224944 Bullies, 4034 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 1:43pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idea has merit but I'd like to fully flesh it out, turn it around, and look at it from as many angles before we do anything. It's generally better to have fewer forums than more, even if opportunities exist for specialized topics. The more people you can digitally cram into a room (forum), the more active the discussion.

A few questions:

Do we need to look at the moderation policies of The Armory? Would doing so meet the needs here, or is the primary concern a more private forum?

Would it be read-only to non-members, or no access at all? If that's the case, how will we get the word out about it to encourage participation there?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The idea has merit but I'd like to fully flesh it out, turn it around, and look at it from as many angles before we do anything. It's generally better to have fewer forums than more, even if opportunities exist for specialized topics. The more people you can digitally cram into a room (forum), the more active the discussion.

A few questions:

Do we need to look at the moderation policies of The Armory? Would doing so meet the needs here, or is the primary concern a more private forum?

Would it be read-only to non-members, or no access at all? If that's the case, how will we get the word out about it to encourage participation there?

Well...I'm for the idea, however...if you're going to be talking about tactics, training, weaponry, blah blah blah...you should probably restrict it from sight...because as we all know; there are bazillions of the "cops suck" types out there and we certainly have our fair share here. You could restrict it to active/retired LE, military, and forum moderators/admins (as a lot of sites do). You could incorporate areas with "Range Tests" (forum members introducing a new gun, how it shoots, blah blah blah), "New Guns/Gear", "Training Opportunities", "Training Reviews", and stuff like that. Of course...an area with upcoming legislation and crap like that would also be good. The problem lies in....how many people here would actually qualify to participate in the forum. Honestly...how many cops/soldiers do we have here and would such a number justify the creation of a specialized forum "just for them."

Being the "Site Leonidas", you could certainly do whatever you want to do...and the size certainly wouldn't be a consideration if it's what you really want. Hell...you could open it up to the public---just not allow non-military/cops to post there. Just some thoughts...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 5:12pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Well...I'm for the idea, however...if you're going to be talking about tactics, training, weaponry, You could incorporate areas with "Range Tests" (forum members introducing a new gun, how it shoots, blah blah blah), "New Guns/Gear", "Training Opportunities", "Training Reviews", and stuff like that. Of course...an area with upcoming legislation and crap like that would also be good.
    Aren't the above topics the reason for the Armory forum?

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 6:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't mind an invite only subforum, since what I can post on the public bullshido forums is so restricted.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 7:00pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a good idea to me. Presumably reservists who don't necessarily meet the requirements for a military tag would be eligible right? Pretty please?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am for the idea, although I do see the concern over the amount of individuals who would be able to use it. I know that having an area where you know you are trading thoughts with people who have a similar perspective and know where you are coming from would would lead to interesting conversations.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the idea of being able to talk about issues that only we understand. I know that there is stuff I can say to LEOs and military that civilians that have never been there will not be able to understand. Stuff that would be very politically incorrect. You know the type.

Also talking about tactics and philosophies that shouldn't be common knowledge. I see both sides but the easy way to let people know about it would be by PM. You know if someone had a specific issue, then they could be brought in on the discussion. Interesting idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 7:59pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also like the idea of a private forum. Obviously there's material we couldn't discuss even on a private forum, but as far as the finer points of tactics and training...yeah, it could be good.

Anyone with a Mil or LEO tag would be automatically in, anyone else would have to be vouched for or have some sort of need-to-know.

Infidel

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 9:00pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Phrost, thanks for considering the idea. I now there is a lot of stuff to chew on and reverse engineer but there seems to be quite a bit of positive feedback so far.

Do we need to look at the moderation policies of The Armoury? Would doing so meet the needs here, or is the primary concern a more private forum?
    As far as the concept of the sub forum goes no I don't think stricter moderation would matter.

The idea is for the forum to be Military and Law Enforcement only and not accessible by the public even as a read only forum.

A place where we can (within opsec) discuss what's going in Afghanistan, Iraq and on the mean streets back home at a soldier/beat cop? level without trolls and more importantly the media having a crack at it.

If that's the case, how will we get the word out about it to encourage participation there
    There is probably a couple dozen eligible people currently on bullshido, that may be a good base.
    Have the forum link in public view but unable to be accessed unless they are a member of the user group. As new members join bullshido and self identify as LEO/Military whoever is moderating the sub forum could send them a PM, let them know about it and offer them an invite.

If it's not getting enough traffic in a week or month it could easily (I assume) be shut down.

I've seen it done at other forums and the concept seems to work pretty well. Usually there is an issue with people thinking the public forum (in this case the armoury) would become a ghost town but in the other cases it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy View Post
    Seems like a good idea to me. Presumably reservists who don't necessarily meet the requirements for a military tag would be eligible right? Pretty please?
    Good question.
    As far as I'd be concerned about the forum (if asked, obviously not a mod) reservists are dying along side their full time counterparts overseas so if they can verify their in the service why not?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 9:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    (within opsec)
    Oh the Horrors of being an OG OPSEC coordinator.

Lt. Col Artard :Why cant I say X on a clear frequency Airmen Trek, its not classified...

Me: *Facepalm*
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast