Posted On:
    12/10/2010 9:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tibetan gung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Templaraneous style

Quote Originally Posted by oldtyger View Post
    This is just my opinion. I pretty much agree with Jack Rusher. Temple Style seems to be BS. Since there is at least some documentation on the origins of the major styles of taijiquan, how can there be a Temple Style taijiquan from a different source that does the same forms( or at least almost the same forms)? In bagua there is at least 1 lineage I think that claimed a different source--pretty much that has been felt to be inaccurate.

Martial arts in general have relied on mythological origins to promote themselves. Taijiquan still has the Chang SanFeng myth for example. Often a school or teacher will have some sort of unique lineage to appear different from similar arts but these lineages are often completely undocumented. It seems evident that some teachers lie about their lineages--but that does not mean they do not have skill. However, personally I always get turned off if I hear about someone lying about the history. Kinda like "Seven Years in Tibet." Pretty good movie until you find out the main character( and author of the book) lied and was really a Nazi.
    I concur with you in many respects. There does exist a 'Temple Style' within the Yang Tai Chi system. It is difficult to learn, consists of much grappling and breaking technique, and is a form of conditioning. Ni Hwa-Jing did a version of it in his school. The leading exponent in the Chicago area was at one time Ho Chi Kwan. He has probably passed on. 'Temple Style' is more commonly referred to as Mi Chuan or Chang Chuan Yang Tai Chi Chuan. The lineage traces back to the 'Ho' style (aka He, Hu, Ha style), from which Wu Style also originates. Yang Ban Hou was the major exponent of this Yang family style that was not taught to outsiders. The popular Yang style was developed to teach the emperor's court a simple, health oriented style of Tai Chi (In the words of Yang Lu Chan- "The purpose of Tai Chi is to heal the nation.") The form is composed of 360 techniques and 1048 actions. It is designed to condition. There are eight basic pre-conditioning movements that can be trained before doing the form. The form is old style training before the 'Nei Jia' split into the three sisters-Tai Chi, Hsing I, and Pakua. Similar to Lio He Ba Fa, it contains all three sisters. The training is real, it has just been mis-represented. I began this form of training in 1989, after years of hearing about it, and like many, I thought it was a myth. It turned out to be real. :thumbsup: My teacher was Yang Shr Lin, a true master of the Five Excellences. He was taught by Wang Nen-Nien, who in turn learned from Jang Jing Ling, who was trained by Yang Ban Hou and Monk Tzo. I was impressed with the video of the Wudang Monk. His frame was impressive and his form looks like a version of Wu Style ('Ho' Style).
    Last edited by yeticrane; 12/10/2010 9:29am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2010 6:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yeticrane View Post
    I concur with you in many respects. There does exist a 'Temple Style' within the Yang Tai Chi system. It is difficult to learn, consists of much grappling and breaking technique, and is a form of conditioning. Ni Hwa-Jing did a version of it in his school. The leading exponent in the Chicago area was at one time Ho Chi Kwan. He has probably passed on. 'Temple Style' is more commonly referred to as Mi Chuan or Chang Chuan Yang Tai Chi Chuan. The lineage traces back to the 'Ho' style (aka He, Hu, Ha style), from which Wu Style also originates. Yang Ban Hou was the major exponent of this Yang family style that was not taught to outsiders. The popular Yang style was developed to teach the emperor's court a simple, health oriented style of Tai Chi (In the words of Yang Lu Chan- "The purpose of Tai Chi is to heal the nation.") The form is composed of 360 techniques and 1048 actions. It is designed to condition. There are eight basic pre-conditioning movements that can be trained before doing the form. The form is old style training before the 'Nei Jia' split into the three sisters-Tai Chi, Hsing I, and Pakua. Similar to Lio He Ba Fa, it contains all three sisters. The training is real, it has just been mis-represented. I began this form of training in 1989, after years of hearing about it, and like many, I thought it was a myth. It turned out to be real. :thumbsup: My teacher was Yang Shr Lin, a true master of the Five Excellences. He was taught by Wang Nen-Nien, who in turn learned from Jang Jing Ling, who was trained by Yang Ban Hou and Monk Tzo. I was impressed with the video of the Wudang Monk. His frame was impressive and his form looks like a version of Wu Style ('Ho' Style).
    Hi again.

Notice how everyone provided videos and sources to their suggestions and claims? Please do the same.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123