Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight training for multiple goals

I'm no expert in this kind of thing, as I'm sure you're aware.
    I've noticed that most weight training programmes are tailored towards certain goals. Any bodybuilding plan is geared towards hypertrophy, and any powerlifting programme is geared towards strength and so on.
    I want to simultaneously use weight training to help for pretty much all major goals: Strength, power, hypertrophy and muscular endurance. I'm not especially weak, lacking in power, small or quick to gas, but I'm not great at any of these things either. How possible is it to train all of these at once with weights? What kind of programme would be good to follow?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 8:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burb View Post
    I want to simultaneously use weight training to help for pretty much all major goals: Strength, power, hypertrophy and muscular endurance.
    And I want a pony.

Seriously, though... in terms of long-term goals, wanting to gain all four of those things is good. Short-term, though, you should probably focus on one at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see. So would it be a case of focusing on one of these goals for a short period at a time, like a couple of weeks, or a longer time scale in order to improve in that area?
    And of such goals (raw strength, explosive power, muscular endurance), what would be their hierarchy of what should be trained first? Bearing in mind that there isn't one particular area holding me back.
    Last edited by Burb; 4/07/2009 9:08am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see. So would it be a case of focusing on one of these goals for a short period at a time, like a couple of weeks
    short period of time =/= couple of weeks.

short period of time == 8-12 weeks.

or a longer time scale in order to improve in that area?
    What would be the point of training for something for a given time frame if the goal is not to improve in that area? What would be the point of training for some time on aspect A and then stop to train on aspect B if you have not achieved an improvement in A?

And of such goals (raw strength, explosive power, muscular endurance), what would be their hierarchy of what should be trained first?

Attack the areas starting from the one you are the weakest. Don't look for a cookie cutter hierarchy. You have to make your own according to YOUR OWN SPECIFIC needs, strengths and weaknesses.

Bearing in mind that there isn't one particular area holding me back.
    How do you come up to that conclusion? You don't have a weak area?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 1:07pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get bigger and stronger from weight training, I would suggest lifting heavy weights. I'm sure, like me, you haven't hit or are near your peak. You also arent super strong or super big yet. Lifting heavy weights and eating is gonna make you bigger and stronger. Although those two components can be separated, you probably don't need to worry about that.

As far as endurance goes, at the end of each weight lifting session, do 50 burpees or 100 DB snatches or swings or something like that.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 9:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see. So would it be a case of focusing on one of these goals for a short period at a time, like a couple of weeks, or a longer time scale in order to improve in that area?
    In terms of block periodization, I've never seen a block shorter than a month.

And of such goals (raw strength, explosive power, muscular endurance), what would be their hierarchy of what should be trained first? Bearing in mind that there isn't one particular area holding me back.
    It usually goes max strength before power. Beyond that, it's up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 9:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho View Post
    How do you come up to that conclusion? You don't have a weak area?
    Of course I have weak areas. I'm a noob. I'm one big weak area. The weak area for me that comes to mind the most in MA is my skill.
    What I mean is, there's no area of my conditioning where I am being held back more than the others. For example, imagine a strong guy who tosses others around like ragdolls, but who gasses very quickly. First and foremost, what you'd want him to do is improve his endurance before you get him to continue work on his power.

And about periodisation, noted. I'll start reading up on it and it's applications, since I know almost nothing on it. Thanks.