Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Hapkido Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 7:13pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    wait a minute, didn't i say that you had to learn to use the terminology of the site? the kind of ground fighting that you are describing is not what is considered grappling here. call it a semantics battle, but if you can't put students into submission grappling tournaments and have them do well, you don't get to claim that you teach "grappling."

you've been a member since 2004, i really find it hard to believe that you are this naive about the way things work here.
    What rating of grappling do think we should be? Thanks for getting me caught up. I have been a member since 2004 but ha ve not posted inhere very much. 2005 i think i posted and then not again until 2008 or 2009. Please correct me if I am wrong here as well.

Thank you Ming.

Hapkido Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Ignorant. Tell that to the athletes from 50 years ago.
    Think aboutit this way. Did they grow a third arm or something? You don't think the spartans or vikings were very strong? Athletes have improved due to scientific research to increase performance in competition, yes. Modern combat has evolved due to increase of technology. Times have changed, but you still have to attack someone to hit them. Therefore, people in that aspect have not changed. That is my point. Nothing else.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 7:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are different from 2000 years ago let alone 50. Yes, science, which involves the brain including critical thinking has changed. Do you need the article? The brain has changed which, is part of the Human Body, which led to science advancing. Now, we have these remarkable athletes.

If you believe in evolution:

So, by your logic no third arm means no body changes?

Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Jujutsu, etc have all changed. Yet, yourhas not changed in 2000 years? Ignorant.

Please, I'm out. No grappling by this websites definition:
    6-7: Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application (LEO, military).

You are not a seven.

Hapkido Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    It sounds like you are making most of your information up as you go along. Hapkido has not been practiced for thousands of years in Asia. If you even bothered to wiki this you would know it. Do your own research before trying to pass this crap off on anyone. I doubt you are a hapkido instructor.
    If you bothered to look at my profile, I'm in Illinois, I can go to a local mcdojo around here and have someone tell me the same bs you're trying to.
    If you post a link with videos and they look like that, expect to have them ridiculed.
    After hearing your uneducated responses and total arrogance about your untested techniques there isn't a chance that I would go to any of your "seminars" for free.

I don't think you are an actual instructor, so I don't know why I'm arguing with you.
    You are NOT reading what I worte. I did NOT say that Hapkido was usesd on the battlefield for thousands of years. I said the same type of techniques were. Hapkido is new, 1953 is when the first time the term Hapkido was first used, I beleive. Before that it was called Hapkiyoosool, Hapkiyookwonsool, and a few others. The Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese have all used the same basic joint manipulation and "bone Setting" for a long time. The human body is the same in every culture and country. 6 major movable joints that can be easly dislocated if done with properly applied techniques. The same techniques doctors use to put them back in are the same ones we use to take them out. FACT. You cannot argue with that.

Untested Technique? Prove that please. Now I know you do not read carefully what I have written and you have no recourse to argue with me.

Did you know that Hapkido is taught to the Korean Special Forces? It worked in Vietnam for them and it works for us today. My father was first exposed to Hapkido while in Vietnam by the Korean soldiers he served with. They told him it was Hapkido then that they were using in real hand to hand combat. Check the history books. Untested??

Wikpedia? It is able to be edited by anyone. I don't trust it.

I am sorry you don't believe I am a Hapkido instructor. It is your loss.
    Here is a link on youtube NOT posted by me but someone else. You will see me in the video with my instructor (upper right hand corner). I did not make this video. Someone who attended one of our seminars did and put it up on youtube.
    Grandmaster Chang and Master Jeff Allen

I don't see the need to argue. What I teach works. It doens't matter what you beleive, the truth does not change. It doesn't matter how you feel or what you thought you saw. It is what you feel when you step on the mat. I don't have to knock someone's teeth out to prove what I do works. I can show someone without causing any permant physical injury like we do everynight in class. I know what I do works. I am not angry. I am strongly standing up for what I know is truth. I am 40 years old and have been in Hapkido for 33 years. Maybe I don't think like you young kids do. I don't use the word "dude" or "cool". I am just not that "hip". I am not in here to argue with young kids who may have never even been out of their own home town more than once. If that's you, don't take it personally. Go travel the world and educate yourself on how the whole world works. Please. I am too busy with my wife and two kids. As well as my school, and various other things like taking care of my house, cars, and other things that require maintenance and attention. For instance: This is also something I am involved in.

The whole discussion is that I am learning how the rating on this particular site works. The whole thread is about that. Ming has really patiently helped to bring me up to date on that. He has never attakced what I teach. Only trying to help me understand this site rating system. Thank you Ming.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkiyoosool View Post
    The whole discussion is that I am learning how the rating on this particular site works. The whole thread is about that. Ming has really patiently helped to bring me up to date on that. He has never attakced what I teach. Only trying to help me understand this site rating system. Thank you Ming.
    just to be clear, i am extremely skeptical of your claims, but do feel the most important goal here in *this* forum, is that school owners understand the rating system *first* before any real discussion of pressure testing is raised.

if someone is looking for hapkido, then they probably buy into the whole outlandish technique thing, anyway, so they can make their own decision.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 11:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand by my criticism.

Your "thousand year technique" comment is not only hoplogically incorrent, but it is disingenuous & misleading.

Hapgido can only reliably be traced as far as Daito-ryu, & that's pushing it. Daito-ryu's own history is also greatly controversial. Even accepting this it is nowhere near 1,000 years old.

Your argument that people have been joint locking in Asia for a 1000 years is disingenuous, because people have been joint-locking across the globe since the dawn of time. By your logic, every system is therefore a 1000 years old. Unless you can prove a direct hoplogical transmission of a certain set of techniques, this claim is prima facie bullshit.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 4/21/2009 10:15am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 12:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    but do feel the most important goal here in *this* forum, is that school owners understand the rating system *first* before any real discussion of pressure testing is raised.
    This is why many people feel reviews should be done by students not instructors.

As we can see, it is hard for instructors to be unbiased.

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 11:58am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is why many people feel reviews should be done by students not instructors.

As we can see, it is hard for instructors to be unbiased.
    You tell me:

Instructor's School Review

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 12:06pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the weapons ratings: Let me know if this is up to par. Sword (katana and wakizashi-meaning side arm), knife, spear, naginata, and staff (all of which we train with ie: live blade cutting, full power attacks with these weapons when you reach the proficency to defend against such attacks as the samurai did. They too were humans and had to train as we do). Our black belts do knife defense with live weapons as we did in Korea. I have great insurance, but at an expense. I also take my students to the range adn have them fire guns. "How can you expect to defend against a weapon you know nothing about?" I ask them. When you're being carjacked, you can't defend through a car door unless they reach in. If you are in a rough neighborhood, keep it in your lap. Be prepared! Just shoot them through the door if they are pointing a gun at you. It is justified in the USA. Florida Anyway. If they were going to kill you, they would have shot you already. Most of those guys shoot our of fear, also why some people attack. To prove themselves.
    If your weapons curriculum does not culminate in this:

YouTube - Dog Brothers Martial Arts

then you do not get a 10.

You can at most get an 8. Without entering events such as Dog Brothers' Gatherings, etc, you do not get a 10.

Further, the fact that you practice knife disarms with actual blades gives me several possibilities:

1) You do not practice an alive method of training, since this would guarantee that people would get cut, slashed, or stabbed, and likely killed.

Correlary: This likely means you do not have a good understanding of the Aliveness Theorem advocated by Matt Thornton, and thus, all of your other ratings are now called into question.

Possibility 2:

You're bullshitting.

I'd like to go with #1 to start off with. It will lead to a better discussion.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 4/21/2009 12:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2009 12:35pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the weapons ratings: Let me know if this is up to par. Sword (katana and wakizashi-meaning side arm), knife, spear, naginata, and staff (all of which we train with ie: live blade cutting, full power attacks with these weapons when you reach the proficency to defend against such attacks as the samurai did. They too were humans and had to train as we do). Our black belts do knife defense with live weapons as we did in Korea.
    Up to par for a rating of 10? Highly unlikely. As DerAus pointed out, unless you are competing in Dog Brother meets or similar competitions, your school doesn't meet the requirements for a 10. Hell, my escrima school doesn't meet the qualifications to receive a 10 and weapons are our main focus.

The weapons rating isn't about how many weapons your school trains in or whether or not you use live blades. It's about how you train and spar with the weapons you do train.

Videos of you and your students sparring full-contact with weapons would clear this up.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast