Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:37pm

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that might be a novel idea. The funny thing is, that I live a street a way from his dojang. I could pretend to be interested and say I want to sit in and watch a class ot two. That might give me a chance to see what Cho is all about away from teachign college classes. Otherwise, I will just go with the flow.

The onegood thing out of that class are the stretches I learned.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto View Post
    Now that might be a novel idea. The funny thing is, that I live a street a way from his dojang. I could pretend to be interested and say I want to sit in and watch a class ot two. That might give me a chance to see what Cho is all about away from teachign college classes. Otherwise, I will just go with the flow.

The onegood thing out of that class are the stretches I learned.
    Tell him:

After listening to your critique and suggestions......

......I would like to participate in a free class or two to see how things are done here and decide if I want to change styles. Use the free classes and classroom experience and produce a nice write-up.

Read a few of the other "Investigatory Threads" to see a suggested style of class review and post it up.

Good luck and after all is said and done, enjoy your time.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am the only one who sees an ethical problem with Cho soliciting business while he is acting as a representitve of the University? That would be like a Molbio professor telling his students to use a new drug from a company whose board he sat on. Its wrong.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto View Post
    I meant correct as in that I reposted it intot he YMAS forum shortly before it was moved there from the other one.
    Oh. *stares blithely at the screen*

Did I mention I was an asshole?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    I am the only one who sees an ethical problem with Cho soliciting business while he is acting as a representitve of the University? That would be like a Molbio professor telling his students to use a new drug from a company whose board he sat on. Its wrong.
    Well, similar but different.

The University would "profit" from having one of their faculty rep the Uni as a board member.

In this case, it is pretty much expected for this clown to rep his school. I figure he probably is getting the University minimum in exchange for his weekly promotion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 2:17pm

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP

If you practice Shuri Ryu, I can't imagine your kicks looking anything like what a TKD instructor expects of his students. They are different philosophies of kicking. If YOU want to kick high, and kick often, then that is a personal choice of yours. But if your Shuri ryu is what I think it is, you should NOT be made to feel inadequate especially since your style intentionally has less, and lower kicks.

As a person who does karate and box, how do you find Master Cho's punching technique? His guard? Poor, okay, excellent? If poor or okay, did you have an overriding desire to recruit him to your boxing gym?

I'm not saying don't give the guy a chance. Just don't feel like you have to because he made you feel inadequate re: kicking.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brother today is your lucky day because I'm here to solve all your problems. There is a part of your body, between the legs and the torso, around the back, cleft in two. Take it to the nearest Muay Thai school. Thank me later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbemi View Post
    To the OP

If you practice Shuri Ryu, I can't imagine your kicks looking anything like what a TKD instructor expects of his students. They are different philosophies of kicking. If YOU want to kick high, and kick often, then that is a personal choice of yours. But if your Shuri ryu is what I think it is, you should NOT be made to feel inadequate especially since your style intentionally has less, and lower kicks.

As a person who does karate and box, how do you find Master Cho's punching technique? His guard? Poor, okay, excellent? If poor or okay, did you have an overriding desire to recruit him to your boxing gym?

I'm not saying don't give the guy a chance. Just don't feel like you have to because he made you feel inadequate re: kicking.
    I won't. And yep I do Shuri-ryu. The kicking is a bit different. And really I don't think my kicks are as bad as he made them out to be. I have small things that need corrected, which is why I'm getting help from a karate instructor that works at the gym where I box. He practices Shotokan, but he's not trying to take me away from my style. He wants to help make me better.

As for Master Cho's punches, I would say they're fine technique-wise, but he seems to like to do a lot of punch spinning backfirt or punch spinning kick combinations. That's all well and good for a tournament, but how about in real life? Are they even practical?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 5:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hang on..shuri ryu under grandmaster wendy dragonfire?
    aka...THE LESBO KARATE CULT?

you should read my threads about them.
    you dont learn **** at shuri ryu.

search function thread: lesbo karate cult, and read carefully.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 5:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    hang on..shuri ryu under grandmaster wendy dragonfire?
    aka...THE LESBO KARATE CULT?

you should read my threads about them.
    you dont learn **** at shuri ryu.

search function thread: lesbo karate cult, and read carefully.
    Wha? I study Shuri-ryu under Senseis Joe Wenger and Bill Malone. The way we do our Shuri-ryu is the way Robert Bowles and Roberta Trias-Kelley are instructing it at their schools.

I don't know anything about lesbo cults. Never even heard of it.

But personally, I like Shuri-ryu and my current school.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast