Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 12:29pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Just watched the punch defense video that is accessible from the web page provided, the techniques shown are the same catch-a-fish-in-midair and twist and the opponent goes flying crap that everyone knows doesn't work. If these are the "deadly" techniques you're claiming I'm telling you they're absolute crap.

Yeah I watched them also....stuff like that makes me glad that I moved away from the study of hapkido.

Not that I didn't learn some good things in hapkido...some of which tranlated well to jiu-jitsu. I could have learned those same things in the jits from the beginning though.....grab my wrist!!!

Hapkido Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 3:57pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bashing someone's martial art proves your limited exposure to the world around you.

Quote Originally Posted by default
    Just watched the punch defense video that is accessible from the web page provided, the techniques shown are the same catch-a-fish-in-midair and twist and the opponent goes flying crap that everyone knows doesn't work. If these are the "deadly" techniques you're claiming I'm telling you they're absolute crap.
    I did Hapkido for a year or so, I couldn't believe how bad it was, didn't learn that until I picked up MMA and Judo. I'll never go back.
    1.) Those videos are for information purposes and some of them are for demonstrations to simply show the basics of what we do. It sounds like you went to a bad Hapkido school to begin with if you never learned this stuff the very first day on the mat. Those videos you saw are white belt techniques and not advanced or military type techniques. With actual applied technique, no on goes "flying", the arm breaks off at the joint and it's over. The attacker goes straight down, not out. The "flying" part is for safety purposes and the guys "flying" are(if you studied real hapkido) going with it to save the arm. They are called breakfalls. Of course you knew that.
    The very same techniques we teach have been practiced and tried on battlefields in Asia for thousands of years with great success. According to you and your small mindedness, they won't work on you? LOL

2.) You shouldn't talk about something you have never experienced specifically(such as our school or technique). Why don't you bring your happy little ego to my school and try me on for size? Until you have been to our school and trained with us, keep your general misconceptions about what Hapkido is to yourself my friend. Looks can be decieving. Have you seen the guy that broke his own leg kicking another guys shin in a kickboxing video? Doesn't look he was kicking all that hard, by the looks of it.
    But it broke his leg. Both bones in the shin were completely broken, both.

If you are in our local area, I invite you to come on down anytime and step on the mat to prove your statement. Until then, keep your general martial art bashing to yourself. You cannot say that Hapkido or any other MA doesn't work unless you have trained in every school of Hapkido there is on the planet. I have seen some really crappy MA schools, but I would never bash someone's MA or school because of one school or a video I saw on the internet. You have to feel the techniuqe for yourself. There are some really good schools out there that you may never see in your lifetime.

Come meet me in Atlanta this weekend (April 25 & 26, 2009)at the Granmaster Ji Han-Jae Seminar. I am sure he would love seeing me rip your arm out of joint to show you just how effective GOOD Hapkido really is. Why not, what do you have to lose? Private message me and I will give you the information.

Quote Originally Posted by thorthe_power
    Yeah I watched them also....stuff like that makes me glad that I moved away from the study of hapkido.
    Sounds like you also went to a bad Hapkido School. Ever been to a bad restaurant in one city while the very same named place in your hometown is really good? Same thing. You should also come to our school. I am having a seminar in June 2009. Check the website again for info and plan to attend. Step on the mat. I will change your mind about Hapkido. Promise.

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks have been used by Korean warriors on the battlefields for thousands of years?

Threatening to rip someone's shoulder because they call you on your BS?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 4:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, this is how you TMAers fail in these reviews.

1) You don't read rules.
    2) You get angry when someone tells you to change them in a respectful manner.
    3) You argue with people when it is unnecessary.
    4) Then you post basically lies.

Hapkido is new. No wait no. For arguments sake there are old techniques contained within Hapkido. Hapkido is not "battle tested." It is a new art that is redesigned for modern times. You don't know if the redesign is effective on the battlefield.

You are entitled to your opinion he is entitled to his.

TMAers always end up looking like douchebags in these reviews for the most part.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 4:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkiyoosool View Post
    The very same techniques we teach have been practiced and tried on battlefields in Asia for thousands of years with great success. According to you and your small mindedness, they won't work on you? LOL
    Completely, hoplogically incorrect.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 4:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without a comprehensive ground grappling program a la BJJ, SAMBO, Judo, etc, you cannot have a 7 in Grappling.

Without weapons combat a la the Dog Brothers, you cannot have a 10 in weapons.

Do you have video proof that you deserve either of these ratings?

Hapkido Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 5:31pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Completely, hoplogically incorrect.
    The name "Hapkido" is new. You are right. The techniques are not. The human body has not changed from two thousand years ago to today. The techniques work on the body the same now as they did then. Different name? Yes. According to history by students of Choi; Hapkido is from Choi Young-Sool who learned from Takeda Sokaku. My instructor started in that original school/style and started teaching in 1960. He has NOT changed anything to this day. Hapkido History Takeda taught Daito-Ryu-Aikijujutsu. A deadly martial art. Not a competitive sport. These types techniques are what we also teach. Non-competitive martial art. How do we know it works w/o going to competition? Check your history books. They worked then and they work now. I understand you want justification to my ratings. There are some. I also (being the only non-Korean guy in my school while living in Korea) have been in many street fights and have always used Hapkido. I also used in the military on several occasions when needed. It never failed me. I have practical knowledge that what I do works in real life outside the school.

As for the weapons ratings: Let me know if this is up to par. Sword (katana and wakizashi-meaning side arm), knife, spear, naginata, and staff (all of which we train with ie: live blade cutting, full power attacks with these weapons when you reach the proficency to defend against such attacks as the samurai did. They too were humans and had to train as we do). Our black belts do knife defense with live weapons as we did in Korea. I have great insurance, but at an expense. I also take my students to the range adn have them fire guns. "How can you expect to defend against a weapon you know nothing about?" I ask them. When you're being carjacked, you can't defend through a car door unless they reach in. If you are in a rough neighborhood, keep it in your lap. Be prepared! Just shoot them through the door if they are pointing a gun at you. It is justified in the USA. Florida Anyway. If they were going to kill you, they would have shot you already. Most of those guys shoot our of fear, also why some people attack. To prove themselves.

Let's talk about the grappling now. Grappling according to Webster's Dictionary.
    Grappling: verb
    Inflected Form(s): grapĚpled; grapĚpling \ˈgra-p(ə-)liŋ\
    Date: 1530
    transitive verb
    1 : to seize with or as if with a grapple
    2 : to come to grips with : wrestle
    3 : to bind closely
    intransitive verb

Britannica Encyclopedia

According to Webster's Dictionary. If someone is grabbing you, it IS a grapple. Standing or laying down, the human body does NOT change molecular form. Therefore my argument is such. We do exstensive grappling both on the ground and standing up with one thing in difference. We do not plan on staying on the ground. When there are mutilple atackers with edged weapons the last place you want to be is on the ground rolling around. Get back on your feet as quickly as you can to stay mobile and alive. Something we also learned in the miltary.

If after this you still have any questions, please ask. To the others. Do not speculate. Ask questions, I will give you an honest answer. ANYTHING you ask about the Hapkido I study. Not Hapkido in general. Just like in Karate, there are different styles of Hapkido as well. There is more than one way to do things but only on way to do it correctly, that's effectively.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 5:39pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you are making most of your information up as you go along. Hapkido has not been practiced for thousands of years in Asia. If you even bothered to wiki this you would know it. Do your own research before trying to pass this crap off on anyone. I doubt you are a hapkido instructor.
    If you bothered to look at my profile, I'm in Illinois, I can go to a local mcdojo around here and have someone tell me the same bs you're trying to.
    If you post a link with videos and they look like that, expect to have them ridiculed.
    After hearing your uneducated responses and total arrogance about your untested techniques there isn't a chance that I would go to any of your "seminars" for free.

I don't think you are an actual instructor, so I don't know why I'm arguing with you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 5:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The human body has not changed from two thousand years ago to today.
    Ignorant. Tell that to the athletes from 50 years ago.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <snip massive rant>
    wait a minute, didn't i say that you had to learn to use the terminology of the site? the kind of ground fighting that you are describing is not what is considered grappling here. call it a semantics battle, but if you can't put students into submission grappling tournaments and have them do well, you don't get to claim that you teach "grappling."

you've been a member since 2004, i really find it hard to believe that you are this naive about the way things work here.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast