Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Shnizzletodawizzle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Working with the criminally insane

I’m wondering what MA(s) people who do that tend to study? Or what professional training they get?

The reason I ask is because you would think that the “guards” or whatever they are called could get attacked at any time for no reason and that the person attacking them will not respond to normal words or pain. Violently insane people can be immune to pain, exhibit incredible strength, have nothing preventing them from biting/gouging whatever.

I wonder how people who work in places like that deal with it all? I know they have restraints and drugs etc.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 3:30pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the woman who used to come to my gym who was a correctional officer had approx. ... ZERO training in anything but pushing a panic button.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I’m not really talking about prison guards. More so people that work with the dangerous cases in mental institutions.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most of those ppl are patients, strapped and drugged up. From a friend of mine, he says he just deals with it and goes in in groups to pull ppl out.
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that they act a lot like bouncers...5 on 1...except they also have sedatives.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 3:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah..its a surviabilty issue..not balls. 5 on 1 is generally effective. But I've noticed a lot that many( not all)ppl in high risk profession seem to do less self defense training(factors like stress of the job itself, stress of personal life, lack of time and fatique for a few). "Packs" are less risky so they tend to use them a lot.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds boring. I think they must have had more fun in the old days when they had the large nets.
  8. DRD

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greg, I have spent a bunch of time in state hospitals and it depends on what part of the hospital they work in. If it is a commons area, they depend primarily on overwhelming numbers, room lock downs, and threatening of removal of privilege. I am not aware of any formal training that was used to prepare them for hands on work.

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 4:11pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the patient groups I take care is the staff of a state psychiatric/neurologic institution. They have had a big influx of patients being sent there rather that prison now do to changes in the law. They do get some formal training restraints. Unfortunately many of them are not physically up to the task and frequently get injured sometimes badly.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 4:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most training ppl get in these jobs is stuff they go and search out on their own to aqquire. Jobs typicial don't sponser much in the way of self defense(Texas DOC only put correctional officer through 10 hours of SD..though that may have change..given prison funding though, I'm not sure) Special teams get more however. That why those factors I stated above come into play a lot. Ppl working in corrections and whackjob hospitals tend to be under more stress then the cops that bring in the criminals because they are constantly surrounded by them. It's pretty tiring work and usually undermanned. Cousin of mine who works in the prison set the ratio to 1 guard to 100 inmates. Most simply don't have the time for self defense class and try to learn on what they know and can pick up on the fly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast