Easily Distracted by Food.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Matt Thorton seminar is open for all. If you, or anyone, wants more information on it please contact: bigsean@combativesolutions.com. He's organzing the event and he's a pretty cool guy.

The 17th works better for me. I don't think anyone will get hurt in Boston or the nYc Throwdown. (but accidents do happen) It's not "fight club" and it's not a competition (but Boston is having a BJJ tourney) - it just training (HARD) and sharing ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2004 2:25am

Style: bjj/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    out of the country on the 17th, hopefully going to Matt's seminar (to crush jaychiu!) on the 24th.

solves problems with violence

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/04/2004 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok well seems like more people can make the 17th, so i will call fight house on tuesday (after the long weekend) and book that date.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so there are only 3 people coming besides me? i can try to get some of the guys i train with to come, but it'll be hard to get them to come if only a couple other people are coming (we can spar each other anytime without renting space.)

what happend to some of the original posters on this topic? jenfucius? gojuJKDdude? DJeter1234? MaverickZ?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 11:08am

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could see if others want to join from my gym.

Dorkus Malorkus

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going

Easily Distracted by Food.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 2:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I can make it and I can see who else from my class would like to attend.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2004 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
    so there are only 3 people coming besides me? i can try to get some of the guys i train with to come, but it'll be hard to get them to come if only a couple other people are coming (we can spar each other anytime without renting space.)

what happend to some of the original posters on this topic? jenfucius? gojuJKDdude? DJeter1234? MaverickZ?
    I should be there, so long as I get some good directions :) someone who is motivated should PM those mentioned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 3:29pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Guys,

It was mentioned before that maybe we should have some sort of a syllabus for this throwdown. Being that there are different people coming from different MA backgrounds we should break it up between stand up and ground.

The people from stand up arts should cover some techniques be it evasion, combinations, clinch, joint locks and takedowns/throws from a standing position.

The people from ground fighting arts should cover some techniques that pertain to clinch, takedowns, joint locks, chokes… etc from the ground.

The people involved in MMA can give input in either category.

I suggest that if you want to be the one doing the demonstration/fighting technique (be it stand up and/or ground) state it here and what you would like to cover.

Maybe split the day between stand up and ground and at the end have a sparring session of some sorts.

Personally my system does have ground elements but not as strong as BJJ, Judo, or MMA. Those of you wanting to cover the ground aspect I would like to cover escaping from the guard and mount reversals as well as passing the guard. Those are the areas I feel my system is the most weakest at with regards to ground work.

Kind regards,

Raul

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 5:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok so, i called fighthouse again (after waiting a week to hear back from them.)

we can get the space on oct 17 from 12noon-3pm. there will be enough mats for us to have 2 "rings" going at any time (however to get video of both, someone else will need to bring a video camera, as i have only 1)

i got one quote for the space which was $20 per person. on one hand this would be good since it protects me in case very few people show up (i am putting up the cash for this.) if 10 or 15 people show up then it seems like a lot to pay. would that price make this impossible for those who want to go?

i am waiting for them to call me back about a single rate regardless of how many come... it might be a better deal if we really get a good sized group.

as far as a syllabus goes, it's cool if people want to post about things they want to share ahead of time, but i see it as being very informal. i'm not going to stand on a soapbox and "teach" i just want to exchange some ideas (both on and off the mat.)

we only have 3 hours... i hope we spend a good portion of it sparring.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast