Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Melbourne Martial Arts, Australia

First of all: if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move

Long story short, I'm looking to start Muay Thai but want to cross train (mainly in some bjj), I live in Melbourne and there's a few places I'm looking at, the most promising being this place:

http://www.melbmartialarts.com.au/public/

It offers Muay Thai, BJJ, Arnis, Kyokushin Karate (which I've previously trained in already) and Boxing. It honestly seems like it's EXACTLY what I'm after, but I was hoping someone here has had personal experience with them - in particular with their Muay Thai, as I want to learn Muay Thai not rebranded Western Kickboxing, and any info on the quality of their BJJ would be awesome aswell.

On top of this, any recommendations on other places worth a look would be great aswell, keeping in mind I live very close to the CBD of Melb (North Melbourne) and don't reeeally want to have to catch 3 trains, absail down a cliff face, catch a bus then hike through 30km of desert just to get to my classes unless it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally worth it for some reason.

Cheers in advance

Oh - and Hi. First post. Great forum :).

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mate, i know a couple of guys that train down there. From what i can tell its mainly a kyokushin gym that has added some kickboxing to their curriculum so i don't know how authentic their MT training is. Their BJJ Blackbelt apparently had only arrived on our shores from Brasil 2 months ago and my friend seem to really praise his coaching.

Have you checked out Dominance MMA in Richmond? which is incidentally where i train.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out the gym, try classes and ask questions. I've heard decent things about Melb MA and about Dominance. I dont actually live in melbourne, but i do suggest using gym and buisness directories online to find out if there are other schools nearby.

Also while you're there ask if theres other gyms in the area, most melbourne guys know what gyms are good nearby, and will unlikley take offence to you asking. As long as you're not an ass about it. I guess.

Welcome to BS, melbournite!

Also, chingrish, were you at the BJJ vic champs just gone? I fought a couple of Dom chicks. I think.
    Last edited by syberia; 4/06/2009 8:18pm at .
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia View Post
    Check out the gym, try classes and ask questions. I've heard decent things about Melb MA and about Dominance. I dont actually live in melbourne, but i do suggest using gym and buisness directories online to find out if there are other schools nearby.

Also while you're there ask if theres other gyms in the area, most melbourne guys know what gyms are good nearby, and will unlikley take offence to you asking. As long as you're not an ass about it. I guess.

Welcome to BS, melbournite!

Also, chingrish, were you at the BJJ vic champs just gone? I fought a couple of Dom chicks. I think.
    Hey yeah i was, i wasn't in the best condition but managed to score myself a bronze. Did you fight Lydia? How did you go?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingrish View Post
    Hey yeah i was, i wasn't in the best condition but managed to score myself a bronze. Did you fight Lydia? How did you go?
    Yeah, No gi, I lost. My own fault, i pulled guard but couldnt manage to set up the sweep. I nearly got an armbar, but again i didn't manage to set it up well. She won after passing guard and holding side control. Wasn't my best work, and i seriously need to work on my guard game. She fought pretty well.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh cool, I think i saw bits of your fight, but i think i was distracted by the Brown belts fight on the otherside where one of our guys was throwing the other guy all over the place =P

Its a shame your division isn't bigger though...

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingrish View Post
    oh cool, I think i saw bits of your fight, but i think i was distracted by the Brown belts fight on the otherside where one of our guys was throwing the other guy all over the place =P

Its a shame your division isn't bigger though...
    Yeah, i wish i had've got more fights, but what can you do? It was fun and i got a t-shirt and a medal out of it.
    Thinking of doing the comp at your gym in a couple of weeks. If i can make it.

In the SA champs last year i fought in the guys Div. I was the only chick there.

I'm not going this year, it'll probly be a total sausage fest... ;)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on your bronze, by the way. What division were you in?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember right, John Will's main dojo is down Geelong way, which may or may not be too far a hike for you. You said you lived in Melbourne, which area exactly?
    You probably aren't interested but Caulfield judo club is also worth thinking about. It's run by an 8th dan and is home to quite a few Olympic judoka, and they train very, very hard.
    Also, if you PM TheWolf, he may be able to help you out. Top bloke, teaches MT/MMA if I remember right. And jesus is he an intimidating looking fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaarashi View Post
    If I remember right, John Will's main dojo is down Geelong way, which may or may not be too far a hike for you. You said you lived in Melbourne, which area exactly?
    You probably aren't interested but Caulfield judo club is also worth thinking about. It's run by an 8th dan and is home to quite a few Olympic judoka, and they train very, very hard.
    Also, if you PM TheWolf, he may be able to help you out. Top bloke, teaches MT/MMA if I remember right. And jesus is he an intimidating looking fighter.
    He mentioned being close to the CBD.

Wolf teaches out near Preston i think.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last