Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 11:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using your own belt, or your opponent's belt, to apply a choke is ILLEGAL in every comp I have ever competed in (NAGA, COPA, Atlantic Cup, Grapplers Quest, Fla. State BBJ Championships) or watched; and the Fla State meet was under IBJJF rules. Hell, it is illegal to tuck your foot in the guys belt and push him back to escape mount.

So, are you saying that the guys shoot in, get the take down for 2 into your half-guard or guard, and then hug/smash stall for the remainder of the match? If so, that is truly weird and completely counterproductive for the development of any individual's BJJ game or any schools BJJ curriculum.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For this school, there's no easy answer. Your guard passes, half guard passes, and attacks from the guard including sweeps are going to have to get better to deal with a stalling opponent.
    That's why I joined this school. At my SBG school there is more emphasis on transitioning and keeping moving to get towards the submission. At the GB school it seems like the positioning isused to get points. If there ends up being a submission then that's fine as well.

I already know I have a pretty solid guard for a blue belt which is why I need to work on my top game. I think what I find mildly annoying is the emphasis on playing ot the rules instead of just doing jits and what comes just comes.

Another thing I like about this school is that since it is so tournament focused they do alot more standing techniques.

I have been training in jits now since 2001 with breaks here and there and injuries here and there. I have been to alot of schools and seen alot of different views of jits. This is just the first one to place so much emphasis on points and top game.

Added (after a PM I got, I think I should repeat this): I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, this is a great school to train at. People are friendly, the instructor knowledgeable,etc....it is just SOOOO different from any training I have ever done before.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 4/15/2009 12:01pm at . Reason: ust want to add the last bit
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 10:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been a couple of months, how has this been going? You feel like it's helping with the kind of Aggression and dealing with aggressive top guys that you wanted to get out of it or are you still feeling a little frustrated by the way the classes work?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 12:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, thanks for asking. ACtually I haven't been in a couple of months. I had to go to California for two weeks, when I came back I took a week off and now I am in India. I feel bad for missing so much class at a new school. I told the instructor that I haven't quit, I am just super busy with work which I have never been before. I am here until the 18th and hope to make it to the school the following Tuesday. I bet the other students think they ran me off.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 3:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I was looking forward to an update, well be careful in India, hit us with an update when you get back.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 9:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will do. Right now I am having a bad allergic reaction to something here so I might not be able to jump right back into training. Cows? Oh yeah they got cows. Pharmacies? Well, not so much.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234