Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 8:04pm

Style: Wrestling, WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfucius
    how many of you actually take bak mei?
    I trained in bak Mei for a year. My old WC instructor was certified to teach WC by Eddie Chong, and he also learned Bak Mei at the time. He passed on what he learned to his students.

I found Bak Mei to be a much more savage than WC, and I found that the techniques were an outstanding compliment to WC. Also, I've often found the footwork of WC to be very limiting, and my training in Bak Mei solved a lot of problems that I found with WC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 8:12pm

Style: Internal

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm, good points. I was wondering though. Do you suppose that the other students/collaborators were friends/students of Pak Meis'?

This is just supposition and I use the word collaborator because it is kinder than the other and to be honest, having never been placed in the position he/they was in, I can not take any kind of moral high ground on the matter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 9:18pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

answer to w.c. and epigram

l have read over the years from historians rather than martial artists. they way it read was guite different in some cases. l think historians in most cases are more truthfull as they have nothing to prove. history is allways interesting l think . particularly when its about something you are interested in. chinese history is very interesting because theres still old manuscripts still exsisting. but pertaining to martial arts it has changed a lot in the last 40plus years. what l was told about w.c. and pak mei was that ng mui was trying to teach yim wing chun whats now called pak mei. she found it to hard so the original three forms were put to-gether like a series of self defence moves . there highest set is similar to ours. l stared to learn it from a freind but l foundit to have little movement. l learned pak mei for a lot of reasons for myself. one was its praticality, two at the time there were no teachers in the open then. so it hadnt been changed as my sifus sifu learned from cheung lai cheun . and he is a helluva fighter . (seen him in action in a real battle .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 9:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

history

sorry l didnt amswer a question. l have no idea if they were all freinds that were collaboraters . from some stuff it appears that they all conspired to over come the manchus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 10:43pm

Style: Poison Pen-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr Lee...your replies have been great so far...

If you don't mind me asking a question, with regards to CMA, what style would pakmei have the hardest time fighting?

And also, what is your personal opinion about the fighting ability of taichi?

Thanks a bundle!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

cinepek

well l did wu tai chi fist. it was done as a martial art. it was a long time ago but l remember that after haveing two teachers who were excelant . years of practice l came to the conclusion that it was best for a big man. this because it has a lot of close in movements that require weight . if you look at the fighters than were produced in the old days they are big men. plus in a fight the most dangerous is not one whos totaly defensive. in a fight the winner if all things are equal , the winner would be the first to make a mistake . by equal l mean skill , power and speed as well as experience in battle. what do l think has more power well l dont do tai chi anymore. l am a old guy but l still believe that moving slow only is so good. just makes one old before your time. the way muscles work is if you work hard slowly the fibres are reacting in small bunches. if you move fast it gets so the fibres now fire in large groupes fast. this means if traing properly that we dont have to get slow and rickety in our 60s and 70s. slow is good to learn a move, but not for ever . if you are used to moveing slowly only you wont all of a sudden speed up becuse your in trouble . why because the muscles memory has it going slow. whereby clc still practiced until sickness took him . but he was in his 80s when he died. l have a freind hes in his late 70s and he still can move quick. l know another whos father raced vintage motorcycles in his 70s . in h.k. theres tai chi , one was run by a teacher named chen if you didnt want to fight hed send you to a park to do old mans excersice. the slow forms you see here. pak mei pushes for speed and ging at the beginning when your my age its no big deal. l can still do set s fast with out stopping because l get speed , areobics, and my muscles get work . so l dont need to diet, or use high blood pressure medicine . or any other problems that guys my age usually have. if the body isnt challenged it will start to speed up its deterioration rate.sorry but some arts l think are overated in certian areas. and tai chim is one of them. l dont knock it for someone whos never been very physical but for a young person well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see...

What are the things that one should consider when deciding what style to pick up, in your opinion?

I mean, as you have stated, it seems that in your opinion, taichi is good for people who aren't too physical and have an advantage in size...

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 11:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

cinepek

well wow . first tai chi here is sometimes only taught like you would a beginner. very few really know how to use it in a free way. personaly a style would be dependant on what a person wants from it. if its self defence.then one where you do actually get to learn how properly . not worry about ranking systems, or any grand names. super grandmaster teaches blah blah . also your own personality has much to do with what you pick. pak mei has fire. if you have no heart for it then nothing works . except a 38 special . l have seen fighters who were technicaly correct but no heart. so one should pick the one that you feel inside . the one that makes a rush when you do it. l have always done things that gave me a rush . raced cars , motorcycles, stuff that gave me a rush . not everybody is like that . but if your not that way inclined you can still find one that gets to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good points there...

Another question if I may,
    What art have you seen that you personally think complements pakmei the most?

I've heard a lot of people say wing chun..

Am quite interested in pakmei, can't find anyone in malaysia who knows about it though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 11:48pm

Style: Internal

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what do you think of the other internal arts? Hsing-I, Ba Gua, Lui He Ba Fa?, Yi Quan, Blahblahblah...

Btw, its a very good point about Tai Chi that many dont realise, its an art for people built like refrigerators.
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast