221993 Bullies, 4313 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 4:46am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Protein confusion

Guys, everywhere I go, people are telling me to eat different amounts of Protein per day.

Can someone please help me put this to bed once and for all?

I train 5-6 days a week; BJJ and Stronglifts 5x5 with sometimes a bit of HIIT thrown in too.

I've been told to make sure I have at least 1g of Protein per pound of body weight and per kilo. But these two numbers differ hugely so which is it?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 5:06am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Per kilo would be like 80-90 grams of protein. I'm a shitty nutritionist but I doubt that's particularly doable. Per pound would be more like 40-50 grams, wouldn't it?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 6:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I weigh 96kg or 211 Pounds.

So that's either 96g or 211g of Protein per day, quite a difference.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to base your protein intake on your total number of calories a day instead of your weight. X percent of your calories from protein to be adjusted up or down depending on your goals and activity level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 9:07am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 4:19pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least 1 gram per pound, something like DC would advocate 2+g per lb and I doubt many would argue with Dante's results. I strive for about 1.5g per lb. In general the more of your calories coming from protein the better in terms of body composistion.

Thats a lot of work so recovery must optimal, you need a lot of sleep and a lot of calories which makes it hard to eat clean I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 6:06pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rippetoe's Practical Programming book says that the per kilo is a government recommendation for sedentary fatties, and the per pound recommendation is for people training looking to gain weight.
    In my experience, going for a gram per pound was an increase on what i normally eat but achievable, and I've never aimed for per kilo, but it'd be a cut from my normal diet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 7:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1-2g per kg of body weight, depending on your goals and how long you've been training. If you've been training and taking in protein at adequate levels for a while you wont need any more than 1.4g per kg of body weight(which is the recommended amount for experienced endurance athletes). As you train your body adapts to protein intake (more so if you have a decent diet) and becomes more efficient at using it, therefor you don't need as much.

Too much protein can cause stress on your liver and kidneys, but i wouldn't worry unless you were ingesting in excess of 300g per day...

*edit* thats a general guide, i think going off daily Kj as previously mentioned is a better bet...
    Last edited by fradles; 4/08/2009 7:39pm at .

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 10:30pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since for some odd reason I can't edit my old post, I actually meant that the other way around; you're way less kilos than you are pounds [plus a gram is a metric measurement, isn't it?] so it'd probably be grams-kilos. That said now everyone's said grams-pounds so I'm not certain.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    4/09/2009 3:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grams per pound would be waaaay too much for me to take in during a day I think. I've just lost 15kg and part of the weight going on in the first place was too much protein.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast