Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 10:34pm

Style: Wrestling/BJJ/Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

new program help please

So after two month or so of doing two months of strong lifts basic 5x5
    im switching to this program my goals are size and strength i was just wondering what you guys thought. Im open to any suggestions but please remember my goals are size and strength. Im hoping to gain alot of weight and am eating alot of food.

Sets x Reps
    Day1
    Bench press bb 3x12
    skull crushers 2x20
    weighted pull ups 3x3-5
    curls 2x12
    shoulder press standing bb 3x12
    db Snatches 3x8
    Grip/ab work

Day 2
    Squat 3-5x3x5
    Good moorings 3x12
    Lunges 3x12
    Calf raises

Day 3
    Dips 3x3-5
    Bent over rows 3x8
    lateral raises 3x8
    shrugs 3x8
    upright rows 3x8
    Power overs 3x20

Day 4
    Dead lift 3x5
    squat 3x12-15
    leg curl 3x12
    leg extentions 3x12
    calf raises 3x12
    Abs/grip

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How are you arranging this routing throughout the week? What days are your rest days going to be on? Cardio?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 11:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on that routine, I believe you should stick with stronglifts 5x5.

Most people here will tell you to stay away from all those isolation exercises and stick to compound movements, which is what stronglifts is all about.

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 12:02am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Complicated weight programs scare me, stick to 5x5 and go up to the intermediate?
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 5:53am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will struggle to make any strength gains of this program, not enough recovery and too much volume. Size, well if you have good genetics and eat well you might make some gains of this program. My bet though is that you make no real size gains, just a slight increase from nurtrient loading, and that this program will have you spinning your wheels for a couple of months making no progress at all.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 5:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, ditch that program and try Stronglifts. You can get the info from the site but here's the routine fyi:

The StrongLifts 55 Program. StrongLifts 55 is a full body strength training program that includes weight lifting & body-weight exercises. These will work each muscle of your body and build a strong, proportionate physique.

Workout A

Squat 5x5

Bench Press 5x5

Inverted Rows 3xF

Push-ups 3xF

Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF
    Prone Bridges 3x30sec

Alternate workout A & B each session. Most people train Mo/We/Fr or Tu/Th/Su or Sa/Tu/Th. Always take at least 48 hours rest between 2 workouts. Alternate Pull-ups & Chin-ups each workout B.

Do 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight on all exercises. Deadlifts is only 1 set of 5 reps. Do 3 sets until failure on body-weight exercises: 3 sets of as many reps as you can do with good technique.
    Last edited by Asriel; 4/09/2009 6:00am at .
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are dead set on doing a different program despite people telling you to stick with the one you are doing you might like to give this one a try: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He tried StrongLifts 5x5 for two months.

nayr01, if you are going to be jumping from one program to the next every two instead of sticking to it for 4-6 months minimum (and sometimes 12 months), you are not going to get anywhere regardless of the program you want to use.

Now, if you are going to ditch StrongLifts to another program because your goals are size and strength, you better have a strong physical foundation already and you are ready to take it to the next level... and I hope you have come to this conclusion in an objective manner.

As for your new program, too much isolation and the split is not granular enough to allow you to work 4 days back to back. If you are intent in going for it, take a day of rest between your 2nd and 3rd workout days.

Also, ditch the skull crushers. Use tate presses, narrow grip bench presses or cable pull downs instead.

And do snatches at the beginning of your workout, not after.

-- edit --

Or if you want to try a 4-day workout plan, then use a Westside program like DeFranco's WS4SB. But put a day in between to rest. Don't try to workout 3-4 days back to back (not unless you are doing a bodybuilding program with a split granular enough to do so.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/09/2009 1:15pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 2:02pm

Style: Wrestling/BJJ/Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok ill stick to strong lifts for a few more months but instead of doing push ups i have been doing dips and instead of the body weight rows i have been doing db rows is this alright?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 3:39pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally think you should stick with the program if you're gonna be on it. That being said, I've certainly heard of worse substitutions than dips for pushups. I love the inverted rows though, definitely better in my mind than (bent-over I assume) dumbbell rows.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast