Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 11:38am

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Misadventures with Master Cho

...Or My Misadventures with Master Cho...

I don't know if this thread belongs in this forum, but I have to comment on this guy. I am a college student at Ohio University and signed upf or tae kwon do as a physical ellective amongst my other classes. It's taught by this guy called Mun-ho Cho. He also runs a tae kwon do school near my house.

Anyway, he's met me before and knows I do karate. Several times in the class he's got on my about my kicks. Granted, my kicking sucks I know. I'm trying to improve them. But today after class, he pulled me aside asking me about my school. He said you practiced karate for how long and what has it done for you (referring to my feet and hips nto turning enough when I kick). He also asked me why I pay $40 a month there and then $60 to box at another place and then went on about trying me to think about going to his school twice a week.

I told him I didn't agree with charging students a lump sum for belt testing. Then he went on saying he didn't think I udnerstand about belts nor real cirtificates. The fact is I do understand more than he realizes and I have a certificate from Shuri-ryu.

Right now I feel deeply insulted. If anyone should be to blame for my kicking, it's myself for not practicing with them as much as I should. I felt Master Cho had no right to insult my school when I was taking his class for college credit, not at his McDojang. I can't join a school that charegs an arm and a leg for testing. It goes against my principles, just as insulting a school in a college class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 11:45am

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karritto,

You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to train in more than one class/club, then your technique is open for critque. Even if it is from a guy like Cho. Take the comment witha grain of salt, and determine for yourself if your skills need adjustment or better coaching, etc. Sure, he is trying to rope you in as a student. You must not be that bad or he wouldn't be interested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Spirit View Post
    Karritto,

You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to train in more than one class/club, then your technique is open for critque. Even if it is from a guy like Cho. Take the comment witha grain of salt, and determine for yourself if your skills need adjustment or better coaching, etc. Sure, he is trying to rope you in as a student. You must not be that bad or he wouldn't be interested.
    I have. There is a karate sensei at the place I box. He's going to start working with me on my technique. But you may be right that I'm not all that bad. I tend to be my worst critic. Still, I'll try not to get so passionate with this guy.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 12:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is definitely the wrong forum. Are you investigating this man's martial art teaching practices? No?

Well then, you have insulted us by not bothering to read the forum descriptions. Anecdotes belong in YMAS. Full fledged investigations belong in this forum, MABS.

You've been here two years. That's long enough to read the forum descriptions.
    Last edited by jnp; 4/15/2009 12:02pm at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 12:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The man is trying to drum up business, pure and simple.

Bear in mind the mechanics of the techniques are going to be a bit different between your karate and his tae kwon do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This is definitely the wrong forum. Are you investigating this man's martial art teaching practices? No?

Well then, you have insulted us by not bothering to read the forum descriptions. Anecdotes belong in YMAS. Full fledged investigations belong in this forum, MABS.

You've been here two years. That's long enough to read the forum descriptions.
    I posted the thread in the correct forum. feel free to delete this.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 12:09pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to YMAS. If ever in doubt, YMAS.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:06pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the forum header:
    The official forum for Bullshido. SERIOUS discussion on McDojos, questionable Martial Artists, and Martial Arts History only. Help us fight fraud in the Martial Arts by contributing well-thought-out threads and ideas on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto View Post
    I posted the thread in the correct forum.
    I disagree. Your thread is fine, but it's not MABS material.

Quote Originally Posted by Karritto View Post
    feel free to delete this.
    Phrost doesn't do that, so we don't either.

Bear in mind, I'm an asshole about the rules here. That doesn't mean I'm wrong however. It just means I'm unintentionally a dick about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    From the forum header:

I disagree. Your thread is fine, but it's not MABS material.

Phrost doesn't do that, so we don't either.

Bear in mind, I'm an asshole about the rules here. That doesn't mean I'm wrong however. It just means I'm unintentionally a dick about it.
    I meant correct as in that I reposted it intot he YMAS forum shortly before it was moved there from the other one.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 1:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever have a situation where you inadvertently post in the wrong forum, Staff will move it to the appropriate forum, so no need to repost.

If you notice the mispost, click the "Report Post" icon and explain.

If someone else notices, they may click it for you.

If Staff notices, they will make it a point to inform you of the mistake to ensure it doesn't become habitual.

Back on topic:

Have the Karate guy critique your abilities and if you trust him, take his word and ride out the semester with the TKD guy.

Perhaps you can compile you class experience, visit his dojang and do a proper review on him and his school.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast