Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2009 10:30pm

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Diet

Im pretty new to the subjects of diets and nutrion so im sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

What kind of diets do you guys have in relation to how much you train and what goals you are aiming for. Also id be curious if anyone would be able to recommend a good general diet for a person who is just starting out in taking martial arts as seriously as he can despite the lack of time i have to put into it.

A few details about myself before i start.

Im 20 and train in MA about five times a week.

Monday i train in krav maga for about an hour and a half

tuesday i train in brazilian jujitsu and mma for between 1 and three hours when i can make it. This isnt every week as i have college.

Wednesday i do kickboxing for about an hour.

thursday i do between 1 and 3 hours of brazilain jujitsu and mma and about 1 and a half hours of krav maga a week.

I usualy get one more bjj class on the weekend depending on work.

I know nothing about nutrition but am curious about what kind of things i should be eating and when. Also i know that protien is important to ensure muscle growth but do you need alot if your not body building.

On a side note i was 97kg 4 months ago im not 88kg but still feel im carring extra weight.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi mate, how tall are you and do you know your body fat %?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah i probably should have remembered to put that in.

Im 6,1 and acording to fit day my BMI is 25.6

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 5:57am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What makes you think there's something wrong with your current diet? Are you lacking energy or feeling unwell in someway?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 6:11am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Craig has a good point. Do you have any particular goals in mind?

I'm somewhere around 6`2 and 6`3, weigh in at around 96kg and look pretty lean. 88 sounds like a pretty healthy weight for you.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 6:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly i have a little to much weight around the midsection that i want to get rid of. On days i train i often feel leathargic after ive cooled down. Im not sure if this is normal or not but after mma training all i wanna do is sleep. In all fairness it is a pretty hard work out as my fitness is hardly up to scratch yet. Im less focused on a strict diet and more focused on what kind of foods to eat and when to eat them.

Ive been slowly cutting out the rubbish in my diet like pizza and choclate, i still eat them but only once in a while when i really feel like them rather than alot of the time.

My main goal is to get a bit healthier and lose excess weight. In the most simple form this equates to eat less move more.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I follow a strict seefood diet.

If I see food, I eat it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 7:12am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong to me. You're losing weight at a rate of about 1lb a week which is pretty healthy (assuming the weight loss you mentioned has been steady). 1lb of fat is roughly 3500 calories, which means to lose 1lb in a week you have a calorie deficit of around 500 per day. Given the amount of exercise you're doing you may be adding muscle as well.

Feeling tired after training for over 1.5 hours isn't surprising, particularly if it's an evening session. If you're feeling tired during the day before training, then that would be more indicative that you're not eating enough.

I'd carry on with what you're currently doing. Eat a varied diet including plenty of fruit and vegatables. Do you think you're still losing weight or have you hit plateau?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 7:52am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I've never had more energy than I've had since starting this guy's diet http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/. Most people are way too afraid of eating fat (especially saturated animal-based fats) to even consider it, but if you read through the past blogs, he makes some pretty convincing arguments against all the major studies claiming to strongly link cholesterol and heart failure. I especially enjoyed his recent criticisms and re-charting of the data of the Framingham study.

In short, it's sort of like the anabolic diet without the 2 days of carbs. The author, being a non-athlete, strives to get 80% of his calories from animal-based fats while getting sufficient protein for his needs and staying out of ketosis. The theory is that fat is actually the best source of energy off which to live. I get a far higher percentage of my calories from protein (animal-based) because I have higher demand for protein than the blog's writer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not sure. I dont think im losing weight as steadily as i was but i assume the closer you get to an ideal weight the slower it will come off. At the moment im eating chicken more than anything and trying to get more vegitables in my diet.

I have a habit of skipping breakfast aswell which i know is not a good idea.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast