Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    I'm curious as to why you're so seemingly upset about a restricted to military or police subforum VN?
    Expressing curiosity, about duplication of already-extant resources, equals seeming "upset"?

I did not know that.

Thanks for the clarification.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    While it's a good idea in principle, the problem is that it's NOT secure by any means and it really wouldn't take much for someone who has some basic skills and motivation to access the content. Once you get guys alone and thinking they have some privacy, things will be disused that should not be on the net.

I would vote instead for an open Mil/LEO sub-forum of the armory that is moderated a-la DHS. Guys who are posting will remember where they are and maintain situational awareness and people who can't follow directions will be banned from it.

If you have real issues that you need to talk about with someone who has been there and "understands", it's time to go grab a beer with your buddies, not rely on the internet.

My $0.02

(Oh and just so you know where I am coming from, while I never bothered to get a tag, I am an ex-mil guy and I do get where you're coming from with this)
    This sounds like a good idea.

Heavy moderation and open to all.

I haven't seen my DD214 in at least 20 years and couldn't be bothered to try and find it for a tag.

Infidel

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:32pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Expressing curiosity, about duplication of already-extant resources, equals seeming "upset"?

I did not know that.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Why not go one better? Once the military/LEO-only subforum has been established, all other subforums can specifically exclude military/LEOs.

EDIT:...unless, of course, those wishing to join the other subforums PM proof to the mods, which will allow them to participate and net them a nice "civilian" tag. We get far too much "civilians-suck" stuff as it is, from people who don't have a clue what that kind of life is like...

PROOF of "civilian experience" is required. PM this to the mods or you don't get to climb up into the "civvies-only tree-fort". Exclusivity demands maintenance of standards, dontcha know...

Actually, come to think of it, why limit this "exclusion" business to one or two professions? I've been professionally involved in use-of-force on combative individuals for longer than some uniformed pers. have even been alive--and without the benefits of the tools they can carry on the job. Why not a "bouncers-only subforum"?

No need to stop there. No discussions of any MA whatsoever by those who cannot prove that they practise the MA in question--separate, totally-exclusive subforums for each and every MA. Also, let us not forget those involved in dealing with the repercussions of force used. An exclusive subforum open only to lawyers. Another one for paramedics. One for reconstructive surgeons. And so on...

This could be the start of something which, I'm sure, exists NOWHERE else on the Web...so no snarky troll-comments about "redundant", "reinventing the wheel" or any other such noise...'kay?
    True: nobody would want those who face danger in the real world to "feel insecure and uncomfortable" in cybergard. Anyway...

Want a cost-effective way to get the military/LEO treefort up 'n' pure?

Moderate the "Armory" subforum somewhat like the "DHS" subforum used to be moderated. Any ignoroid comments or "uniforms-suck" sloganeering would result in deletion of such posts and a subforum-permaban of those who posted them.

Or you could go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel--a "uniforms-only" forum within BSD...to add to those like it which already exist elsewhere on the web.

Whichever, y'know, makes more sense...
    ...which is why forums, outside of the martial-art-debunking site known as Bullshido, exist. Not that anyone has suggested another exclusive discussion board just like them can't be replicated on BSD--that's between the interested parties and the site owner--just...if they already exist elsewhere, why not just sign on to one of those? Seems to work for Milwaukee Cop.
    That...or join one or more of the forums already in existence, elsewhere on the web, where access is restricted. Why reinvent the wheel?
    Maybe I just took the tone of your posts wrong. Still, seems a bit more than curiosity on your part.
    You keep mentioning reinventing the wheel.
    It just struck me as odd that some who participates so little in the armoury would be so concerned about what's going on there.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I just took the tone of your posts wrong. Still, seems a bit more than curiosity on your part.
    You keep mentioning reinventing the wheel.
    It just struck me as odd that some who participates so little in the armoury would be so concerned about what's going on there.
    I was thinking the same thing, actually. The other possibility, of course, being that Mr. Normand just wants to have the last word.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:54pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know where you guys are with this, but I hope whatever you decide addresses the fact that this is an international forum. If part of the rationale here is talking about deployments or military activities in real time, remember some of the people with military tags are from other forces.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 3:01pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I don't know where you guys are with this, but I hope whatever you decide addresses the fact that this is an international forum. If part of the rationale here is talking about deployments or military activities in real time, remember some of the people with military tags are from other forces.
    That was certainly not what I had in mind. OPSEC is pretty important to me.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other voices have expressed all sorts of opinions on the subforum idea. Why would you care what mine might be?

...or are you just being curious?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post

Very good point! I didn't even think about that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: american kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to think the DHS model of heavy moderation is probably the best place to start. This would prevent thread shittery on the one hand and on the other hand limit a false sense of security since a determined enough person can find a way to get access to things that should possibly have not been said online. You have to remember that virtually anything on the net can be dug up to bite you in the ass with enough effort and that some touchyer subjects might best be left offline and talked about with others who have been there at your local VFW or FOP meeting hall with folks you know personally.

For an additionall layer of protection however I would say it should be semipublic much like the BBC (now VIP lounge). LEO and military tags admitted and after that sponsors and supporting members. The the two groups the forum is really for get in paying or not. This way you will have some level of restriction from passersby such as media personel since anyone involved has to either prove the LEO Military status or fill out the forms and play up for the site.

This iron fist modded subforum that is only open to its intended audiance and paying members would allow alot of control and the same time allow interested and respectfull parties to gain a better undertanding of these issues from people who have proven they know what they are talking about.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 3:26am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question, if I join the Cuban People's Army, can I get in on this party too? How about Sendero Luminosa? EPR? What if i'm a "contractor"?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast