NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    There is even a Wednesday morning 5:30am class.
    (Supressing Paul Simon joke.)
    I'll check it out right after last call next time I'm at the Scurvy Dog.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 12:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because it's late in the evening, and all the Jitsu's seeping throoough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 10:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Because it's late in the evening, and all the Jitsu's seeping throoough.
    Grumble, grumble. It's a good thing 99% of your posts in this forum are on topic, because I'd hate to have to delete your post after leaving M.C.'s.

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 12:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cyrijl,

That's a really interesting post and dilemma.

Gi BJJ strict tournament focus is going towards point focus and there's an element that's unrealistic in that. Anything around the legs is becoming more and more ridiculous - like any scramble position ending in something remotely like a 50/50 is a DQ. But in general good tournament schools have good BJJ. There's an element to the competition focus that keeps it real.

No Gi tournaments like NAGA are appealing in that less rules = more realistic. But training in a gi gives you better fundamentals in areas.

The other element is the makeup of the school in general. If everyone pushes you, that's a great place to train. Even if it's more 1-dimensional or has gaps, it's a personal choice where you feel you progress better

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found out something interesting about ibjjf gi rules. A teammate from my SBG school said that at a tournament he went to, backing out of guard could be a DQ. Maybe this is a whole separate thread, but that kind of rule just seems ridiculous. Poor helio must be turning in his grave.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The no falling to your back thing, is that a situational drill?

We have takedown drills where you loose and sit out if you pull guard. If they are saying never pull guard and always go for the TD you are going to always be down 2-0 to a good wrestler and likely have your guard passed at the same time and be down 5-0.

If the restriction is drill specific that is one thing, but if it is the school mantra? that is just crazy talk.

The rule/sub restrictions are common and vary school to school and instructor to instructor. My instructor allows anything unless he calls out a specific limitation prior to rolling, i.e., "OK, guys, pair up with someone you haven't gone with yet and no neck cranks or leg locks". But then again, there are certain techniques that should be avoided in training just because you'll come off as "the douchbag who neck cranks everyone from half-guard" and not make many friends that way.

If your not sure ask your training partner.

Often times I will wrap up a heel hook, transition to a knee bar, or lock a bicep slicer but just not finish and transition on or let the guy work out of it. There are a ton of tourneys that step beyond the limitations of the IBJJF and it seems stupid to limit yourself to a rule-set that is not applicable at every tourney.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 8:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas View Post
    The no falling to your back thing, is that a situational drill?

We have takedown drills where you loose and sit out if you pull guard. If they are saying never pull guard and always go for the TD you are going to always be down 2-0 to a good wrestler and likely have your guard passed at the same time and be down 5-0.
    These are only for situaiton drills, but the problem is that we seem to do alot of these. The senior student takes the bottom and we have to try to pass his half guard. But I noticed that the only switch happens when the guy gets tired or gets hurt.

If the restriction is drill specific that is one thing, but if it is the school mantra? that is just crazy talk.
    It seems as though the students would rather stall and win than go out and do jits. This is a hard change for me. I'd rather lose and have a good match. I mean, after all, for most of us, it is not our life.

The rule/sub restrictions are common and vary school to school and instructor to instructor. My instructor allows anything unless he calls out a specific limitation prior to rolling, i.e., "OK, guys, pair up with someone you haven't gone with yet and no neck cranks or leg locks". But then again, there are certain techniques that should be avoided in training just because you'll come off as "the douchbag who neck cranks everyone from half-guard" and not make many friends that way.
    Well I learned last night that it is ok to take your opponenta belt and wrap it around their neck. I said that is a ridiculous thing to allow in light of everything else that is illegal

If your not sure ask your training partner.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of 'advice' I have been getting.

Often times I will wrap up a heel hook, transition to a knee bar, or lock a bicep slicer but just not finish and transition on or let the guy work out of it. There are a ton of tourneys that step beyond the limitations of the IBJJF and it seems stupid to limit yourself to a rule-set that is not applicable at every tourney.
    I think all the rules are stupid. BJJ is going the way of judo. No leg locks, no spine locks, no slamming. Each of these can be prevented with proper training. I am fine with some restrictions for white belts....but no elbow slicers except for black belts? WTF is with that? I know people don't want to get hurt, but it makes people lazy and allows them to do things you wouldn't do in a fight. It is like judo, you could hae the most spectacular throw, but if it doesn't fit into a certain definition it doesn't count. A guy from Sub101 won his match with the electric chair and then was DQ'ed because they didn't know what the sub was. I think this is going to happen more and more.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any sense in letting players "threaten" with the banned techniques for points, but make cranking them for the sub illegal? At least people would practice staying out of them.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't. I got scolded for applying an elbow slicer on someone passing my guard. I wasn't tightening up even. Don't get me wrong, it is a good school. I don't want it to seem like I think I made a mistake. I need to ramp up my aggression. But right now it is a little too much a of a change to take it all in.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 9:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Belt choking? Are you fucking kidding me? What competition is that legal in? Cause you sure as **** can't do it at NAGA, or the Pan Ams, or any other competition I've ever heard of or seen. But I'll start tying one end of my belt into a noose if we can do that ****....
    That school sounds like it's full of pussies. No bicep splicers? DQs because you don't know WTF you just got owned by? DQs for backing out of guard? What kind of pussified organization is this? Send those pussies to NAGA where beginner NO-GI guys will neck crank them senseless.... Points? We don't need no fucking points. We're here to sub people. This ain't wrestling.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast