Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 1:47pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should Campus Security carry handguns?

I was talking to someone yesterday who said that they were concerned about their school arming the campus security. I tend to lean towards more guns = more better, but I couldn't really argue with her about it because I couldn't refute her claim that there is no evidence that guns on campus make it safer. BTW the reasoning given for this was the Virginia Tech Killings, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

So bottom line is, anyone have studies or any kind of evidence of guns making people safer? Doesn't need to be campus safety but anything along those lines would be a huge help to my **** talking.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash View Post
    I was talking to someone yesterday who said that they were concerned about their school arming the campus security. I tend to lean towards more guns = more better, but I couldn't really argue with her about it because I couldn't refute her claim that there is no evidence that guns on campus make it safer. BTW the reasoning given for this was the Virginia Tech Killings, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

So bottom line is, anyone have studies or any kind of evidence of guns making people safer? Doesn't need to be campus safety but anything along those lines would be a huge help to my **** talking.
    The problem with Virgini Tech wasn't the lack of guns, as they have their own armed police department, it was the total lack of communication.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:07pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is this school? I was also going to say that most university campuses have their own police departments with distinct patrol cars and campus hq's. All of the colleges in my area have armed police - not just the big state uni.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:11pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell her she is right. Security should be armed with fucking pillows and water baloons. For fucks sake people. Where has the common sense gone?
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

l Travel To Get Choked!

Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:19pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only concern with arming campus safety is the INCREDIBLY lax screening for campus officers. With this lax screening comes some very questionable characters, do we really want them armed?

Now, I'm fully of the mind that STUDENTS should be allowed to carry provided they have a permit.

solves problems with violence

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no , no. NO, people, what is needed is more people trained in conflict resolution, i mean if someone had tried to reason with the VA tech shooter, he would have calmed down and been reasonable...

oh wait, no, he would have shot them down like a dog, never mind.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:33pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    My only concern with arming campus safety is the INCREDIBLY lax screening for campus officers. With this lax screening comes some very questionable characters, do we really want them armed?
    Oh, I was under the impression that campus police are a branch of the regular police. Or by "campus safety", do you mean civilian contractors who patrol but don't have any actual powers of arrest?

By way of an aside, when I first came to the university I work at from the UK, I attended a new-faculty orientation that included a presentation from the campus police. I was expecting a nice "hello", and "we're here to help, if you see anything suspicious in the parking lot, etc..." But instead the first thing this incredibly fat police woman said was "If we stop you, keep your hands on the wheel at all times. We will shoot you."

Now I get that you should never reach over suddenly when pulled over by the police, but for a presentation to a bunch of new, bespectacled professors, it was a bit of a strange welcome!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 2:37pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only if they're funded well enough to be properly trained. Meaning, better than the average police officer.

(If you're a LEO and you do firearms training outside of work, good for you.)

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 3:21pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    The problem with Virgini Tech wasn't the lack of guns, as they have their own armed police department, it was the total lack of communication.
    Could you elaborate on solutions you see to campus security?

Anyone have any evidence based information?

l Travel To Get Choked!

Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/17/2009 3:35pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Oh, I was under the impression that campus police are a branch of the regular police. Or by "campus safety", do you mean civilian contractors who patrol but don't have any actual powers of arrest?
    My first college, a state school the campus safety officers were not sworn police, had no arrest powers, and were not armed. There was talk of making them "Peace Officers" and arming them. I left before the issue came to a vote.

My second college, a two year community college, the campus safety were an outside security firm, they were to a man fat, slovenly, unmotivated and thankfully unarmed.

My third college was a private institution, it's campus safety officers were civilian, a fair number were ex police officers, they were decently trained, decently equipped, unarmed, and generally competent.

In the end it's simply a question of money.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast