trying to finish a firing. I never got to see what he had on his "utility belt". State police patrolled the campus day/night anyways and there were no dorms so no biggie there.

Second campus I went to was a private Uni. They had like 5 full-time security officers and they had access to pistols but didn't carry usually. The rest of the security was, I kid you not, a bunch of students who signed up for the work study program. They carried tasers and attended classes at the Police Dept. This place had an extremely tight access control for their dorms.

Third campus I am at now has a fully decked out Campus Police. Beings the campus is all over the place they work with the city police as well. They might as well be real police. Looser access on the dorms but with a much higher personnel presence.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash View Post
    Damn, I shouldn't have mentioned the whole back story... I don't really care about guns on campus. It would be nice to have that little freedom for everyone involved, but I won't hold my breath.

I am not worried since college campuses are pretty safe places in general. The whole gun crazed student shooting up a place doesn't really happen that often and other violent crimes are rare as well. Most of the violent crimes are going to be from people you know anyway.

I will say this again in the hopes that some person made of the purest awesome hears me... Does anyone have a scientific study saying that guns make people safer?
    Virginia Tech Massacre

Appalachian School of Law Shooting (Virginia)

Consider everywhere else control group.... :new_Llol:
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Virginia Tech Massacre

Appalachian School of Law Shooting (Virginia)

Consider everywhere else control group.... :new_Llol:
    Not a good example because the guy from ASL had no bullets left when he left the building and was subdued. It shows how students acted in a defensive manner to subdue a violent attacker, which is good, but shows little statistical significance in the long run.

All these people including the police officer that was also a student had to get their firearms out of their cars before confronting the shooter.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 3:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash View Post
    Not a good example because the guy from ASL had no bullets left when he left the building and was subdued. It shows how students acted in a defensive manner to subdue a violent attacker, which is good, but shows little statistical significance in the long run.

All these people including the police officer that was also a student had to get their firearms out of their cars before confronting the shooter.
    Please keep in mind that my post was partially in jest, since for such a "study" we'd have to have a significant sample of armed students and faculty using their guns against any armed attackers stupid enough to try a VA Tech/Columbine massacre on such a campus.

I'd venture to say that your question:
    ... would be answered by any study done where open- or concealed carry is introduced anywhere. I don't believe that adding schoolbooks to an environment would change the dynamic of arming potential victims.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2009 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, but I still don't know how to find those studies... i r not knowing things.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345