Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by LOVED2BLOVED
    some guy made a spin off of this art

http://www.hwarangdo.com/faq.htm
    look at the bottom

they say that he is corrupted and brought shame to the art
    GM De Alba is the man who you are referring to. I attend his seminars and train under him via correspondence. His system is a more evolved aspect of Hwarangdo. He covers many areas including ground fighting, knife fighting and fire arms training.

http://www.dsystem.com/index.htm

Check out the Images link and view video clips. They show some of the work he does. He continues to hold the traditional aspects of the martial arts, while bringing in real time training as well. You can't help but like a guy who will whip ass in the day time and then go out with you and have a good scotch and cigar in the evening. GM De Alba is a very humble and down to earth guy.

Personally I have seen Lee brothers and was not impressed with their hype. They are talented martial artists, but charge far too much money. A McDojo? No I wouldn't say that, but I would say that they are shrewd business men. Also, I don't care too much for their history as well as arrogant attitude towards their ex-students. If you can get to San Fransisco then check out GM De Alba's school.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    I think their silky sashes and forearm wraps are SO cool !!
    Next only to the Kuk Sol Won uniforms.
    you think they have a grey and black outfit to match my car...Totally cool!:rolleyes:
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From de Alba's bio:

-2003-Inducted us into the Order Of The Medieval Knights Of London
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More MA history bullshit. From my understanding, the original Hwa Rang Do was lost and restarted in the 1960's. But then people went "did you just make this stuff up?!" and he went "no! it's 5000 years old! but i invented it.......5000 years ago.......".

Never seen most of these Korean MA's (other than TKD and Hapkido from my buddies) so can't say if they are actually funtional. But just cuz you have BS history stories and fanciful tales doesn't always mean it's bullshido, although it is definitely signs of it.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be nice to have a true Flower Boy (Hwa Rang) on the boards to clear some of this up. I'm curious myself.

Cult Fro'

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Gracie Barra JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this guy has a blog and tells people about his art that he studies

http://www.toccionline.com/photogall...78_Hwa_Rang_Do

go here to see his uniforms and some flashy kicks and grapppling
    Last edited by LOVED2BLOVED; 1/12/2004 10:32am at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    From de Alba's bio:

-2003-Inducted us into the Order Of The Medieval Knights Of London
    Your point? It is just something added on there. It doesn't take away from the fact that his system is good.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by IronBuddha
    More MA history bullshit. From my understanding, the original Hwa Rang Do was lost and restarted in the 1960's. But then people went "did you just make this stuff up?!" and he went "no! it's 5000 years old! but i invented it.......5000 years ago.......".
    If I remember my Korean history correctly, the order of the Hwarang was disbanded by one of the ruling kings (whose name escapes me at this time). The king himself was a Hwarang warrior and over through the previous ruler, using the Hwarang. For fear of having the same thing happen to him he disbanded the group. There was not fighting system that was attributed to this group. They studied weapons and some form of unarmed combat, but to say it was a whole system would be a farce.

The Lee's studied HKD, and is rumored to exchange ideas with the KSW founders as well. This is why you will see a lot of the similar forms, weapons and uniforms used. I agree that just because your history is a joke doesn't mean that your system is joke.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So did they used the term Hwa Rang to deceive people? Or claim a false lineage and history?

I always wonder why people do that. Any ideas?

I'm starting up a Mohism movement again. I'm gonna claim a 2500 year history back to ancient China even though there hasn't been a Mohist in...well....well over 1300 years now. But I found this book...buried in China.....I had a vision that told me to dig and find ancient secrets of the ultimate super-neck breaking art of Mohism (which never had a hand to hand system to begin with but I will ignore that fact and charge lots of money!). WEE!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soldia,

It seems you've already been to their site and seen their point of view. I found a site where a different point of view can be seen: http://www.hwarang.org/Warning.html

Have a look at both sides and come up with your decision.
    Last edited by X_plosion; 1/12/2004 11:11am at .
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast