I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bug-out bag: basics?

Hello and good day to all you service men/weekend warriors!

Sirc, here. Just dropping in to say hello. I had a question for all you folks out there though. See, recently I had an incident, which I will not speak about, wherein a good bug-out bag would've been a really great thing to have with me at the time.

I have one, but it's a zombie specific bag, so I don't know how applicable it is to non-zombie situations. I come to you to ask; "What do I need in a basic bug-out bag?"

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Water purification filters. Flashlights (self generating). Waterproof matches. Emegency candles. A good swiss army knife. A lighter. A compass. Maps. Self generating radio (should also be able to recharge your cellphone. $500.00 cash. A space blanket. Poncho and poncho liner. Duct tape. Parachute cord. A whistle. Collapsible camp stove, fuel.

grab before you go: Whatever canned/dryed food you have on hand. A small frying pan. An appropriate chane of clothing. Weapon.

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 6:22pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Filters are good, but take iodine tabs as well. Don't forget a first-aid kit with pressure bandages, a tourniquet, and rubbing alcohol. A snake bite kit may also be a good idea depending on where you live.

If it is a collapse-of-civilization-type incident, don't forget a rifle and sufficient ammo. An AR-15 is good due to the ease of finding spare parts and ammunition in North America, but an AK will serve you better because it requires less maintenance and is powerful enough to take most game. A shotgun can be substituted due to its effectiveness against zombies, but you will find yourself severely undergunned if it is a communist invasion you are concerned about. If you have a pistol take it, but it is only suitable as a backup.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
    I have one, but it's a zombie specific bag, so I don't know how applicable it is to non-zombie situations. I come to you to ask; "What do I need in a basic bug-out bag?"
    It would help to know why your zombie invasion bag was unsuitable to non-zombie invasion situations.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 6:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    It would help to know why your zombie invasion bag was unsuitable to non-zombie invasion situations.
    Well my zombie BoB is filled with things like hammer/nails, baseball bat, noise makers, various chems to make small flashes (i.e. zinc, magnesium, etc.) all of which are useless with non-zombie outbreak scenarios.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 6:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's parachute cord, poncho liner and is any kind of collapsible stove ok? Or a specific brand?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 10:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's parachute cord, poncho liner and is any kind of collapsible stove ok? Or a specific brand?
    Poncho liner I had issued to me:
    http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2...ncho-liner.jpg

Good for cold weather rain, doubles as a blanket and probably has other uses.

I would also add bungee cord to the list. Useful for various things like setting up a cot.

For first aid, you can save space by using Israeli emergency bandages:
    http://www.chinookmed.com/mas_assets/full/05131.jpg

Memory is fussy, but I believe it can be used as a regular dressing, pressure bandage, and tourniquet. Also it's somewhat easier to self-apply.
    Last edited by ArrogantBastard; 4/11/2009 10:37pm at .

Infidel

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 12:05am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disguise
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 2:00am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what follows are some ideas - obviously the solution is a bag with EVERYTHING in it, but you have to decide how big or small to make yours, based on your frame, your needs, your climate, and what transport you can reasonably expect. I can fit most of this **** in one beat up french (half -sized) duffel, or easily pack it on a horse, bike, or atv. I do mention a couple big items.

oh, on charging a cell or batteries, there are some decently priced folding solar panels now.

If you think you might be letting the bag sit, you should really think about packaging - ziplock bags, small tupperware containers (which can be an item on the list all by themselves)

extra glasses if you wear them, in a hard case.

chemlights.

chemical hand and sleeping bag warmers - these are great in your glovebox, too, if you think you might ever get stuck in a car in a winter storm or winter weather.

matches and a lighter, in dry containers

Pitch sticks and an aluminum/magnesium firestarter kit (there are keychain sized ones with a flint on one side that are about 5 bucks, this lets you start a fire with almost any kindling and almost any piece of metal) , in dry containers.

a multi-tool.

a tarp and a sleeping bag

powerbars

oats or oatmeal

binoculars

a slim-jim (for cars not the kind you snap into) if legal in your area

a hand cranked flashlight and a hand cranked radio

something to clean up water

a first aid kit

two 20 kilo kettlebells so that puny looters can't steal the bag

a field guide to the usable plants in your area, wrapped in plastic.

a small tool set - 10 sockets, a crescent wrench, and an allen set

socks

firearm and ammo - a .22LR pistol with a long barrel or a short .22 rifle are good choices, if portability is a concern or if you really want to pack the bag and forget it as a backup, if you have more space, 30-06, 12 and 20 gauge shotguns or a .243 - if you're gonna need the bag, you want the caliber to be common.

A local map and a national map, a compass.

Asprin.

A steeper.

A good heavy field tool like a hammer hatchet and a cheap field tool like a machete. A folding shovel.

A three-pack of sterno.

A mess kit.

micropore tape, electrical tape and electrical squeeze-splices.

a roll of twine, line, or string (already mentioned parachute cord is a good type)

fish hooks and fishing line

a pack of tooth brushes and a pack of toothpicks

if you don't have room for a whole portable stove, a wire grill can be a sub you just tie to your backpack - you can make a decent stove out of a coffee can and a round wire grill, believe it or not - just ventilate the can and knock out the bottom so you have a tube, knock a fist-sized opening in side along the rim, put this side down and toward you over a small fire, pile earth around the other sides, put the wire grill on the top of the tube - you now have an efficient, almost lightless and smokeless cooking apparatus. There are commercial versions that have better ventilation, but it's always good to know how to use trash.

I have actually cooked on a pop can over sterno before, it works, it works over coals too, but then you want a coffee can or so sized item.

along these lines - everyone should probably know how to make a rocket stove

CAN OPENERS seriously don't **** that up. MORE THAN ONE CAN OPENER. NOTE THE S.

a whetstone and some 3 in 1

some salt and pepper in good containers

a saw

a poncho

gloves - like a six pack of leather gloves and a winter pair

a hoody and some sweats in a gallon bag - dry clothes will save your narrow ass.

a roll of trash bags

toilet paper - great kindling and also a great comfort of civilization.

Femine products, if applicable.

a roll of mesh netting

a roll of tinfoil.

if you're really making a "**** society" bag you might also consider

seeds and a gardening book suited to your climate

some precious metals or stones

some books on DIY construction, plumbing, and medicine

reloading equipment and/or bullet casting equipment.

a frying pan, even a small one.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 3:57am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my zombie BoB is filled with things like hammer/nails, baseball bat, noise makers, various chems to make small flashes (i.e. zinc, magnesium, etc.) all of which are useless with non-zombie outbreak scenarios.
    I trust these are meant as distraction devices. The last thing you would want to do would be to call attention to yourself when there are zombies about.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast