Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:33pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Rupture Clothing: American Made MMA Gear and Apparel Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stray_bullet View Post
    So you're wanting him to get fired because you don't agree with him?
    No, I want him to get fired because he's an uninformed douchebag who thinks MMA is crap, and keeps saying so to an audience that listens.

My disagreeing with him is implicit. Do you agree with him?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And - Good Lord guys - other MMA forums are roasting this guy. Is there something I'm missing???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruptureclothing View Post
    Here you go. One of the most uneducated pieces of journalism ever published:

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10162545

I'd give you highlights, but this is such a rolling train wreck you can basically throw a dart and hit one.
    I'm not sure if I'll sign the petition just yet, as you just put this guy on my radar.
    The article above was one of the worst pieces of crap I have ever read, filled with obvious personal bias, and plane old lack of talent.
    I'll be looking out for this guy now.

Now I have to do Push-ups
    Last edited by johnny3443; 4/04/2009 9:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:46pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That witch hunts are for douchebags?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stray_bullet View Post
    That witch hunts are for douchebags?
    No. That MMA is human cockfighting, requires no skills, and the fans are a bunch of idiots. That kind of stuff. Did you read the article? Johnny linked it again above my last post.

And - easy on the personal attacks. I haven't called you any names. I suggest you refrain from doing same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:53pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruptureclothing View Post
    No, I want him to get fired because he's an uninformed douchebag who thinks MMA is crap, and keeps saying so to an audience that listens.

My disagreeing with him is implicit. Do you agree with him?
    I enjoy MMA, just got home from a show tonight in fact, but I think the guy should be allowed his say, even if it's biased.

I'd be willing to bet the people that agree with his articles agreed before they read them. "That UFC fighting, it's a bunch of crap. No finesse. Boxing is truly the sweet science." Which pretty much amounts to "I really dont have a fucking clue so I'm gonna compare it so something that I enjoy and understand."

I can't imagine him getting many converts. Live and let live.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I signed,

I don't think anything this guy says will hurt MMA.

People watch MMA, for multiple reasons. A very big, and often sole, reason people watch is the brutality of it all.

It is what it is, and People are always looking for the next bit of senseless violence...

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moose, I'm glad you signed.

The main reason I hate this guy is because he uses his press credentials to hurt the sport. Believe it or not, he has a ton of readership. But perception is reality.

For instance, a lot of people I meet outside the sport immediately refer to how brutal MMA is, how dangerous it is. If you're not an educated MMA fan, you often get your opinons from the press.

Here's an interesting quote from an article (I won't link it because it's on another MMA site). The title of the article is: MMA injuries report: A five-year review (2002-2007)

"
    Quoteworthy:
    “During the 635 professional MMA matches, 300 of the 1,270 athletes sustained documented injuries with an injury rate of 23.6 per 100 fight participations. Most common reported injuries were lacerations and upper extremity injuries. Severe concussion rate was 15.4 per 1,000 athlete exposures, or 3% of all matches. No deaths or critical sports-related injuries resulted from any of the regulated matches during the study period. Age, weight, and fight experience did not statistically increase the likelihood of injuries after controlling for other covariates.”
    The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Emergency Medicine recently published a report of a five year study of injuries sustained during sanctioned mixed martial arts competition that took place in Nevada. The conclusion: the overall risk of critical sports-related injury appears low. "

This was a five-year study done by Johns Hopkins. Yet data like this is hardly ever spoken of by sports journalists. The fact that statistically, professional MMA has only had ONE fatality that I know of - incidentally, that person came out of the Revolution Houston camp my partner Fadi trained at - and the fact that MMA is statistically safer than many sports, including soccer, gymnastics, and baseball somehow seems to get "lost" in the spin of the press. Words like "barbaric", "human cockfighting", "thuggish" are far more interesting.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    someone on the boards said, " Hey, if MMA is human cockfighting, why isn't track called human dogracing?"

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:25pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Couple of things I'll toss out.

First, I've got to agree somewhat on the view re: Dana White and use of tact. It's my personal opinion that those higher ups who generally represent an organization/business/sport/community/whatever need to be conscious of the fact that people will judge what they represent by their behavior no matter what. I'm not saying that he needs to be Mr. PoliticallyCorrectNiceGuy, but some self-censorship is in order.

Second, I also believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how poorly uninformed they can sometimes be.

Third, I signed the petition. Mainly because 1. I read a number of Mike Freeman's other articles beyond what have been posted so far, and I think he's a piss poor journalist at best. 2. He's uninformed and seems to have a personal vendetta and slings mud frequently against a legitimate, established sport. Again in my view opinions are fine to have, but I'd expect a higher quality of writing coming from a professional sports journalist as opposed to pursuing petty personal agendas.

Finally, his love of Boxing and hatred of MMA is deliciously hypocritical.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast