Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh one more thing... i expect that a good deal of the discussion will come directly from the results of the sparring... i.e. "please explain how you pulled THAT off."

with that in mind i don't want to have a "seminar" section and a "sparring" section.

i think we will do some warming up, start talking about some topics, that will lead into some sparring, then more talk (while others are sparring) then demonstations of techniques, and back to sparring... for instance i am looking forward to explain how certain TCMA fighting philosophies apply to the ground game, and i think jaychiu is interested in discussing it with me and then we can roll and see how it works in action. no ego, just learning from each other.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 9:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    works for me.

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 11:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok so got off the phone with fighthouse...

we are confirmed for oct 17th 12noon-3pm (if we are "nice" and there is anyone else there working out, we may be able to stay longer)

possible rates:

$20/head for the whole 3 hrs (this would only make sense if there are only 3 of us)

or

$25/hr for up to 8 people (so $75 divided by the number of people) if more than 8 people come it will be an additional $5/head

this going to be more money than i thought but it still seems worth it to me.

info about the space:

http://www.fighthouse.com

122 w.27th street 2nd floor (between 6th & 7th ave.) 212-807-9202 close to subway (A/C/E/F/N/R/1/9) and close to penn station
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should we post some stats and skill/training levels? Might make it easier to match up. I'll start:

I'm 35 years old (stressing the word OLD), 6'0" and about 225llb. (not muscle - all beer!)

Been doing this SBGi thing for about a year and a half so I feel like I'm more of a beginner in BJJ, clinch and standup than anything. Played around in a few other styles but they were all McDojo's for the most part.

Willing to spar lightly with just about everybody, Maybe a little harder if it's just sub wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 3:32pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im 25 years old, 54, 158lbs. The short and stocky type. Ive been doing Ryukyu Kempo for a little over 8 years now. I used to wrestle in high school and I have attended seminars in a few other arts (Modern Arnis, BJJ, Penjak Silat, and Tai Chi).

Im more of a stand up fighter but I am no stranger to the ground based on my wrestling experience and Tegumi (Okinawan ground fighting similar to BJJ). Although I feel I am a better in fighter/clincher than anything.

I wouldnt mind doing stand up or ground or a combination of both.

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 1:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    33 years old, 5'7" 145lbs (139lbs last time i cut weight)

did 4 years of high school fencing (sabre, captain of the team, went to the junior olympics), worked out with the wrestling team 1 season in high school, and did a year of tai chi.

other than that i have been training in hung ga with the same sifu for the last 7 years (with 1.5 years off when i lived in cali.)

i have way more experience with stand up, but have been working hard on throws and submission grappling for the last year.

i'm down to spar light or medium with anyone who shows up in standup/clinch/ground or any combo of them. i also do own a gi, so if anyone wants to grapple with gi on i would love to get the experience (although i will get tapped right away since i almost never practice gi stuff.)

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 9:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No good at Gi huh? I'll bring my Gi then.... :D

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Date is tough for me, If I can get there

44 6'3" 245 RYUKYU KEMPO two years then a break six years since starting again, JUJITSU, ARNIS, ISSHINRYU.

Light to medium sparring , I do not do enough ground so I would like to roll and learn.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 26, 5'6" 205lbs, I did Jiu-Jistu for like 3 years 12 years ago, Karate for 7 months, Boxing for a little over a month. I really don't think I have alot to offer teaching wise but I'm going to really to learn. Also the guys that took Arnis where did you go for that I'm looking for a place on the Island but really haven't found a place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 12:00pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a place in Massapequa that is really good. Guru Andy is one of Remey Praesas' better students. Very combat oriented and full contact fighting with arnis sticks like the Dog Brothers. I wish I knew his last name but it escapes me. small place but definetly high end instruction. Attended a seminar that he conducted and was totally impressed with his fighting ability. He also teaches kickboxing and one of his students is either a light weight or middle weight champion.
    Last edited by Raul Perez; 9/15/2004 2:01pm at .
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast