Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 5:50am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fradles View Post
    1-2g per kg of body weight, depending on your goals and how long you've been training. If you've been training and taking in protein at adequate levels for a while you wont need any more than 1.4g per kg of body weight(which is the recommended amount for experienced endurance athletes). As you train your body adapts to protein intake (more so if you have a decent diet) and becomes more efficient at using it, therefor you don't need as much.

Too much protein can cause stress on your liver and kidneys, but i wouldn't worry unless you were ingesting in excess of 300g per day...

*edit* thats a general guide, i think going off daily Kj as previously mentioned is a better bet...
    Can mods please remove this post? It is complete bullshit and spread of misinformation such as this is the reason why some trainees will never achieve their goals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 9:04am

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, 1.4g per kg (= 0.64g per lb) for an endurance athlete doesn't sound unreasonable. How many marathon winners have monster man baps?

Here's some anecdotal bullshit for ya:
    When I was experimenting with the Zone diet, the Crossfit people who recommend it so highly say that for a bog standard crossfitter (ie 5/6 short but intense sessions a week) 0.7g/lb is what to aim for with the rest of the diet built around that figure. Bear in mind that it's a calorifically restrictive diet. Over xmas I Zoned fairly strictly at about 0.75g/lb, doing 6 days a week with lots of HIIT rowing and a fair amount of weights (2 hours a day of training say), and I gained a small amount of muscle and lost about 5kg of fat.

Compare that to a few months I spent last year just doing weights (Starting Strength routine, apparently I'm a Rippetoe groupie :'( ) and aimed for about 1g/lb. I bulked up significantly more (prob gained 6kg) but the added muscle came with a fair amount of fat because I was just eating shitloads.

Shooting for 1g/lb was a push but managable, I did it without protein shakes too. Tuna and cheese are your friends. 1g/lb is touted for weight gain though. If you're trying to lose weight then obviously drop it. You didn't actually state your goals in OP so we can all just throw random advice at you forever :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 11:44am

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
    I weigh 96kg or 211 Pounds.

So that's either 96g or 211g of Protein per day, quite a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
    Grams per pound would be waaaay too much for me to take in during a day I think. I've just lost 15kg and part of the weight going on in the first place was too much protein.
    But 211g is just less than half a pound, someone enlighten me on how that could possibly sound like a lot ... over a whole day?
    Breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, supper, midnight snack. That's only 35g per 'meal', a smidgen.
    A nice big steak'd do it all at once!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 1:12pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a 4 ounce portion of beef tenderloin contains 28.64 g of protein according the the always reliable internets. a 7 ounce strip has 38.6. Basically, between 5 and 7 grams of protein per ounce if you do the math.

211 g divided by 6 means you're eating a 3-pound steak. Have you ever eaten a 3 lb steak? I know I couldn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 4:51am

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Skillful.

no, I couldn't eat a 3lb steak either...

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm actually dropping a few kilos to get into the under 95kg category but I'm also training every day so want to know how much protein to take in to help recovery and prevent atrophy really.

A website calculator decided that I need to be taking in 135g of Protein per day
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12