Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2004 4:26pm

Style: Free

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the Sports Complex, where the Exercise Room is does check IDs (atleast on the weekends). Contrary to what my fellow SBUer said, the school is paranoid of outisders unless they pay $$$$. I tried to start a Vale Tudo training club last semester and it failed. There's a lack of leadership and committment on campus it seems. That and theres always a big problem with the people you may want to attract. You don't want to attract pugnacious peeps who thinks its just a Fight Club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2004 4:31pm

Style: Free

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a hybrid boxing class there on campus last year but Alex, the guy who taught, has alot of schoolwork. There was a wrestling club as of last semestre but they may be defunct. I do roll with from time to time BJJ and Judo guys who have done NAGA and Grappler's Quest (guess whose the guy who always gets tapped out?), and hang out with guys who do Escrima. Straight Blast Ronin Athletic at Fighthouse now has their own website, http://www.roninathletics.com/. Another good place to train in NYC is of course this place, http://www.renzogracie.com/. I have been to both and feel that they are NYC's best $ for $ for Functional JKD and BJJ, respectively.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2004 6:32pm

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ujoipuj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2004 6:34pm

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lve like 15 minutes from StonyBrook. If you reschedule one make sure someone emails me.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yah, i'll probably be down for a NY one, i live only like 3 hours away in Baltimore.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/10/2004 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by jaychiu
    Why not in NYC? Why out in Long Island? Fighthouse rents space pretty cheaply...
    did all interest in this die out?

i would be down to chip in some money to rent space at fighthouse.

i enjoy these forums but seems to me that throwdowns are what this is really all about and i really want to take part in one. i'll go to boston in october if i have to but i would prefer not to have to travel that far.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will there ever be a New York Throwdown? And how does it work is it full contact. Do people just go to toss beatings around or we pretending to actually learn something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 12:35pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm down. Been trying to get a regular sparring partner from Long Island for the longest time.

If anyone is interested email me at Perra07@ca.com

Otherwise let me know when this damn Throwdown is and when.

Kind regards,

Raul

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok since none of the originators of this post seem to want to speak up... i'll start the ball rolling again.

i'm pretty sure i could get a space for a few hours on a sunday afternoon (say 2:30-5 or so) for free.

we would all have to sign waivers that we won't sue the place if we get hurt, yadda yadda.

there are floor mats. there is a grappling dummy as well in case no one is willing to be the victem for a demo.

i believe the typical format is informal with demonstrations discussions, drilling and sparring (the people sparring set the rules they want to follow and the amount of force they want to use.) it's just a way for us to get together and share our ideas in a no-bullshit scenario.

lets pick a day that isn't during the boston throwdown in october and i will make sure i can get the space.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 1:21pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good where is the space located?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast