Posted On:
    4/11/2009 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ABC does it again... gun control.

Anyone watch 20/20 last night?

Check it out, post your opinions, and then lets see if anyone noticed what I did....

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched it out of the corner of my eye. I can't remember specifics, but it seemed pretty anti-gun. No real surprise with ABC, unless Stossel would have done it.

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 3:05pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far the only reasonably balanced show on the issue was done by the National Geographic channel not to long ago. They were fairly impartial.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 3:29pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's too bad they went in with such an obvious slant. The stuff about peoples reactions in the simulations could have made a good show without the editorializing.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 3:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this sudden super-politicizing of this issue is pissing me off

why?

There are like six guns in my neighborhood gun store. Six. All of them Kahr .32s

No ammo. No reloading ****. Nada. FORGET about anything that's normally a little scarce. The only deagle or big 50 you're shooting around here are gonna be the ones in counter-strike.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 3:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    History lesson....

Over 20 years ago they took on ASR's (WCA's cs spray) and "proved" they would not work.

They gave the spray to women, and told them to walk in a parking lot. Then a big burly Policeman jumped out, and took the spray away.

EVERY policemen was wearing sunglasses and held his breath.

About 10 years ago a local reporter did the same silly thing. When I called him on the glasses he took them off.... it was very funny to watch him in agony as he said "Well... I... have... you..."

Once again last night, we used highly trained police officers to say "See, even if you have a gun you won't be able to get it out, and as you try, you will be killed."

The scam this time was the "shooters" ALL KNEW EXACTLY where the armed citizen was! They directed their fire to the person right after they shot the teacher.

In the real world, the bad guys don't have that knowledge.

There is no doubt that most people with a CCW have not trained correctly in getting the firearm out and using it under stress. There are courses for that, and people should take them.

But it was plain, ABC feels the only people who should have any kind of a weapon are the Police. There is a term for that, they call it, a Police State.

PS: I found it interesting they removed Stossel from last nights show, and replaced him with Diane Sawyer... but there is no agenda there.
    Last edited by Mtripp; 4/11/2009 3:47pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually kind of think it's a little too easy to get a CCW where I live. That's against dogma, I know, but seriously - the hunter's safety class I took 17 years ago , a class I barely remember that had no carry or pistol specific content, qualifies me for urban CC of a pistol? I think a weekend course in where you can and can't carry and a few draws and retentions, maybe a demonstration of the 20 foot line and some actual pistol shooting, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 4:16pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The argument against that is that the state shouldn't really be regulating whether or not you can carry in the first place. And while, yeah, it'd be great to magically keep idiots away from firearms, it won't make much difference either way and only allow Government to think we'll cave to regulation as long as it's couched properly.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 4:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe this is against SOP for the armory, but the thread title says it's about gun control
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I actually kind of think it's a little too easy to get a CCW where I live. That's against dogma...
    This is why gun control laws will always be fucked up and why I will probably never be a member of the NRA. Both sides are equally irrational about their positions. Gun laws end up being a compromise between what the gun nuts and anti-gun nuts are willing to compromise on and have little to do with actual safety or prevention of crime.

Of course I'm more than a little pissed off that I can't find ammo for my 9mm anywhere, which I blame on right-wing hysteria (ZOMG! the liberals are coming! buy all the gun **** you can before the liberals ban it all! ZOMGWTFBBQ the liberals! the liberalssssss!!!!!!!!!111one eleven) so it may color my opinion.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The argument against that is that the state shouldn't really be regulating whether or not you can carry in the first place. And while, yeah, it'd be great to magically keep idiots away from firearms, it won't make much difference either way and only allow Government to think we'll cave to regulation as long as it's couched properly.

well, this ain't really the thread for that I guess, but if our defense for owning guns is that we're allowed other dangerous objects, we should be prepared for the rejoinder that some permitting or training is required to own or operate those objects. I don't think it's unreasonable to make sure someone with a CCW actually knows how to operate a pistol and is actually versed in the terms of the CCW.

Actually, I have essentially a three step program for sensible gun ownership

1. A gun operators' liscense that clears you to operate any gun
    2. A well maintained national database of felons (against which to run those applying for number one
    3. greater liability for "lost" and "stolen" weapons, especially if you're getting "robbed" every six months.

The fact is, shooting down (heh) every argument by alluding to slippery slopes has probably done responsible gun ownership more harm than good.

Also, of course the language and practicality of the law -whether it's "couched properly" is of the essence - the idea that we as gun owners will reject a gun law even if it's smart, practical, and constitutionally correct reduces us to fundamentalists.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 4/11/2009 4:27pm at .
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast