Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 5:20am

Style: Hayastan Grappling/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hwarang Do, is it a mcdojo?

I have been curious about this art for quite some time and I even tried to watch a class but they wouldn't let me even take a peep and told me to fill out some forms, watch a video in their office, talk to a counselor about the art and set up an appointment to take an introductory class. Which sounded like a lot of work so I never did it.

It's given me a lot of questions about its mcdojoness because of how secretive they are, how they seem a little cultish, I never have seen a hwarang do sparring match out of all the clips they allow online, never seen this most deadly art compete in NHB even though it has such an array of groundfighting and takedowns and they teach a NHB grappling and fighting class. and they use terms like guillotine, mount, sidemount, takedown, firemans carry, clinch, etc. All words I am sure they got from NHB and a lot of the moves seems like its been taken from wrestling or jiu jitsu but supposedly its been around for centuries in korea.

my question is has anyone taken this art and prove the validity of it? From all i have seen and read so far, all it is is a lot of white guys trying to be Korean.

Better yet has anyone sparred or rolled against a hwarang do person? Have they ever sparred or rolled outside of their school or art? Anyone seen its mcdojoness?

They use a lot of NHB moves mixed with tma moves, so im curious about its effectiveness. And i know hwarang do ppl watch MMA or at least know of it. Its weird, in sparring they do tkd sparring, point sparring, then grappling, boxing training, kickboxing training (which i gathered from the pics and captions), i even saw a pic of a thai clinch. But they have korean names for each of these moves claim they are not cross training, these are the ancient moves of the legendary hwarang warriors of korea...If so deadly, why no fight in NHB?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 5:38am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all those additions--I mean *ahem* ancient tradtitions--to their art, it sounds as if Hwarang Do might be an evolving style. However, as someone with some McDojo experience, I would bet money against that possibility. Let me give you a rundown:

They won't let you watch or participate in a class because they have to be certain about your character before they'll teach you (don't worry, though, a cheque made out to them will assuage any doubts).

Their **** is too deadly for the street, the ring and maybe even this dimension. As such, you can't show other people, you can't train with other people, you can't learn from other people and you can never EVER express doubt about its status as the single greatest fighting system in the history of the universe. Odds are, you won't be able to spar with normal rules, since so many of your techniques could wind up accidentally pulverizing the bones and evaporating the souls of your fellow students.

You can't pay on a monthly basis. In some ways, this is the worst part. There's always a possibiity that there's something to learn. However, if you can't leave when you are no longer satisfied with your training--at least not without eating a huge loss--then you get screwed. By making students commit to long-term contracts and keeping them sequestered away from all the ignorants and savages populating the rest of the martial arts world, they guarantee the loyalty and belief of their students. They also guarantee everlasting suckage.

Thank you, goodnight. Drive safe!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 5:55am

Style: Hayastan Grappling/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to get ranking in their system, you got to pay hundreds of bucks for a belt test and the price goes up for each belt and theres a ton of belts and you got to start out in another style before you can even rank in hwarang do, which equals a lot of $$$$ A lot with registration fees, class fees, membership fees, and some classes you have to pay extra or per class even though its required for the art.

for all that money you better be badass.

Cult Fro'

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 6:07am

supporting member
     Style: Gracie Barra JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some guy made a spin off of this art

http://www.hwarangdo.com/faq.htm
    look at the bottom

they say that he is corrupted and brought shame to the art

X

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Hwa Rang DoŽ - The martial art name: "The way of the flowering manhood." This is the name of the martial art identity that was founded in 1960 by Dr. Joo Bang Lee. He is the one who created the syllabus of this martial art for public instruction. He combined the spirit and philosophy of the ancient Hwarang warriors with the ancient secret Hwarang combat skills Um Yang Kwon that were passed to Dr. Lee from his master Suahm Dosa. "

"there have been some ignorant historians as well as ignorant martial art masters who have not understood the meaning of the terms listed above. They think that the ancient "Hwarang/Hwarangdo " (Hwarang and Rangdo) group of people is the same as the martial art identity "Hwa Rang DoŽ " founded by Dr. Joo Bang Lee in 1960. This has lead to confusion within the public about Hwa Rang DoŽ and the ancient Hwarang system. In addition to promoting the inaccuracies that have already occurred, there are many people who claim and copy the ancient kingdom of Silla's Hwarang history and use this as the history of their own martial art. This is not just a problem for the martial art Hwa Rang DoŽ, but it is also a problem for all other martial arts."

" The tradition of the Hwarang system has existed for over 2,000 years, and during this time it has developed into an incredibly influential force. The impact of the Hwarang system and people was strongly felt in the East Asian region in ancient times, and has also reverberated through time, leaving a lasting mark for us. The Korean combat skills originally began over 5,000 years ago with the formation of the Kochosun kingdom. In order to protect the people and their territory this kingdom began the development of a strong combative system. Later, over 2,000 years ago, the kingdom of Silla (BC 57) was formed and they began the development of their own warrior system. "

" was in 1942 that Lee's father went to Suahm Dosa at the So Kwang Sa temple in Ham Nam province of Korea (present time North Korea). He asked Suahm Dosa to teach two of his sons his ancient skills. Suahm Dosa accepted these brothers and began training them in the secret ancient Hwarang combat skills."

"And through the adherence to the Hwa Rang DoŽ Meng Sae, our five ethical rules and the founder's nine principles of human morality, we will have a strong moral mentality, which will ensure that our martial art Hwa Rang DoŽ will be passed on for at least another 2,000 years!"

Guhh... So is this supposed to be an old style or not!? They seem to alternate it in every other chapter. I'd almost be willing to bet it's in reality some kind of Hapkido variant...

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'd almost be willing to bet it's in reality some kind of Hapkido variant..."

i think you are giving it too much credit lol...
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 7:23am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if L2BL's link is correct tehn they support lessons for 3-5 year olds. That, for me, is a red flag, especially if you're looking for NHB training!

Combined with the secrecy and fixed-term contracts, I would definitely just give the place a miss.

X

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other weirdass Korean styles:

Hoi Jeon Moo Sool: http://www.hjms.com/MAIN_E01.htm

" Grandmaster Myong has studied martial arts since he was a child with his roots mainly in Hapkido, a soft style Self-Defense system with techniques dating back to over 6000 years ago. This martial art was introduced to Korea about the year 3 AD."

Han Moo Do:
    http://www.hanmoodonet.com/english.html

Founded in Finland by a Korean guy.

NOTE : I'm not claiming these are bad in any way... I know a guy who does Han Moo DO... Should probably ask him about differences with Hapkido.

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 8:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think their silky sashes and forearm wraps are SO cool !!
    Next only to the Kuk Sol Won uniforms.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 8:42am

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin69, oh and the fringes on the Kuk Sool Won uniforms.... so fancy!
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"
Page 1 of 25 1 234511 ... LastLast